Can Ford Really Make Carroo Expendable… Or Is It Just Hype? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Ford Really Make Carroo Expendable… Or Is It Just Hype?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
download.jpg

Ford missed the last day of camp with a sleeve on his knee… Problems ahead?

Both Ford and Carroo are inexperienced on Special Teams and have health concerns.
So in many ways, they are in a dead heat.

With a wide-lensed comparison, Miami should first be applauded for getting such good value late with Ford’s pick. Though a fair counterpoint is, Tannenbaum spent too much reaching for Carroo… unless he reaches near Pro Bowl form.

For that 6th wide receiver spot, my money is on second-year player Isaiah Ford. But from a health standpoint, Carroo has only minor knee issues while Ford blew his knee out last season. This could play heavily in the final decision.

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dol...ly-make-carroo-expendable-or-is-it-just-hype/

I'm more positive on Carroo than most people, but I think any NFL future he has might be with his second team and not the Dolphins. While I also like Ford I'm not sure either has that much more value over some practice squad options or vet free agents that might be available during the season. I'm not sure I see the value of keeping 6 receivers, seeing that Wilson, Amendola, Grant, Parker and Stills are pretty much roster locks barring injuries or trade. I'm a believer in the theory that with so many college teams throwing throwing the ball there will always be number 5 or 6 type receivers that you can get as free agents during the season or by poaching another team's practice squad. For example if Miami needed a receiver to produce this season I don't think Carroo's or Ford's odds are much better than someone like veteran Michael Floyd or Marquess Wilson and Floyd isn't on a roster at the moment and it's unlikely Wilson will be come September. Or you can think of it this way, if there are 15 to 20 rookie receivers on rosters come September that means there are 20 players that were deemed roster worthy last season that will be on the market.

Last edited:
I'm more positive on Carroo than most people, but I think any NFL future he has might be with his second team and not the Dolphins.

agreed. i dont know the exact number of snaps, but it feels like he hasnt had a lot of in-game opportunity here and certainly not as the primary. this could be a guy that goes somewhere else and gets a greater opportunity and flourishes. too many people ahead of him here for that.

Tannenbaum spent too much reaching for Carroo… unless he reaches near Pro Bowl form.

So a 2016 sixth round pick, plus a future (2017) third and fourth round pick, to acquire a player in the third round of the 2016 draft is only a success if that player reaches near Pro Bowl form?

Huh?

agreed. i dont know the exact number of snaps, but it feels like he hasnt had a lot of in-game opportunity here and certainly not as the primary. this could be a guy that goes somewhere else and gets a greater opportunity and flourishes. too many people ahead of him here for that.

He hasn't gotten many opportunities for a reason, he hasn't shown coaches he deserves them.

He hasn't gotten many opportunities for a reason, he hasn't shown coaches he deserves them.
My thoughts exactly.

Especially when we see someone like Grant come in and command more playing time because he wowed in the limited snaps he was given.

Sleeve on Ford's knee is a significant point of "interest," which could easily evolve into a concern. I've been high on Ford since the V8 and still believe (rather strongly) the kid has the core chops to be a legit N F L pig catcher.

Carroo? Seems out of his league.

Beyond that, given the history we're all equally (or relatively) familiar with, beating out Carroo would be no major accomplishment -- other than TBums obvious motivation to defend his crap decision on that trade.

Put another way -- if Carroo had came into the league as a late round pick or UFA this discussion wouldn't even be relevant.

Last edited:

People say that, but you could say that was greatly influenced by the fact that Stills and Landry played in every game the prior two seasons and Parker missed three. How many young number four receivers get a lot of time if the three players ahead of them stay healthy? Remember Parker gets crap here for his production and he had more receptions than any other AFC number three wide receiver and more than a great deal of number two receivers. For the record Parker was tied for 15th in the AFC for receptions by a wide receiver. Pittsburgh, New England and the Jets were the only other teams with two wide receivers ahead of Parker. The most receptions by a AFC teams second highest producing wide receiver was 63 by Robbie Anderson of the Jets. Amendola was second with 61 and Stills was next at 58. Parker despite being hampered by injuries and paying with Cutler had 57 receptions only 6 fewer than Anderson's total.

Last edited:
I think there was a lot of hope with Ford last year, so there is no reason to believe that it wouldn’t carry over to this year .... we could really use him, that’s for sure. We have a lot of ‘small’ speed, we need to have some size beyond Parker and TEs ....

Hope he comes through!

Carrying 6 WRs on the active roster isn’t always done, so that alone makes Carroo expendable. Having 2 rookie TEs we invested high draft picks on is going to be the true enemy of the 6th WR. If one of them isn’t ready by the end of the camp they could eat a roster spot, and force Miami to keep 5 WR.

With Carroo and now Ford nursing knees it’s hard to say if one will put play the other. We also don’t know who will get injured in camp. I dont think you can count out Scott in this competition. He out played Carroo once already.

We have alot of recievers who get knicked up easily and are on the smaller side making it important that RT spread the rock around and not get locked onto i reciever like a Laundry. This will help to keep them healthy hopefully. Because of the health concerns I say we keep 6 Caroo to start the season and Forde on PT to start the season. The rookies TE and Gore are where we might find our sucess from a consistently stand point.

Funny thing is we actually think that Carroo matters at all .... yes, I get that we used a 3d (and more really) on him ... but at the end of the day - if a 6th RD pick outplays him (Ford), then it 'sorta' evens out.

We need to get over Carroo ... it just doesn't matter, because Ford will make up for him.

Ford had a better chance before the knee issue, Caroo is supposed to be healthy when camp starts

Ford makes the team if healthy, but think he’s going to be parked on the practice squad.

Back
Top Bottom