Chance of a lifetime | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chance of a lifetime

JPhinfan86

Chief of the Finheaven Iowa Chapter.
Reaction score
My sophomore year of H.S. I was running track and I suffered what the trainer called tendonitious. After about 3 weeks of not getting better I went to see a professional orthopedic doctor who diagnosed me with having OsteoSarcoma (bone cancer) in my right knee. I had surgery that summer, 5 inches of bone was removed from my knee. This of course ended any hope that I would ever be able to play football again. I underwent chemotherapy that same summer and it extended all the way through my Junior year (I was homeschooled for that period).

I was able to go back to school my Senior year, wearing a long leg brace that covered my leg from my thigh to the bottom of my foot. I finished my Senior year no problem, everything was a go. However, now in my Freshman year in college I was re-diagnosed with OsteoSarcoma in the same leg. That same cancer has spread to both of my lungs. As a result my right leg was amputated from above the knee down. I am scheduled to undergo even worse chemotherapy then last year, which I can barely imagine could be worse. I met with my doctor today, he told me that I am at great risk of dying from so many factors. He also told me that last years chemo has left me sterile and that I will never have the Finfan son i've always wanted.

When I came home today my mom was on the phone. I had no idea who she was talking to, I really didn't much care being that I just got some pretty crappy news. Turns out she was on the phone with my Bio professor. Apparently his wife got ahold of someone within the Dolphins organization. Now I will be flying to Miami this Saturday to watch our Fins take on the Jets. I honestly expected to be missing the game because of the fact that I would have been in the hospital over Christmas and through the weekend. Not only will I be there, but after the game I will be meeting the Fins for pics and autographs. I cannot express how much this has turned my day around.

I am not suggesting that anyone should care about this, but I just want you guys to know that the Fins organization is obviously full of caring people. I don't know that there were any doubts, but I just wanted them to have this credit. :) :cool2:

JPhin, no young man should have to go through a fraction of what you have had to go through... I don't know what else to say, just thought I'd let you know that I care...
Have a great time in Miami man and keep us posted!

We all wish you the best of everything.. May God be with you and your family this holiday season, and forever..
Our little disputes seem petty when compared to the real problems that happen in the world. I guess , in a way, we live through the players we watch every week, knowing that we will never get the chance to do what they do.. and when they win we feel it.. and the same goes when they lose..
We all know that the Dolphins organization is great. I am sure that you will enjoy your trip down to see the Dolphins, as we also enjoy seeing them. Remember to yell for the Fins!!
God Bless

Wow that is.:eek:

Enjoy yourself Sunday bud.

Dude, a terrible way to meet the Fins, but soak it up cause that is very awesome! Best of luck to you and Happy Holidays. :)

Wow, what a messed up story, my heart and prayers go out to you.. May God be with you during your surgery and we all want an update when you recover..

Have fun at Pro-player.. its an awesome experience..

Get well soon

I'll look for you on TV, man. Have a great time.

The fins organization is full of caring people... and so is this one. You're one of our bro's here, Joel. Sorry to hear what you're going thru. Let us know how you're doing and whether there's anything any of us can do to keep you smiling while you're dealing with the hard stuff. You ARE gonna pull thru this, dude. I can feel it. Best of luck to you.

O man, that really sucks. :( Not the best way to meet the Fins, but regardless you still get to meet them. I wish you the best of luck and our prayers are with you here at FinHeaven. Please update us. Have a great time with the Fins!

P.S. Love your sig dude!

Damn dude. That is a very sobering story. You are the same age as my brother. Just puts things in the proper perspective. Especially at this time of year.

Just hang tough bud. God will be with you.

If you feel up to it, snap some pics Sunday. We'd be more than glad to host them here if you like. Oh, and I'm officially giving you permission to make fun of Bobby Humphrey anytime you like. ;)

Keep your chin up, man. Stay strong and keep on believeing. Our thougths and prayers are with you.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I wish there was something I could say, some great pearl of wisdom, but I can only wish you well, and let you know that I will be praying for you.

Enjoy your time with the Dolphins, and I hope they give you a win on your "field day" ;)

God Bless

Gram

man, I don't know what to say apart from we will add you to our prayer list, enjoy your day, and remember that your extended family at Finheaven is praying for your recovery and wishing you all the best this Holiday Season and for the upcoming year.

Cheers and go Fins!

Paul

Wow...its kind of weird to say this but I'm sad and happy for you at the same time!!! I wish you the best of luck and will be praying for your quick recovery!!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. I'm hoping that you will be strong during your treatments and will become healthy again!!!

Enjoy the game and the person you really need to meet is Father Leo...he's the man and I'm sure he'll give you a blessing!!! Father Leo is the team priest...he goes to almost every home game...I suggest you meet the guy!!!

Please yell a little louder for me and give a couple of shout outs on my behalf...and of course a nice...J-E-T-S suck suck suck chant!!! Enjoy the game and god bless you!!!

Go Fins!!!

Back
Top Bottom