Chan Gailey New OC? | Page 40 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey New OC?

Whats funny is they will bash him due to his age, what is he 68? But I bet most would love to have NE Oline coach.. who is 70 + lol
Yes and wasn’t Tom Moore the OC in Indy when they went to SBs and also w the Cards when they got to the NFC title game? I believe he was over 70.

Whats funny is they will bash him due to his age, what is he 68? But I bet most would love to have NE Oline coach.. who is 70 + lol
PS - don’t get me wrong. I’m not taking offense even though I’m an older fan on this board. Just confused as to why people seem to think younger (less experience) = better. Especially since Sparano (RIP coach), Philbin and Gase were all young and relatively unsuccessful. Do we want to load up w more unproven guys? Our HC is still unproven but he did impress. Smart of him to get some experience on the staff in Caldwell and Gailey. Even Gase has Williams (which he should have done something like that here) who I’m sure helped them be better than they would have been had he hired another DB or LB coach in his 30’s to be the DC. Age and wisdom > youth w no proven experience.

Maybe Gailey will be just a figurehead. Just because he's got the title doesn't necessarily mean he'll have any real duties.
But he was never mediocre. As a HC yes. As an OC, no. He was good. That’s how he got to be a HC. What’s w all the “old people” bashing (not you but in general)? The boy wonders have pretty much all sucked - see, Gase, Adam and the dozens of “next Don Shula” types hired all over the league each year. Meanwhile the old guys like Palpatine and Pete Carroll keep winning.
Palpatine LOL. never thought of that but now I'll never think of him as anyone else!

Maybe Gailey will be just a figurehead. Just because he's got the title doesn't necessarily mean he'll have any real duties.

Palpatine LOL. never thought of that but now I'll never think of him as anyone else!
See my terribly photoshopped Sig. they are one and the same person. Right down to the hoodie.

PS - don’t get me wrong. I’m not taking offense even though I’m an older fan on this board. Just confused as to why people seem to think younger (less experience) = better. Especially since Sparano (RIP coach), Philbin and Gase were all young and relatively unsuccessful. Do we want to load up w more unproven guys? Our HC is still unproven but he did impress. Smart of him to get some experience on the staff in Caldwell and Gailey. Even Gase has Williams (which he should have done something like that here) who I’m sure helped them be better than they would have been had he hired another DB or LB coach in his 30’s to be the DC. Age and wisdom > youth w no proven experience.
Im not taking any offense either. I just think his age is irrelevant. Im not super excited about the hire, have my concerns as well, I did like Oshea. Theres more to this than we know, you dont fire someone and hire a retired guy less than 24 hours later without some kind of plan.

Im not taking any offense either. I just think his age is irrelevant. Im not super excited about the hire, have my concerns as well, I did like Oshea. Theres more to this than we know, you dont fire someone and hire a retired guy less than 24 hours later without some kind of plan.
I agree. I’ve been vocal about not being super excited- which is more about liking what O’Shea did than not liking Gailey. But Chan knows a lot about football and I think he’ll do well in the role.

I'm apparently a minority here. O'shea wasn't bad, but 'good" is being generous.
Play-calling, at times, was predictable.

I'm apparently a minority here. O'shea wasn't bad, but 'good" is being generous.
Play-calling, at times, was predictable.
I think ppl are making a lot of assumptions.

O'Shea wasn't let go because he did a good job.

It may have something to do with gameplanning, or identifying the opponents weaknesses, the foundation of Flo's philosophy. I doubt it was about game day play calling.

O'Shea may have not been up to that jump in responsibility.

I wouldn't assume Gailey, necessarily, comes in and installs a new system. Maybe he does, but, I really do not expect it.

I think ppl are making a lot of assumptions.

O'Shea wasn't let go because he did a good job.

It may have something to do with gameplanning, or identifying the opponents weaknesses, the foundation of Flo's philosophy. I doubt it was about game day play calling.

O'Shea may have not been up to that jump in responsibility.

I wouldn't assume Gailey, necessarily, comes in and installs a new system. Maybe he does, but, I really do not expect it.
You thinking they stick to what they’re doing on offense, just evolves it some / refines?

You thinking they stick to what they’re doing on offense, just evolves it some / refines?
I certainly think it is a possibility.

While Gailey has been known to run a "spread" offense as a HC, as a coordinator he has really been pretty flexible, depending on who he was working for. He has been with teams that employed a man blocking power scheme, as well as those that run more zone blocking.

I don't know if this is going to work out or not, and my first reaction was WTF, I have since looked more closely at his history, and came away with the impression that he has coached a few different styles of offense.

I certainly think it is a possibility.

While Gailey has been known to run a "spread" offense as a HC, as a coordinator he has really been pretty flexible, depending on who he was working for. He has been with teams that employed a man blocking power scheme, as well as those that run more zone blocking.

I don't know if this is going to work out or not, and my first reaction was WTF, I have since looked more closely at his history, and came away with the impression that he has coached a few different styles of offense.
This is what I’m hoping in the sense that he’s a knowledgeable guy and if he can adapt to run an offense best suited for our personnel I think it will be a good hire.

sorry i didn't read 40 pages of text before writing this so if i repeat anything, know it is not on purpose. i'm a little concerned with all the firings. i thought with the talent we had we pulled off something of a miracle to get 5 wins. no o line to speak of. 3 guys fired? i hope flores knows what he is doing and doesn't have a problem getting along with people. didn't flores know what he was getting with oshea, working with him in new england. our secondary which seemed abysimal to start season found gems so i don't get that firing. i was hyped the way the season ended, now not as much. kind of a mixed message after a nice victory.

Possibly to work with Rosen in a new system that's more receiver friendly, gailey is good with the spread offense.

Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best to do it when it comes to coaching. Gailey was largely just a guy. And Gailey once pegged Drew Bress as too short to play quarterback in the NFL. He's a dinosaur with prehistoric thinking. Not a good hire.

Back
Top Bottom