Cam Newton signs with New England. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton signs with New England.

SCam has not been good (or healthy) the last couple seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stidham or Hoyer are starting for them Week 1.
He didn’t play well simply because he was healthy. If he is still not fully healthy he obviously won’t be as effective as he was before all of his injuries. Yet if he has been able to regain his health with all his time off, he will be a QB that the Dolphins and every other team that played NE will have to contend with.

I would much rather the Dolphins play against Stidham or Hoyer than a healthy Newton any day of the week.

He didn’t play well simply because he was healthy. If he is still not fully healthy he obviously won’t be as effective as he was before all of his injuries. Yet if he has been able to regain his health with all his time off, he will be a QB that the Dolphins and every other team that played NE will have to contend with.

I would much rather the Dolphins play against Stidham or Hoyer than a healthy Newton any day of the week.

I'm never seeing him be near the same guy.

We shall see!

It appears some people have forgotten that the Patriots went 11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel playing QB when Brady missed the entire season injured. A healthy Newton is a far better QB than Cassel ever was and the Patriots still have a top 10 defense and Belichick.

With Newton , I think the Patriots will win the division again and the Bills will come in 2nd. The Dolphins and Jets will once again fight to stay out of the bottom of the AFC East. I agee that for the Dolphins it will be 2021 before they become a factor In the AFC East.

come on!!! That patriots team was an all star team that won every game the year before. This one doesn’t compare offensively. In addition, Matt Cassel had 27 TD’s, 7 picks and went to the playoffs the next year in KC. Maybe he went on a bit of a run back then. Newton has never thrown less than 10 picks in his career. Like I said in 2015 Newton was exceptional, other than that he’s a 19-24 passing TD with 13-17 picks and.a 59% passer. He’s been on 3 winning teams in his entire career in Carolina. We’ll see how it plays out but I’m not looking back at the
matt Cassel years in NE and becoming intimidated.

Cam hasn't been 100% in a few seasons. I guess he is better from the rotator cuff surgery on his throwing arm. He's had at least 2 plus he has a lisfranc fracture issue. He has always been very inconsistent and I see this being a bad marriage for BB.

Great signing for the Pats. One thing to keep in mind though is Cam has always been inaccurate and we’ve got ourselves a secondary. If Cam can still run he’ll be a problem. I still believe if Miami’s OL is improved we win the division.

FWIW, not sure if it has been mentioned, Cam's supporting cast in Carolina was probably stronger than what he will be working with in NE. McCaffrey and Moore over Michel and Edelman everyday of the week.

It appears some people have forgotten that the Patriots went 11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel playing QB when Brady missed the entire season injured. A healthy Newton is a far better QB than Cassel ever was and the Patriots still have a top 10 defense and Belichick.

With Newton , I think the Patriots will win the division again and the Bills will come in 2nd. The Dolphins and Jets will once again fight to stay out of the bottom of the AFC East. I agee that for the Dolphins it will be 2021 before they become a factor In the AFC East.

Did the Pats win the East that year?

Miami on paper is going to have a much better Defense yhis year, with more weapons, and solid players on offense.

Good luck to Cam trying to complete deep passes on our Scondary....good luck on Cam showing the same perfect timing, and accuracy to complete passes on us, and if hr takes off, this years team against the run is going to be much better then last year.

AFC east will be tough division this yr.9-7 or 10-6. Will win division

Just because Belicheat is still there doesn't mean Newton will pick up up in his system. If that system was easy to learn they would have ditched Brady a LONG time ago.
Why would they have ditched Brady a long time ago. Perhaps you have forgotten how many SB’s they won with Brady at QB and how many playoffs games they won while he was there.

Brady was a perfect fit for the NE offense and while I can’t stand the Patriots because of their fans and because of how much they have dominated the AFC East for nearly 2 decades. I also to give Belichick and Brady credit for all the success they have had over all those years.

Why would they have ditched Brady a long time ago. Perhaps you have forgotten how many SB’s they won with Brady at QB and how many playoffs games they won while he was there.

Brady was a perfect fit for the NE offense and while I can’t stand the Patriots because of their fans and because of how much they have dominated the AFC East for nearly 2 decades. I also to give Belichick and Brady credit for all the success they have had over all those years.
Because they could sign any QB they wanted and probably for a much cheaper price and still won. But Brady clearly understood that offense better than any other player, including Cassel and Cassel had the benefit of being on the team longer to learn the system. Newton will be coming in cold and is already being deemed some messiah for the Pats without ever seeing how he plays in their system.

Newton has been with the same team for eight years and really hasn't been relevant since 2015. He has a lot to over come in order to help that team win. Sure they might win the East but as it was pointed out once already, when the Pats got to the playoffs without Brady, it didn't end well. I personally see the same thing happening here. This move definitely feels more like a gap stop more than a long term solution. In my opinion it gives the Pats a chance at replacing their lost third round draft pick and allow Stidham (sp) more time to learn the system.

Newton isn't designed for this offense and I'd be really curious if McDaniels could build an offense around him. Kyle Orton was decent in JM's offenses but nothing special. Newtons last time playing fully healthy at the start of 2018 he actually looked pretty damn good again before he hurt his shoulder. He tried playing thru the shoulder injury, and too much cliche, but looked like a monkey ****ing a football. His mechanics were way off, he looked like there was a hitch and that he was throwing the ball downward. It was even reported in the local papers that he could barely get the ball 20 yards down field, but he was still the best option.

Last year he had the ****ed up ankles so could step off right and was not a legit option to run. If you can force him to be a pocket passer without the defense not worried about the risk of running then teams can plan around him easier. The question is... after having the shoulder injuries in 2018 and ankle injuries in 2019.. Yes sure he can come back healthy at 100% but how gun shy is he going to be.

I'm not saying oh **** the Panthers got Cam Newton, but i wouldnt write him off. Heres the things you have to look at...

1) Can he be a quick read QB...I dont think so
2) Who's his safety valve...despite all the weapons he had in Car, Greg Olson was always there to bail him out when needed...do the pats have that.... i dont see one
3) Will Belichek throtting back his personality effect him? When Richardson ran the Panthers he preached to Cam about trying to be professional, after J Rich left is when Cam started showing more flamboyancy... I do see them butting heads at some point
4) How will he adjust to cold weather games. He'll probably play more this season than he has in the past 4-5 seasons....np clue, bothers some, not others.
5) Is he 100% healthy.... i think so
6) Can he beat out Stidham. This will be the most interesting thing I'll keep an eye on. Cam has not been in a QB competition since his Florida days. a 100% healthy and focused Newton has alot more god given talent than stidham (I'm assuming, i know nothing about the kid, just know that newton was blessed with talent) This is 100% going to come down to Newtons brain and his heart.

I honestly thought that he'd wind up in Atl or Jacksonville for a season when i thought the pats had backed out. Atl is his home and despite Matty Ice never getting hurt, Newton would have another year to be 100% healed and be near his home. And with Jacksonville, if Minshew had the sophmore slump then Newton wouldnt been a bad quick trigger.

Lost a lot of key components on defense this off season, also their offense wasnt looking that great. Besides a few rookie TE's what have they upgraded on that side of the ball?

Back
Top Bottom