CFP Semifinals Possible Dolphins Draft Picks | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CFP Semifinals Possible Dolphins Draft Picks

But not long ago that was legal and that was just a big hit. Some guys don’t like all the new rules. But you obviously know that since you’ve obviously played or coached ball.

As far back as I can recall ”spearing” has been an unacceptable tactic and against the rules. At all levels.

In terms of rules changes — you are more referring to “targeting“ in general — which doesn’t always involve leading with the crown of the helmet.

What Skalski did was considered spearing. And that has been a penalty for decades.

Hitting someone with the crown of your helmet is the single most dangerous act in the game of football... and it is dangerous for the man who makes the tackle. Most cases of football related paralysis has happened like this.

Referees are now taught to err on the side of calling this penalty and to quickly eject those who commit this foul. Why? People's lives depend on this. No game is important enough to justify ending up in a wheelchair for life.

When I see people complain that... he just missed him with that helmet and only hit him with his shoulder pad... I say... tough. We are trying to save lives here. Bring your head up... or get tossed.

Back
Top Bottom