Chan Gailey New OC? | Page 42 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey New OC?

Wow. Just wow.

I guess I should resign from my job immediately as I’m old in specific, and approximately 15 years older on average than my team, and I’ll never change and have lost my will to learn (and live).
what ageists bull ****

do you actually believe that Flores didn’t spend lots of time talking with various informal advisors on what’s going on with his team, ways to improve, trends, analysis of the skills of the kids coming out of college, etc and then decide who made the most sense to him? do you think before offering Chan the job, he didn’t reference check?
Flo probably never even met, or spoke to Chan.

He, and the guy that fills the soda machine were bullsh**ing one day, got bored, put a list of names on the wall, and he let soda guy throw a dart.

Wow. Just wow.

I guess I should resign from my job immediately as I’m old in specific, and approximately 15 years older on average than my team, and I’ll never change and have lost my will to learn (and live).
what ageists bull ****

do you actually believe that Flores didn’t spend lots of time talking with various informal advisors on what’s going on with his team, ways to improve, trends, analysis of the skills of the kids coming out of college, etc and then decide who made the most sense to him? do you think before offering Chan the job, he didn’t reference check?

Wow, someone is OVERLY sensitive. Damn man, get a grip. Way to take something to the extreme and sensationalize it for effect.

You haven't retired. You aren't coming back for what looks like a 1-2 year bridge. People who do that usually aren't looking to re-invent themselves.....there's usually not enough time to see it through. He left the game. You think he was at home creating a new playbook in the 3 years since he retired? He's not 55 and coming back. He's 68. He's coming back to work another 5-10 years. I've been in my field 19 years. I've learned a lot and had many successes.....and some failures. I'm always open to learning new things and adapting. That said, if i left my company and had to start fresh at another company, i 100% will do what i know and am comfortable with. It's human nature. I'm not going to try re-inventing the wheel and potentially fail.....not until i see if what i do best works. THAT'S what i'm saying with Gailey. People do not change overnight and coaches who run certain systems tend to run them in very similar ways throughout their careers with only minor tweaks. Mike Leach isn't about to start running a wishbone.

I don't know what Flores does or did. He's not without flaws or poor decisions. If he was perfect and had the best information from advisors he wouldn't have needed to fire so many coaches after year 1. He's learning and adapting. I'm impressed with what i've seen thus far with how the team improved and played down the stretch but my opinion on Gailey stands. It's a very very odd move imo.....yes, opinion.

Wow, someone is OVERLY sensitive. Damn man, get a grip. Way to take something to the extreme and sensationalize it for effect.

You haven't retired. You aren't coming back for what looks like a 1-2 year bridge. People who do that usually aren't looking to re-invent themselves.....there's usually not enough time to see it through. He left the game. You think he was at home creating a new playbook in the 3 years since he retired? He's not 55 and coming back. He's 68. He's coming back to work another 5-10 years. I've been in my field 19 years. I've learned a lot and had many successes.....and some failures. I'm always open to learning new things and adapting. That said, if i left my company and had to start fresh at another company, i 100% will do what i know and am comfortable with. It's human nature. I'm not going to try re-inventing the wheel and potentially fail.....not until i see if what i do best works. THAT'S what i'm saying with Gailey. People do not change overnight and coaches who run certain systems tend to run them in very similar ways throughout their careers with only minor tweaks. Mike Leach isn't about to start running a wishbone.

I don't know what Flores does or did. He's not without flaws or poor decisions. If he was perfect and had the best information from advisors he wouldn't have needed to fire so many coaches after year 1. He's learning and adapting. I'm impressed with what i've seen thus far with how the team improved and played down the stretch but my opinion on Gailey stands. It's a very very odd move imo.....yes, opinion.

Why don’t you stick to talking for yourself instead of projecting your failings onto everyone else.

In my line of work, if you’re not staying up with everything that’s changing almost daily, you’re unemployed. So, despite the fact that I have been fortunate enough to take long breaks from working, I still keep up with my field. Guess human nature has a little variation and some people never stop learning.

Sure looks like football works that way too.

Why don’t you stick to talking for yourself instead of projecting your failings onto everyone else.

In my line of work, if you’re not staying up with everything that’s changing almost daily, you’re unemployed. So, despite the fact that I have been fortunate enough to take long breaks from working, I still keep up with my field. Guess human nature has a little variation and some people never stop learning.

Sure looks like football works that way too.

Whatever man - preach all you want. It's a damn opinion-based message board about football. I gave my opinion. I've watched football for a LONG time and have seen coaching retreads a lot......RARELY do they change their stripes. They may tweak a thing or two. They may be more successful for a variety of reasons but at their core they tend to run with the same fundamentals. You don't have to agree with it. You are the one turning it into a personal thing about yourself, your field and your age....not me. Happy to hear you are successful in it.

When Paul Johnson decides to run an air raid offense let me know. That would be a surprise and completely change my opinion on long-tenured coaching styles.

While I don't think age is irrelevant in physical terms, individuals differ in their mindsets. I've seen ppl that were focused, and energetic at 70, as well as those that were spent in their early fifties, whether it be health related, or simply no capacity to evolve or adjust to a changing world.

You are also wrong about him never being innovative. He is well know for his contribution to the implementation of spread type offenses, as well as his ability to adapt to different schemes under different HCs

IDK what Flo is thinking here. It doesn't seem like an obvious fit on the surface, but your argument doesn't have any real basis, beyond your belief that age is a limiting factor.

He implemented spread offenses in the NFL when a lot of other coaches weren't embracing it and used some spread concepts in pro-style sets. That part i agree. But when i think innovator, i think guys who created something new and were successful with it......guys with coaching trees still preaching those concepts, guys who changed the league by being the first to do something and winning with it. No huddle, air raid, etc. Maybe it's just the picture/definition of innovator in my head.....and maybe it's wrong. I just never looked at him in that light.

He implemented spread offenses in the NFL when a lot of other coaches weren't embracing it and used some spread concepts in pro-style sets. That part i agree. But when i think innovator, i think guys who created something new and were successful with it......guys with coaching trees still preaching those concepts, guys who changed the league by being the first to do something and winning with it. No huddle, air raid, etc. Maybe it's just the picture/definition of innovator in my head.....and maybe it's wrong. I just never looked at him in that light.
Well, by that definition, there have been only a handfull in the modern era, and those names are almost always HCs, not OCs.

You basically want a Bill Walsh to come in here and be our OC.

Not a realistic standard, IMO.

Flo probably never even met, or spoke to Chan.

He, and the guy that fills the soda machine were bullsh**ing one day, got bored, put a list of names on the wall, and he let soda guy throw a dart.
Makes the most sense I've heard other than having his name on the wall at all before throwing the dart.

I'd literally rather have the OC from North Dakota State or James Madison University... whoever they are.

What do you mean? I doubt Gailey would be coming here if Caldwell was still in the plans.
I meant, how do you know that Caldwell didn't want to go to another organization?

Ppl are assuming Flores made the decision, when it could just as well be that Caldwell made the call.

Back
Top Bottom