Cam Smith situation explained? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Smith situation explained?

I'm calling bullsh*t here. We started Eathan Fuc***g Bonner a undrafted free agent over our second round pick? There's a problem here. Can Smith not understand the defensive position he's supposed to play? Is his technique that bad? WTF is going on here? Did he piss the Godfather off?

Bad post dude you realize Ethan Bonner is cb 1 for the all white team right?

The one thing I will say positively is that it also took Cam awhile at South Carolina.

He was torched repeatedly as a freshman but consistently got better with each season.

I’m extremely familiar with him as he played at TL Hanna high school which is right up the road from me so I saw him quite a few times up close.

Good size and length but it took time in high school for him as well. He didn’t really come on the scene until late in his junior year when he had a huge playoff game with 3 picks and that put him on the radar for the big schools.

I didn’t really love the pick when we made it bc I knew he probably wouldn’t contribute much this year but as I’m saying now… I’m hoping his trend of taking a little time going back to high school through college and now the pros will continue.

The actual problem is Grier using our premium picks (top 3 rounds) on guys who aren’t ready to contribute and play right away. We’re all in so we need to be making draft picks for right now and not just looking at the future. We needed depth in the secondary but instead he takes a guy who going back to high school has showed that it takes time for him.

To me that kind of player is a luxury pick. A guy that you pick a year ahead of time to give time to develop and then take over for an aging vet. But you still expect a 2nd round pick to play and play a lot.

19 defensive snaps for a 2nd round pick? That’s just incredibly awful.

I doubt KK goes anywhere. He doesn't make big $. What are you replacing him with, and at what cost?

Despite the bashing he takes around here, he's an above average slot cover, very good in run support, and a sure tackler against screens and flat routes. Not his fault he was forced into outside duty.

I cut almost everyone a certain amount of slack due to a new, complex scheme, where DBs are passing receivers off through zones. Unless ppl actually know the call and break down the play, it's altogether possible that the breakdown occured with a completely different player than the guy that ended up looking like toast.

Don't trust everything ppl purport here as being gospel.
KK is in his second offensive scheme in his second year being asked to cover the outside. He struggled, which isn't surprising at all. Cam Smith didn't see the field much which actually doesn't surprise me much either. The mentality that rookies are busts if they don't come in a immediately light it up is foolish. Even first rounders. That only happens very rarely. CB is a very difficult position and takes time to master. I think KK and Smith will improve.

He seemed like a luxury pick when the selection was made
He should be playing significant snaps next season, especially if X is gone.
In the current NFL, early round picks are not supposed to marinate for long.

They had better find somebody soon at CB2 to step up because Howard is on the clock. Who's behind on the depth chart is a total question mark. Cam Smith could be the next Iggy or Tindall on Defense when it comes to draft or pre season hype. Just happy we've got decent Safety's otherwise that DB unit would be seriously underpowered going into next season.

Kader wss somewhat overrated on this board. He got away with lots of holding last year.
There was. Thread would you trade kader for a second rounder lol. Last year.

I was said of course. But who the **** would have offered a second round pick for him last year. This board overrates phin players

The one thing I will say positively is that it also took Cam awhile at South Carolina.

He was torched repeatedly as a freshman but consistently got better with each season.

I’m extremely familiar with him as he played at TL Hanna high school which is right up the road from me so I saw him quite a few times up close.

Good size and length but it took time in high school for him as well. He didn’t really come on the scene until late in his junior year when he had a huge playoff game with 3 picks and that put him on the radar for the big schools.

I didn’t really love the pick when we made it bc I knew he probably wouldn’t contribute much this year but as I’m saying now… I’m hoping his trend of taking a little time going back to high school through college and now the pros will continue.

The actual problem is Grier using our premium picks (top 3 rounds) on guys who aren’t ready to contribute and play right away. We’re all in so we need to be making draft picks for right now and not just looking at the future. We needed depth in the secondary but instead he takes a guy who going back to high school has showed that it takes time for him.

To me that kind of player is a luxury pick. A guy that you pick a year ahead of time to give time to develop and then take over for an aging vet. But you still expect a 2nd round pick to play and play a lot.

19 defensive snaps for a 2nd round pick? That’s just incredibly awful.
I don't like late bloomers in early rounds. You are just asking to be disappointed. Those rounds should be filled with guys who were elite at every age.

Also, I got a howl at the notion that Grier should be excused for the Noah pick because the other cornerbacks in that draft busted also. What kind of ****eyed logic is that?

"Hey boss, I drafted into the worst position in the draft. We had no shot no matter what I did, and believe me I loved those other guys almost as much as Noah."

KK is in his second offensive scheme in his second year being asked to cover the outside. He struggled, which isn't surprising at all. Cam Smith didn't see the field much which actually doesn't surprise me much either. The mentality that rookies are busts if they don't come in an immediately light it up is foolish. Even first rounders. That only happens very rarely. CB is a very difficult position and takes time to master. I think KK and Smith will improve.
This is true. I don’t think Sam Madison nor Surtain nor Howard did all that much as rookies. They did get more playing time though - then again they weren’t behind really good players.

I don't like late bloomers in early rounds. You are just asking to be disappointed. Those rounds should be filled with guys who were elite at every age.

Also, I got a howl at the notion that Grier should be excused for the Noah pick because the other cornerbacks in that draft busted also. What kind of ****eyed logic is that?

"Hey boss, I drafted into the worst position in the draft. We had no shot no matter what I did, and believe me I loved those other guys almost as much as Noah."
Bro you’re preaching to the choir believe me.

I agree with everything you said.

I’m just saying I’m very familiar with Cam and know his career trajectory since he was a kid. Just hoping that trend will continue and he will consistently get better and prove to be a worthy starter level player.

This year is done and over and believe me… I’ve b*tched and b*tched that we used the pick on a guy that required time but this year is over so we can continue to b*tch… I’m sure we will… but it doesn’t matter now.

Back
Top Bottom