Capers signs 3 year extension - NFL Highest Paid Assistant (Merged) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Capers signs 3 year extension - NFL Highest Paid Assistant (Merged)

I will agree that's the closest thing to making sense we'll get, but I'm still skeptical until we find out for sure it's the case.

Remember, we are talking about Wayne here. His track record is hardly solid.

I will agree that's the closest thing to making sense we'll get, but I'm still skeptical until we find out for sure it's the case.

Remember, we are talking about Wayne here. His track record is hardly solid.

I'm skeptical myself and i'm actually hoping this isn't the case because I was not impressed with Gailey at GT this year at all. Unfortunately to me it sure does seem like Gailey is most likely our new HC.

I'm really happy that we're able to keep Capers and not as HC. He wouldn't have been the best choice, but I was really mindful, as were the Dolphins, of losing him. I actually really like Tomlin the more that I read about him, but I think that he's out of the hunt if we're looking at offensive minded coaches.

Remember, the next time Wayne selects a good coach will be the FIRST time it happens.

I strongly disagree with this.

Jimmy Johnson was a bad decision?

The guy had all the credentials of winning.
Championships in college and the NFL.

How on earth could Wayne H. have known that the passing of his father would leave him rethinking his life and burned out of coaching. VERY GOOD hire, bad luck.

Wanny was bad no doubt.
Wayne can be blamed for trusting Jimmy J. too much for a referral. Wanny was looked well upon in some circles though and was just as hot a coordinator as ANY of the coordinator's being considered for head coaching spots today. Biggest issue was sticking with him probably a year longer than we should have.

Saban was another no brainer hire like Jimmy J. IMO.
The guy had the entire NFL fooled as many teams had tried to snag him especially Earne Accorsi of the G-Men who was convinced Saban was as close to a guarantee for success in the NFL as you can get.

There were no glaring negatives on Saban.
How could Wayne H. have known this guy would be flat out overwhelmed by the NFL when many in the NFL considered him the next great coach?

Again, as with Jimmy J., great hire but bad luck.

He hasn't done a bad job in these hires at all.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the issue:

Wayne is convinced this is a team on the right track and is looking for a way to more or less maintain the status quo. That's why Martz is out (though I'm thankful for that) as is any coach with the audacity to suggest running the cover 2. He's looking for a coach to shoehorn into the job because he thinks it can be done and it won't require any down time.

I am not convinced in the slightest that this can happen. I think Saban was a failure and that the only way to hire a new coach to replace him is to accept that at minimum 2007 is going to suck.

You know what this smacks of to me? It smacks of 2004. It feels like Norv Turner leaving so the team shoehorns in some random OC who can't cut it so they go to another guy shoehorned into the position. It seems like nothing but a recipe for disaster to me.

I suppose it could be the case that Miami actually does have a head coach signed and is holding the announcement, but that just doesn't seem likely. You couldn't break wind in Davie the past couple of weeks without somebody reporting it. I don't see there being a big secret hire out there that nobody knows about.

I strongly disagree with this.

I respectfully disagree right back. What you're chalking up to bad luck is what I will suggest should have been foreseeable. Johnson walked on a Super Bowl winning team and was in retirement. Wayne courted him and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He repeated the mistake with Saban. You don't hire a coach by convincing somebody to come take the position -- you find the best coach who is eager to have the job and hire him. Who was the last coach to win a Super Bowl who had to be convinced to take the job?

I think your looking at it the wrong way man, They apparently already have thier HC and whoever it is said they wanted to keep Capers. Remember Capers was interviewed for the HC job himself so if they hadn't made thier decision yet on who was going to be the next HC then they certainly wouldn't be resigning Capers to be DC because he'd still be in the running for HC.

I honestly think they have hired Chan Gailey and are just not making it public until GT is done with thier recruiting. Either that or they have been talking to Cameron somehow and they are waiting for him to get out of the playoffs to come on board.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Good point.
Could be true.

I shudder at Gailey personally but who knows.
I find Gailey to be out of the old school mold.
One that believes you simply line up and have your guys beat their guys.
I consider his work to be very vanilla, uncreative and lacking in the willingness to make adjustments in strategy when needed. You can win like that, if you have a stacked roster. Today's NFL however, you need the talent on the field and the smarts off the field to put that talent in the best possible position to make plays.

I've read many defend Gailey to the hilt though so maybe I'm wrong.

I do agree with you that they would'nt just have thrust Capers onto the new coach. At the least, they must have approached those they were taking seriously and let them know that they were intent on keeping Capers.

I respectfully disagree right back. What you're chalking up to bad luck is what I will suggest should have been foreseeable. Johnson walked on a Super Bowl winning team and was in retirement. ?

Again, coudn't agree more.
Johnson's retirement or mutual release was clearly a result of the always meddlesome owner in Dallas. Countless reports came out about the rift. Johnson was pushed out and for all intents and purposes was still dedicated to the coaching proffession. He's admitted himself that it was when his father passed the everything changed. That was during his time with Miami not before.

He repeated the mistake with Saban. You don't hire a coach by convincing somebody to come take the position -- you find the best coach who is eager to have the job and hire him. Who was the last coach to win a Super Bowl who had to be convinced to take the job?

Don't agree with Saban either.
Saban has mentioned all along that he was waiting for that right situation to go into the NFL. He turned down many but continually kept the door open and stated his ultimate goal was to coach in the NFL at some point.
He showed all the signs of an "eager" coach along with all his "success book" B.S.

I can't blame Wayne H. one bit for the Saban debacle.

Johnson was pushed out and for all intents and purposes was still dedicated to the coaching proffession.

I can't agree with that conclusion at all. If he were committed to coaching, he'd have been coaching instead of broadcasting.

He's admitted himself that it was when his father passed the everything changed. That was during his time with Miami not before.

I think the death of his father made him realize that his heart wasn't in it and that it was no way to live, but I think his heart was never in the job in Miami and that it always showed. He was in denial, as was Wayne. That's on Wayne.

Saban has mentioned all along that he was waiting for that right situation to go into the NFL.

So? Wayne didn't have to be the sucker to bite on that line. If somebody has to be convinced to be an NFL coach, he's not right for the job.

I can't agree with that conclusion at all. If he were committed to coaching, he'd have been coaching instead of broadcasting.

I think the death of his father made him realize that his heart wasn't in it and that it was no way to live, but I think his heart was never in the job in Miami and that it always showed. He was in denial, as was Wayne. That's on Wayne.

So? Wayne didn't have to be the sucker to bite on that line. If somebody has to be convinced to be an NFL coach, he's not right for the job.

Clearly were on completely different sides of this.
So be it.
Let's just hope the future turns out brighter.

The next coach will know the 3-4

Any potential head coach interviewed by the Dolphins has almost certainly given chapter and verse as to their ideas concerning defensive philosophy. It is impossible to imagine otherwise. The Dolphins' future head coach is almost certainly someone with a comfort zone with the sort of defense Dom Capers runs. It makes no sense to let Capers go elsewhere. Continuity is something that the Dolphins have not had at the coordinator position for many years. It's been a revolving door and that has hurt this team.

It's my firm belief that the next head coach is someone that has experience with the 3-4 defense, and is comfortable with the 3-4. Brian Schottenheimer, Cam Cameron, and Ken Whisenhut are all offensive coaches that have coached almost exclusively for teams that ran the 3-4 defense effectively. For this reason alone Tomlin can be eliminated as a serious candidate.

Awesome, way to go Wayne! I like the direction this is going, especially giving Mueller stronger authority. Just be sure to fire Boolarky and get either an offense-minded HC or a new solid OC.

Tomlin and the 3-4

Why does it have to be an offensive minded guy? Mike Tomlin is a defensive minded coach, but he has proven to be very adaptable to the talent that is on the team. He comes from the Tampa 2 background, but he didn't use the Tampa 2 much in Minnesota. Let's not forget that Mike Tomlin interviewed for the defensive coordinator position here in 2005 and impressed the hierarchy of the Dolphins at that time with his innovative ideas.

The fact is, there are currently only two coaches that reports have confirmed will be coming in for second interviews. Mike Tomlin and Brian Schottenheimer. Just because Dom Capers is being kept on doesn't mean that the head coach has to be offensive minded.

What I hope is that Dom Capers doesn't try to change the defense into the straight up 3-4 formation he has always run.

The Vikings ran a Cover Two defense. The only difference between it and the version Dungy installed with the Bucs, the so-called Tampa Two, was the amount of blitzing. The fact is Tomlin's background as a coach is in the Cover Two scheme. He is not going to change his stripes. How often in the history of the league has a coach effectively did a 180 on the philosophy he was immersed in as an assistant? Adherents of the West Coast Offense have added new wrinkles to that scheme over the years, but their core philosophy remained the same. Mike Martz is basically running Air Coryell with modifications, but again, the guiding principles are the same as the precursor. Martz is never going to become a coach of Bill Walsh's system. But in the case of the Cover Two v. 3-4, there is nothing so much as a thread to bind them. The Vikings defense was nothing more then a variation of the precursor defense from Tampa, which was itself a variation of the Cover Two Dungy learned as a player on the Steel Curtain defenses of the 1970s. It is so fundamentally different from any variant of the 3-4 that it is ridiculous to think that a guy like Tomlin would come in and adopt a defense that is so complicated and different from what he has experience with as to be unworkable.

And what exactly are Tomlin's defensive creds? One year as defensive coordinator of a team that was top ranked against the run, but was awful in every other category? Last in past defense, 26th in sacks, 14th in scoring, 16th in turnovers. His inexperience with the 3-4 might be the least of our worries, considering the offensive ineptitude of every team he's had the privelege of coaching for. Tomlin doesn't address any weakness, and is probably incompatible with our strength. If he doesn't have offensive experience, and he doesn't have defensive experience with the system we are deterimined to run, what possible use would he be?

Great move!!!

Going to have a offensive head coach I bet, Capers running the great D he always does and a GM that will run the personel part. Wayne finally got smart :lol:

Back
Top Bottom