Capers signs 3 year extension - NFL Highest Paid Assistant (Merged) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Capers signs 3 year extension - NFL Highest Paid Assistant (Merged)

Another way to possibly look at this is that they wanted to lock up Capers because they're leaning towards a younger hire, Schottenheimer or Tomlin, and they want to provide the new guy with some head coaching experience on his coaching staff.

Oh, yes, that's just a wonderful idea. Make the new guy go through the challenge of establishing that he and not the authority figure "under" him is really the one to listen to. That's just precisely the situation Payton and Mangini had this year, right?

No sir, I don't like it. If you disagree, I'm happy for you. I'd love to be happy with the direction this was taking. I'm okay with having the unpopular opinion around here.

So you would rather get rid of one of the best defensive coordinators in the league because the new coach my want to bring in one of his own guys who could possibly suck? Why get rid of someone who is already established and led this defense to a top 5 ranking.

If he's such a wonderful coach, why not just promote him?

The problem here is that the team is going about this search in a way that makes no sense. Apparently, Wayne can't even decide whether he wants the CEO model or the HC-GM model. Now he's mandating the assistant coaching staff.

My expectation for this search was that Wayne would find this team the best coach who wanted the job and would sign him. That person would then make the normal football calls like who his assistants would be. If the concern is that a guy like Brian S. can't choose assistant coaches for himself, I don't want him anywhere near this team. If he signed off on this move, I'd at least expect him to be under contract before he got the power to decide who would be the DC. The more I think about the situation, the more it is clear to me that Wayne has failed this team.

At this point, I can only hope that it all works out in spite of the glaring problems with what has been happening.

This is great news, now we can get an offensive guy to fix our crappy Off.

If he's such a wonderful coach, why not just promote him?

The problem here is that the team is going about this search in a way that makes no sense. Apparently, Wayne can't even decide whether he wants the CEO model or the HC-GM model. Now he's mandating the assistant coaching staff.

My expectation for this search was that Wayne would find this team the best coach who wanted the job and would sign him. That person would then make the normal football calls like who his assistants would be. If the concern is that a guy like Brian S. can't choose assistant coaches for himself, I don't want him anywhere near this team. If he signed off on this move, I'd at least expect him to be under contract before he got the power to decide who would be the DC. The more I think about the situation, the more it is clear to me that Wayne has failed this team.

At this point, I can only hope that it all works out in spite of the glaring problems with what has been happening.
He isn't getting promoted because he isn't a good head coach and he has proved that twice already, he is a much better as a coordinator. I don't think many coaches would object to have one of the best coordinators in the league and I believe they will hire an offensive minded guy for the HC job.

JJ, so far the only staff dictation is Mularky, and that's probably only because all the finalists have indicated they're okay with it. And really, who wouldn't be okay with having a DC that coached the #4 defense in the entire league? Notice that Garret hasn't been signed to an extension; the Fins are being ****blocks and that means he might or might not be retained depending on whoever ends up being the HC thinks.

Personally, I don't even think it matters who the OC is, so long as it isn't Mularky. The OC is just going to be a playcaller and somebody to take care of the offense-only things while the HC gets on with the job of being HC.

Just saw on ESPN that Capers has signed a 3 year extension.

Props to Wayne H. again putting his money where his mouth is.

He took a lot of heat from some jumping the gun this week but he again shows what a quality owner he is.

This organization has gotten just bizzare.

What if the new coach does not want him???

It's pretty obvious that the new coach will be stuck with him and will therefore at least say they're okay with it.

The concern I have is that it seems the priority has been maintaining some sort of status quo, not finding the best head coach who wants the job and hiring him. How damned easy is that, and how is it that Wayne ****s it up every time?

If he's such a wonderful coach, why not just promote him?.

Come on now Jimmy.

There are many Coordinators that were fantastic coordinators but didn't cut it as HC's.

Arguably Capers is one of those.
Two different jobs.
I've never seen anything but positive comments on Capers as a D coordinator and the job he did with our D, with all the holes on this roster speaks for itself IMO.

I applaud us tying him up and think it was a no brainer decision.

I don't see any of this as problems.
So Schott. has the opp. to work with one of the best D Coordinators in the game for his first HC job and that's a problem? Please!

In addition, you're making assumptions that he won't be able to bring in any staff of his own. I sincerely doubt that will be the case. Even if it is it would be exactly what some on here have been screaming for which is control taken out of the hands of the HC.

Seems it's the us the fans that don't know what we want.

It's pretty obvious that the new coach will be stuck with him and will therefore at least say they're okay with it.

The concern I have is that it seems the priority has been maintaining some sort of status quo, not finding the best head coach who wants the job and hiring him. How damned easy is that, and how is it that Wayne ****s it up every time?

What does keeping Capers have to do with Wayne "finding the best coach and hiring him?"

That's what they are doing no?
Keeping Capers is seperate issue.

I don't think anyone has been screaming for the coach to lose control over his staff. What we were screaming for was the hiring of a GM who would then select a coach he could work with. That quite obviously is not what happened either.

Remember, the next time Wayne selects a good coach will be the FIRST time it happens.

What does keeping Capers have to do with Wayne "finding the best coach and hiring him?"

That's what they are doing no?
Keeping Capers is seperate issue.

It's not a separate issue at all. Any sane coach is going to demand control of his staff. Look around the board -- a huge number of fans have come to the same conclusion -- they're positive this means the whole class of DCs have been eliminated from the search.

I think the extension of Capers means they know who the new coach is already, it just hasn't came out yet. I think we know by the end of Monday who the new coach is, my reasoning for thinking so is that you don't extend a current DC without knowing whether or not the new coach wants him back. I really like this news because Capers is in my opinion the best DD in the game.

I think the extension of Capers means they know who the new coach is already, it just hasn't came out yet. I think we know by the end of Monday who the new coach is, my reasoning for thinking so is that you don't extend a current DC without knowing whether or not the new coach wants him back. I really like this news because Capers is in my opinion the best DD in the game.

That's the best case scenario, but I really don't see a good reason why the Capers news comes out before everything comes out on Monday if you're right.

It's not a separate issue at all. Any sane coach is going to demand control of his staff. Look around the board -- a huge number of fans have come to the same conclusion -- they're positive this means the whole class of DCs have been eliminated from the search.

I think your looking at it the wrong way man, They apparently already have thier HC and whoever it is said they wanted to keep Capers. Remember Capers was interviewed for the HC job himself so if they hadn't made thier decision yet on who was going to be the next HC then they certainly wouldn't be resigning Capers to be DC because he'd still be in the running for HC.

I honestly think they have hired Chan Gailey and are just not making it public until GT is done with thier recruiting. Either that or they have been talking to Cameron somehow and they are waiting for him to get out of the playoffs to come on board.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom