Chargers say they will not be drafting Eli with the #1 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chargers say they will not be drafting Eli with the #1

Originally posted by xiidaen
What about this statement means they are not taking a QB with the first pick?

Indeed. They were dumb enough to take Ryan Leaf; they're dumb enough to pass on Eli Manning for Ben Roethlisberger.

In any event, there's no way that either Eli or Ben slips out of the top 5, unless they have a disastrous workout or get caught with drugs.

Don't be surprised if the Chargers trade down.

There is a team out there with two draft picks in the first. It wouldn't surprise me to see New England give up their two number ones for that pick. :eek:

The Chargers will then have three of the first 35 picks.

The Chargers are a really young team especially on defense.

Trading down they could get a quality receiver or another piece for the o-line or they could add even more to that defense.

Another linebacker (Vilma or Dansby) and a defensive end opposite Wiley wouldn't surprise me neither.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it be logical to think that O-Gun and some combo would be a possibility to San Diego, or would the phins need to give up the whole farm (including O-Gun) to even start discussions?

Originally posted by ZOD
Don't be surprised if the Chargers trade down.

There is a team out there with two draft picks in the first. It wouldn't surprise me to see New England give up their two number ones for that pick. :eek:

The Chargers will then have three of the first 35 picks.

The Chargers are a really young team especially on defense.

Trading down they could get a quality receiver or another piece for the o-line or they could add even more to that defense.

Another linebacker (Vilma or Dansby) and a defensive end opposite Wiley wouldn't surprise me neither.

I think if New England moved up to they would take Larry F. in a heartbeat.

And that's the name I was thinking. :D

Obviously they don't have the needs that other teams do (Superbowl). If you ask me New England is sitting on the perch just looking at prey in this draft.

They are going to score big and it hurts just thinking about it. :cry:

Originally posted by Dbergan
Wouldn't it be logical to think that O-Gun and some combo would be a possibility to San Diego, or would the phins need to give up the whole farm (including O-Gun) to even start discussions?

The price to move up to #1 overall is always dramatically inflated. Remember when San Diego traded a boatload to move up from #3 to #2 (to pick Leaf)? Atlanta surrendered a #2 and a future #1 (as well as WR Tim Dwight) to move up from #5 to #1.

So I don't know for sure what it would cost, but I'm guessing that the Phins would have to give up the #20, Ogunleye and their 2005 #1 to even get the Chargers' attention. That's not a great proposition when they have multiple needs to address.

I agree that if New England was to move up, they'd take Fitzgerald.

I'm not sure they will move up, though. They need a running back, and they're in a good spot to take Kevin Jones or Stephen Jackson. They also could use more talent at WR, and they'll probably want to draft a corner and a DT, as well, to potentially replace Ty Law (possible cap casualty, and once Asante Samuel steps into the lineup, that leaves a hole at nickel corner) and Ted Washington (getting up there in years and pounds).

But yes, the Pats played last year's draft beautifully. Stockpiling picks for this year puts them in great position.

First, SD would have to offer more then our tender to Ogun.....secondly Ogun would have to WANT to go to SD before we could even begin to get involved in any form or variation of a 'trade' with him, which would more then likely deal with us 'trading' portions of our tender (an additional 1st and 3rd) for any spot that SD may hold (this case , #1). We DON'T JUST TRADE HIM FOR A DEAL TO ANYONE. HE HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE.

for new england to move up it would take both first round picks and more according to the draft value chart. I doubt theyd give up 3 first day picks but we'll see.

Originally posted by jbond
First, SD would have to offer more then our tender to Ogun.....secondly Ogun would have to WANT to go to SD before we could even begin to get involved in any form or variation of a 'trade' with him, which would more then likely deal with us 'trading' portions of our tender (an additional 1st and 3rd) for any spot that SD may hold (this case , #1). We DON'T JUST TRADE HIM FOR A DEAL TO ANYONE. HE HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE.

Noted. I knew that, but probably should have made it clear. Getting Ogunleye's permission to work out a sign and trade would be necessary. But if the Chargers had interest, and if they were willing to spend the money (neither of which is a tremendous stretch), THEN we could actively begin trade talks for that #1 spot.

In truth, it's one more obstacle to a deal that's not happening anyway.

Wasn't trying to be a pain about it, but I just constantly see threads where people are talking about trading Ogun to such and such team to move up in the draft or to get a QB or to make the weekend 3 days instead of 2...... :) (now THAT would be nice)....

Back
Top Bottom