Cam Wake By The Numbers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Wake By The Numbers

Olivier Vernon is the boat, and Terrence Fede is the Mystery Box.

In the limited snaps Fede got, he sure looked the part.

Quick off the ball, strong POA, and decent moves. The fact he's still here and getting better already makes it a successful 7th rounder.

Quick off the ball, strong POA, and decent moves. The fact he's still here and getting better already makes it a successful 7th rounder.

I'm looking for more out of Fede this year, especially since he made some plays last year. I don't care if he was a seventh rounder. He got on the field and made some plays. He can definitely be a Shelby-type player.

There is no telling where he would of gotten drafted had he gone to a big school probably a lot earlier, Now do I think Fede is going to be a dominant defensive end no, But a good quality/back up defensive end absolutely.

There is no telling where he would of gotten drafted had he gone to a big school probably a lot earlier, Now do I think Fede is going to be a dominant defensive end no, But a good quality/back up defensive end absolutely.

And that's precisely my point. Whether you plan on letting Vernon walk or not, Terrence Fede shouldn't be figured prominently into future any plans the GM might have. Any time or energy spent wishing or hoping that he'll turn into something serviceable enough to make you feel better about Vernon walking, is wasted.

He also only played 81 defensive snaps last year. I feel that if you're good enough, you can get on the field more than that even as a rookie. The probability that a seventh round pick from a small school will become a second-year late-bloomer worth investing in long term are so low that I don't feel it's even worth considering as a realistic option (Tannenbaum probably feels the same way). I'm sure the same people in this thread who previously listed names of late round successful players in opposition to my view will also be compelled to rattle off a handful of late-round players who didn't play much in their first year and went on to make names for themselves, completely and gleefully ignoring just how low the historical probability of that is.

Olivier Vernon is the boat, and Terrence Fede is the Mystery Box.

That's funny as hell, but nobody is suggesting simply dump Vernon for Fede at this point. Just saying we might have something in him. We will have a much better idea of that by the time we have to make a decision on what to offer Vernon.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

[video]https://vine.co/v/ObnIw26WPii[/video]

I watch this highlight, and I can't get Aerosmith's "Ragdoll" out of my head.

It's not that people want Wake replaced . . . it's looking at the salary and looking at how ineffective he was against the run to the point that he couldn't be trusted many times down the stretch because he was somewhat of a liability. That really got magnified in those final 6 games along with Wake being kept on the sidelines catching wind because he was out of gas. I mean people saw the games, lets not act like this did not happen. We ran Odrick/Vernon much more late in the season, and those guys just aren't pass rushers . . . we need Wake on the field.

But let's get one thing straight, you certainly couldn't of replaced him this year . . . you literally have nobody you can trust to rush the passer on this team, and in all honesty, you probably aren't going to uncover that going into next offseason . . . so I wouldn't even worry. Wake is the only "top level" pass rusher on this team and even if he becomes a situational only pass rusher over the course of the next year or 2 . . . then so be it . . . one of the better things Jeff Ireland did was get him under contract at a VERY reasonable deal . . . so it isn't a big deal unless he completely falls off, which I couldn't see happening during his current contract. His level of play could slowly start declining as soon as this year, but he'll still be the best at what he does on this team.

It's not that people want Wake replaced . . . it's looking at the salary and looking at how ineffective he was against the run to the point that he couldn't be trusted many times down the stretch because he was somewhat of a liability. That really got magnified in those final 6 games along with Wake being kept on the sidelines catching wind because he was out of gas. I mean people saw the games, lets not act like this did not happen. We ran Odrick/Vernon much more late in the season, and those guys just aren't pass rushers . . . we need Wake on the field.

But let's get one thing straight, you certainly couldn't of replaced him this year . . . you literally have nobody you can trust to rush the passer on this team, and in all honesty, you probably aren't going to uncover that going into next offseason . . . so I wouldn't even worry. Wake is the only "top level" pass rusher on this team and even if he becomes a situational only pass rusher over the course of the next year or 2 . . . then so be it . . . one of the better things Jeff Ireland did was get him under contract at a VERY reasonable deal . . . so it isn't a big deal unless he completely falls off, which I couldn't see happening during his current contract. His level of play could slowly start declining as soon as this year, but he'll still be the best at what he does on this team.

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying, but as good a deal as we got on him with his current contract, I doubt we will save much money on him with a renegotatiated contract even if his play falls off somewhat. Especially as much as DE salaries are appreciating.

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying, but as good a deal as we got on him with his current contract, I doubt we will save much money on him with a renegotatiated contract even if his play falls off somewhat. Especially as much as DE salaries are appreciating.

Yea no question. The reason why you make the moves you did with Wallace/Hartline/Ellerbe/Wheeler/Gibson, among other things, is to take the cap hits this year so you can keep guys like Cam Wake and potentially Brent Grimes in 2016 . . . or at least make it easier to keep them.

You are right, they aren't renegotiating anything on a final year, unless it's to extend the deal. So either he plays for the 8.5 million next year and 2017 he can become a UFA or we extend him for another year or 2 and he retires a Dolphin. He won't be getting cut . . . outside of some unforseen fall off as a pass rusher, which I don't see. Dion Jordan (when being drafted) was the one guy who could of made Wake expendable, potentially in 2016, but that is a joke now. He'll be here.

When I posted Fede and McCain could have a bearing on Vernon, I was thinking the combo. IF they both develop, Fede could be a 2 down DE with McCain at DE on passing downs when we use 2 LB's. We'll see how they develop, and we could also use Misi at DE with McCain in coverage in some passing downs like we have done with OV. Just looking at a potential option.

Back
Top Bottom