Chad O'shea: Miami's Offense Will Have A Patriots Flare | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad O'shea: Miami's Offense Will Have A Patriots Flare

Dolphins new offensive coordinator says you will see a Patriots flare in the Fins next season.

Coach O'Shea " There's a lot of experience on this coaching staff. There's a lot of expertise. We have a veteran coaching staff offensively."

"There's a lot of this we've done in the past that we think can be successful moving forward."

"So what we've done recently is try to merge those idea's and have everybody's philosophies come together. "

"Certainly what we did at New England we were fortunate enough to have good success and have a lot of good players in that scheme."

"There's certainly some things from New England that will show up here as part of our offense. And there some things that will show up from some of our other coaches that have been other places."

"So I think this is a collaborative effort."

"This is an offense that will be multiple and an offense that plays team football."

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article226332130.html

Wonder if they will incorporate a FB?

I took it the complete opposite, they do know what they are doing and only a portion of it will be some style of the Patriots.

Actually I don't want " The Patriots way." I like the "Flare of the Patriots Offense."

I love the addition of other coaches to merge their philosophy.
Completely agree. I'll take a "Patriot Flare"

The "Patriot Way" isn't going to work unless we have a QB with a similar mental game as Brady.

Sure he throws 5 yard passes at an astonishing rate, but his pre-snap checks and reads are outstanding which is why it's so difficult for teams to stop his 5 yard throws. Even though they know it's coming.

I am very interested in Chad O'Shea, and think he will have the greatest direct impact on whether this staff sinks or swims. Personally, while I'm extremely impressed with the Patriot's defensive system, I'm not a huge fan of the Patriots' offensive system. I think they succeed so well because this system is suited to Tom Brady. They built a system around what he does best, which is hyper-accurate passing, phenomenal timing, ability to look off safeties, brilliant pre-snap reads, and audibling into the right play depending upon what he sees. The four reasons this offense has such a good run game are:

1. Tom Brady puts them into a run play when he sees 6 DB's almost guaranteeing over 3 yards.
2. Rob Gronkowski is the best TE in the NFL who is extremely good at both being a receiver and being an inline blocker.
3. They put more blocking prowess in the area of influence to maximize the runner, whether it's a FB, blocking TE, or scheme shifts.
4. The team is extremely prepared and smart enough to learn and implement this complex system that is always able to adapt and take what the defense gives it.

Those first two crucial elements are not present in Miami. For this to work, we need to depend on elements 3 and 4 and hope we can generate above-average production from whomever plays QB and TE. So for us to generate a good offense out of this system will require Chris Grier & Co. to find the QB who can do those things, and the TE coaches to teach Gesicki and Smythe, and Chad O'Shea to organize items 3 and 4. It's definitely not going to come overnight. Even if we weren't tanking, this overhaul requires so much mental decision making expertise that the first year was not going to be a success anyway. The only real difference tanking does is turns a mediocre to poor first year into a top QB prospect for year two.

The reason their mantra is "Do Your Job" is that if the players do their jobs the scheme takes care of the rest. But, the job requires mastering a lot of mental work and homework, so it is more grind-intensive and slightly less talent-intensive, which is why the Patriots tend to succeed with some players that other teams do not value as highly.

I am very interested in Chad O'Shea, and think he will have the greatest direct impact on whether this staff sinks or swims. Personally, while I'm extremely impressed with the Patriot's defensive system, I'm not a huge fan of the Patriots' offensive system. I think they succeed so well because this system is suited to Tom Brady. They built a system around what he does best, which is hyper-accurate passing, phenomenal timing, ability to look off safeties, brilliant pre-snap reads, and audibling into the right play depending upon what he sees. The four reasons this offense has such a good run game are:

1. Tom Brady puts them into a run play when he sees 6 DB's almost guaranteeing over 3 yards.
2. Rob Gronkowski is the best TE in the NFL who is extremely good at both being a receiver and being an inline blocker.
3. They put more blocking prowess in the area of influence to maximize the runner, whether it's a FB, blocking TE, or scheme shifts.
4. The team is extremely prepared and smart enough to learn and implement this complex system that is always able to adapt and take what the defense gives it.

Those first two crucial elements are not present in Miami. For this to work, we need to depend on elements 3 and 4 and hope we can generate above-average production from whomever plays QB and TE. So for us to generate a good offense out of this system will require Chris Grier & Co. to find the QB who can do those things, and the TE coaches to teach Gesicki and Smythe, and Chad O'Shea to organize items 3 and 4. It's definitely not going to come overnight. Even if we weren't tanking, this overhaul requires so much mental decision making expertise that the first year was not going to be a success anyway. The only real difference tanking does is turns a mediocre to poor first year into a top QB prospect for year two.

The reason their mantra is "Do Your Job" is that if the players do their jobs the scheme takes care of the rest. But, the job requires mastering a lot of mental work and homework, so it is more grind-intensive and slightly less talent-intensive, which is why the Patriots tend to succeed with some players that other teams do not value as highly.

#1 is very concerning to me @ckparrot and @Aqua4Ever04 keep on emphasizing how we're going with more 5 ,6, 7 DBs on the field. So what's to stop teams from running the ball down our throats? IIrc there were a few games were some teams found success running on the Patriots. Of Course that efficient offense of theirs bailed them out and put those teams in pass-happy catchup mode playing into that defensive scheme and subsequently nullifying the running game.

We don't have Brady and that offense so I'm curious......

#1 is very concerning to me @ckparrot and @Aqua4Ever04 keep on emphasizing how we're going with more 5 ,6, 7 DBs on the field. So what's to stop teams from running the ball down our throats? IIrc there were a few games were some teams found success running on the Patriots. Of Course that efficient offense of theirs bailed them out and put those teams in pass-happy catchup mode playing into that defensive scheme and subsequently nullifying the running game.

We don't have Brady and that offense so I'm curious......
I get that, but it may help to think of the roles we're already using for our front 7.

Remember that Baltimore game when Flacco laughingly just kept targeting whomever our LB's were covering and just embarrassed us? This new defensive scheme would have a DB covering those guys so they don't spend the entire game wide open. Looking at the run defense, our LB's get zero protection from the DL, it's not like the days when Zach Thomas was free to roam around and make plays because of Tim Bowens and Daryl Gardener occupying blockers.

Today's LB's are too light to properly stack-and-shed any more so they use speed to avoid blocks and get to the intersection point ASAP. DB's do that even better than LB's. Neither is beating even the most finesse of guards physically. So the DL is guessing and penetrating, and if they guess right they blow up the run play, if not, it's up to the speed/quickness of the LB to fill the run lane. This defense has less in the box, yes, but it has better coverage people and we're not losing much in the run defense. Also, this defense tends to funnel everything inside, so the tacklers have a better chance to gain superior numbers and prevent explosive running TD's. It bends, no doubt about it, but it doesn't break all that much.

You can't stop everything, but this defense is as good as any out there at adapting to whatever the offense is trying to exploit. If a defense is only as good as it's weakest link, think of this defense as a chain made up of all pretty good but not great links … so even the weakest link is relatively strong. It's may not feel as dominant as the Baltimore defense when they're hitting on all cylinders, but it is designed to adapt so you stay in every ball game. When facing great offenses, they will find your weakness. Think of this defense as the one with the least-weak weakness. But yes, all defenses have weaknesses … just how it is.

If Rob Konrad can swim 20 miles I would bet he his still in football shape.
Ahh Rob Konrad, there's a blast from the past. I'm guessing that someone like Marqueis Gray will be the type of combo FB/TE that they'll target for utility work. While I definitely think our main TE's will be Gesicki as primary Move TE and Smythe as primary Inline TE, we'll likely also have a combo FB who either doubles as a RB or TE schematically. Someone like Nick O'Leary will likely be in direct competition with whomever fills this role, which reduces O'Leary's odds of making the team. I don't see a dedicated FB as likely as a hybrid FB/TE or FB/RB type. Or, if you want to get technical, the RB is what used to be called a tailback or halfback.

Very true. Last year only 159 yards on 39 attempts, with 35 completions. That's more like a classic ground attack at only 4.1 yards per attempt.

Jarvis Landry was a big source of inefficiency there but believe it or not so was Kenyan Drake, who hasn't done well on those perimeter behind LOS pass plays in either year. Every single one of our other RBs has averaged higher than him that way, which is interesting as we think of him as a big time pass catcher. Think he does better beyond the LOS.

Noticed that as well. The quick shifty players seem to do better in that role whereas Kenyan is more of a one cut and straightline speed type. Also could possibly be that teams keyed on him coming out of the backfield more

We already tried having a Patriots flare under Gase.

- Here's a big difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: THe Patriots have Tom Brady.
- Here's another difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: the Patriots have Rob Gronkowski.
- Here's a third difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: the Patriots have competent OL play.
- Here's a fourth and still important difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: the Dolphins get called for illegal pick plays.

Steve Ross wears blue and white pajamas with long red shoes to the office in the morning.

We already tried having a Patriots flare under Gase.

- Here's a big difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: THe Patriots have Tom Brady.
- Here's another difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: the Patriots have Rob Gronkowski.

- Here's a third difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: the Patriots have competent OL play.
- Here's a fourth and still important difference between the Dolphins and the Patriots: the Dolphins get called for illegal pick plays.

Steve Ross wears blue and white pajamas with long red shoes to the office in the morning.

Here's the bright side.

- Brady is one year/ two or a major injury from retirement.
- Gronk same if he even comes back.
- Dolphins started to fix this problem.
- when 1 and 2 happen this will be gone

-Robert Craft is wearing Hugh Hefner robe and slippers :lol:

The Patriots have had good success when Brady was out dating back to the Matt Cassel year and here more recently with the 4 game suspension. While Brady is an all time great, the scheme itself has been successful without him.

Back
Top Bottom