Chan Gailey New OC? | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey New OC?

Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best to do it when it comes to coaching. Gailey was largely just a guy. And Gailey once pegged Drew Bress as too short to play quarterback in the NFL. He's a dinosaur with prehistoric thinking. Not a good hire.
A lot of teams did, or he wouldn't of made it to the second round. Age is still irrelevent. His scheme and play calls are a different story.

What many people are missing here is that Chan had 3 years with Fitz in Buffalo as his QB and then another 2 years with him at the Jets. My read is that we are rolling with Fitz as our QB in 2020 and if we are lucky enough to draft Tua Tagovailoa, we can give him the luxury of time to fully rehab the injury. Meanwhile, he can learn the system and learn from Fitz how to read Defenses, etc. And we also get to beef up the O-line, draft a good RB, etc. If we don't get Tua, then we fill other needs or maybe draft another QB to develop as competition to Rosen.
I think someone is listening to Fitz re acquiring an experienced OC who knows his strengths and weaknesses.

A lot of teams did, or he wouldn't of made it to the second round. Age is still irrelevent. His scheme and play calls are a different story.

I don’t think age is irrelevant. Usually once you hit a certain age and retire or know you don’t have much time left, you know what you know. I doubt a guy like Gailey is going to spend the time and energy to go learn some of the newer concepts being used by college or nfl OCs. He’s going to do what he knows and has done for the last 30 years, which is not innovative and never has been. If it was he would have been more successful and others would have copied him.

My take on this hire is O’Shea failed as a manager. Everyone focuses on how brilliant the coordinator attacks the defense, but getting maximum leverage from your position coaches is more important. Clearly, communicating to the players how to run the offense is more important for “laying a foundation“. Developing a balanced offense is very important. I do not expect Gailey to have a top 5 offense. I expect him to help develop the OL to work within the offensive scheme. I expect him to help develop the staff. I expect him to determine if our running back position coach needs to go. Basically, he needs to right the ship before sailing off into the sunset.

I don’t think age is irrelevant. Usually once you hit a certain age and retire or know you don’t have much time left, you know what you know. I doubt a guy like Gailey is going to spend the time and energy to go learn some of the newer concepts being used by college or nfl OCs. He’s going to do what he knows and has done for the last 30 years, which is not innovative and never has been. If it was he would have been more successful and others would have copied him.
While I don't think age is irrelevant in physical terms, individuals differ in their mindsets. I've seen ppl that were focused, and energetic at 70, as well as those that were spent in their early fifties, whether it be health related, or simply no capacity to evolve or adjust to a changing world.

You are also wrong about him never being innovative. He is well know for his contribution to the implementation of spread type offenses, as well as his ability to adapt to different schemes under different HCs

IDK what Flo is thinking here. It doesn't seem like an obvious fit on the surface, but your argument doesn't have any real basis, beyond your belief that age is a limiting factor.

Last edited:
Perhaps just me but I would reckon Mister Flores and Mister Gailey had

a few conversations relative to expectations goals roles and who knows

the actual dynamic they agreed on but I think it's safe to say Flores is

100% in charge and he's plenty young enough to handle a senior

NFL dude like Chan and that's the plan!

Flores had an opportunity to upgrade the knowledge base on the O

and there's ZERO wrong with cherry picking the best of what Gailey

brings to the table while also implementing the most "modern

concepts" into the O via multiple channels of collaboration!

My read on this situation is as follows. Gailey takes the reins until SCHUPLINSKI takes over as OC. Caldwell factors into this decision too I'd assume.

Assuming everyone isn't ****-canned by then.

Nice!

:lol:

My read on this situation is as follows. Gailey takes the reins until SCHUPLINSKI takes over as OC. Caldwell factors into this decision too I'd assume.

Assuming everyone isn't ****-canned by then.
Possible.

As I've said before, the thing that makes the most sense is that O'Shea wasn't up to assessing the opponents weaknesses, and gameplanning for them on his own, something Gailey would have vast experience in doing.

It doesn't mean Chan is coming in, and installing a new offense, as I assume Schuplinski is quite versed in the Xs and Os of the current system, even if Gailey isn't up to speed with the overarching philosophy.

Is it possible that Flo is a genius, and that it makes a very effective combination?

Possible.

As I've said before, the thing that makes the most sense is that O'Shea wasn't up to assessing the opponents weaknesses, and gameplanning for them on his own, something Gailey would have vast experience in doing.

It doesn't mean Chan is coming in, and installing a new offense, as I assume Schuplinski is quite versed in the Xs and Os of the current system, even if Gailey isn't up to speed with the overarching philosophy.

Is it possible that Flo is a genius, and that it makes a very effective combination?

If Caldwell returns as well-at least you can say the staff has some experience for Flo to lean on..

Perhaps just me but I would reckon Mister Flores and Mister Gailey had

a few conversations relative to expectations goals roles and who knows

the actual dynamic they agreed on but I think it's safe to say Flores is

100% in charge and he's plenty young enough to handle a senior

NFL dude like Chan and that's the plan!

Flores had an opportunity to upgrade the knowledge base on the O

and there's ZERO wrong with cherry picking the best of what Gailey

brings to the table while also implementing the most "modern

concepts" into the O via multiple channels of collaboration!
sometimes

I read your

posts like

this guy

stevie-facebook.jpg

If Caldwell returns as well-at least you can say the staff has some experience for Flo to lean on..
I haven't heard anything that would indicate his return, not that I really consider it a return anyway, as his impact last year was negligible, at best.

I get he's a good guy, and coach, but Gailey kind negates his importance as far as someone for Flo to lean on.

Hard for me not to agree with this. Away from the game and older means usually very set in their ways and rigid.

Wow. Just wow.

I guess I should resign from my job immediately as I’m old in specific, and approximately 15 years older on average than my team, and I’ll never change and have lost my will to learn (and live).
what ageists bull ****

do you actually believe that Flores didn’t spend lots of time talking with various informal advisors on what’s going on with his team, ways to improve, trends, analysis of the skills of the kids coming out of college, etc and then decide who made the most sense to him? do you think before offering Chan the job, he didn’t reference check?

Back
Top Bottom