cap to go up about 5% next season: paging clumpy. your skills are needed. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cap to go up about 5% next season: paging clumpy. your skills are needed.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
That cap number is a little lower than what Len P. of ESPN had a few weeks ago. His number was $79.7 million. But y'all must remember that the cap number released by the NFL is only the "gross" so to speak not the "net" or adjusted. Each team is subject to NLTBE (Not likely to be earned) credit or debit based upon incentives earned in the 2003 season. Miami earned a $85,000 credit and that $85,000 was added to the reported cap number for 2003 of $75.007 million, so Miami's "adjusted" salary cap was $75.092 million. In 2002, Miami had a $2.6 million "debit" which was subtracted from the $71.101 million salary cap reported by the NFL.

Also, the numbers for each team will not be determined until after the Super Bowl because some of those NLTBE incentives include playoffs.

At $79.2 million, Miami will be between $12-15 million over once a likely NLTBE "debit", increase in RW's salary, and filling out the top 51

Where in the world do you get $12-15 million. It is definitely not that far over. We are at 84.5 million with 43 players signed. Cut Griese and we save 6 million alone. Ricky's increase is no more than 1-2 million. We aren't in the best shape next year, but we aren't as bad off as you say.

Originally posted by unclemonty

Where in the world do you get $12-15 million. It is definitely not that far over. We are at 84.5 million with 43 players signed. Cut Griese and we save 6 million alone. Ricky's increase is no more than 1-2 million. We aren't in the best shape next year, but we aren't as bad off as you say.

I think it's all projected and an educated guess at best. We have 10-11 FAs that's not included in this 84 mil. Even if you figure 8 mil to resign these same guys, that puts us at 92 which is around 14 mil over. Originally, the figure was at 17 mil. But we won't resign them all and sign different ones so the number is flexible but probably somewhere in the ballpark. Griese AND Fiedler counts for almost 14 mil alone. needless to say, either or both gets cut. Neither is worth 6.8-6.9 in any role. if either of the 2 takes a huge cut, they'll stick. Otherwise, they'll both be gone.
BTW, Ricky's cap # next yr is only 5K more than this yrs.

unclemonty Simple math :rolleyes:

You have Miami at 84.5 million (my numbers have them higher) and cap is approx. $79 million, that's $5.5 million. RW already has earned (recently reported by your local media) $1.5 million in incentives. The final amt of his incentives are added to each of his future salaries(2004-06). I added $2 million, which is still very possible. That makes $7.5 million. I have 39 players under contract, so 12 x $225,000= $2.7 million, that's now $10.2 million. I also expect Miami to have a NLTBE "debit" ............so, according to unclemonty's numbers, it comes out to $10.2 million plus any "debit". You still need to factor in any tenders given to RFAs & EFAs and that is also part of my estimation of $12-15 million needed JUST TO BECOME CAP COMPLIANT. Then you need to clear more cap space to re-sign your own UFAs and any other FAs.

Hey clumpedplatelet any chance of you doing the Patriot numbers for next year?

Is Fiedler owed a roster bonus on March 1? If he isn't, it looks like it would make much more sense to wait until June 1 to dump him if he refuses a substantial pay cut.

I saw an article at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/don_banks/12/12/future.qbs/index.html

It says Fiedler's option bonus is payable in April.

Now I've seen his cap number reported as $7.577 million by Miami media and ESPN, while Don Banks reports it as $5.2 million. The $5.2 million number is his $3.7 million salary plus $1.5 million in amortized signing bonus. The bonus, from all info I've read, counts fully on the cap until either exercised or not. It's been reported as a $2 million option, thus $5.2 million + $2 million = $7.2 million. That leaves $377,000 for incentives.

Man, the Pats cap situation looks pretty good. Especially since you can expect that they'll restructure Antowain Smith (5M) and extend Ty Law (12.5M). Well, not that'd I know they'll do that, but if I were a Pats fan :hitself: that's what I'd want.

Miami earned a $85,000 credit and that $85,000 was added to the reported cap number for 2003 of $75.007 million, so Miami's "adjusted" salary cap was $75.092 million.

I'm going to have to check my copy of that info. I understood it the other way. Duh!!!
:lol:

unclemonty Simple math :rolleyes:

You have Miami at 84.5 million (my numbers have them higher) and cap is approx. $79 million, that's $5.5 million. RW already has earned (recently reported by your local media) $1.5 million in incentives. The final amt of his incentives are added to each of his future salaries(2004-06). I added $2 million, which is still very possible. That makes $7.5 million. I have 39 players under contract, so 12 x $225,000= $2.7 million, that's now $10.2 million. I also expect Miami to have a NLTBE "debit" ............so, according to unclemonty's numbers, it comes out to $10.2 million plus any "debit". You still need to factor in any tenders given to RFAs & EFAs and that is also part of my estimation of $12-15 million needed JUST TO BECOME CAP COMPLIANT. Then you need to clear more cap space to re-sign your own UFAs and any other FAs.

Local media has reported Ricky's incentives earned so far this year at $575K. Please post the link for $1.5M.

You are adding 12 minimum salaries and the tenders of RFA and ERFA. Some of the miniums have to be subtracted for the number of tenders. Besides all those moves do not have to be done at the same time just the tenders.

As a matter of rule the team can't be over the cap. :) They will make the cuts needed and wanted though some might hurt. Contracts will be restructured to give cap space and the Dolphins will have 53 players next year. They just might not have a big run in free agency. Then again I don't know what they have planned.

Originally posted by DolfanDaveInATX
Is Fiedler owed a roster bonus on March 1? If he isn't, it looks like it would make much more sense to wait until June 1 to dump him if he refuses a substantial pay cut.

Fiedler has a $2 million option due on 4/15/04. The Dolphins have the option to pay him $2M to pick up his 2006 contract year which has a base salary of $6.5M. So if the option is not paid Fiedler is only signed through 2005 not 2006. But since his signing bonus was being prorated through 2006 that year's portion of the signing bonus about $1.137 is accelerated and charged to the current (2004) cap year.

This makes the situation weird.

If the option is paid it will be considered a signing bonus and prorated over the life of the contract. Because of this his cap figure will be approximately $5.5M if the option is paid and about $6M if the option is not paid.

BTW most of the differences you will see between Fiedler's numbers are due to the signing bonus amortization. Some of us have it higher than others.

If Fiedler plays poorly for the remainder of the year he may be ready to restructure in the off-season. If he plays well or doesn't want to restructure then there are hard decisions to be made.

If they want to keep Fiedler they pay the option and pay the piper down the road. Or not and eat $500K more in cap space. If he is to go then they don't pay the option and save $288K if cut before 6/01 or $1.426M after 6/01.

Confusing I know.

Back
Top Bottom