Charle Clay #89 in top 100 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charle Clay #89 in top 100

Can't believe people are saying that he didn't deserve it.....he played well consistently and made some huge plays for us. 69 catches and 39 of them were first downs. Glad he's getting some recognition. Wouldn't mind him dialing up 6 tds a year next year too.....

He's a bad ass, i think him and landry are going to be the heart of power and soul on offense. Hartline the finesse clutch catch guy and wallace the freak big play guy. Big Play Clay is a bad ass though i can't wait for him this season.

That was just my opinion. Ertz had 56 targets, Celek had 50 targets, and James Casey who had a similar role as Clay in Houston only had 6 targets. Clay for reference had 103 targets.

Eagles featured wide receivers and running backs in the passing game more then TE last year. Jackson was at 126 targets, Cooper had 84, McCoy had 65, even Jason Avant managed 76 targets on the year. I think the Lazor hire was good news for Mike Wallace, and Moreno's stats but not as much for Clay.

you realize Lazor was just the QB coach in philly. not the oc.

Love clay and it looks like he is earning the respect of players around the NFL...

His momma named him Clay after all:

[video=youtube;sZywE0AT1qY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZywE0AT1qY[/video]

The way Clay flourished last year is emblematic of something about Tannehill that not enough people talk about: he loves attacking the middle of the field. Back when he was at aTm, his favorite receiver wasn't Jeff Fuller, the touted outside reciever, or Uzoma Nwachukwu, who was probably their most physically talented receiver. It was Ryan Swope, the slot guy. Tannehill's preferences in this area have not changed. When he was a rookie, he relied on Bess in the slot. Last year I think they intended for it to be Dustin Keller, but ultimately it was Charles Clay that emerged.

Part of the folly in signing Mike Wallace -- and there were many -- is that utilizing an outside threat has never been Tannehill's game. When he goes to the outside, he likes comebacks and outs. Not coincidentally, these are the two routes Brian Hartline runs best. Seam routes, post corners, the skinny post etc are not his favorites.

So while I'm still not sold on Jarvis Landry the player, what I am sold on is Jarvis Landry the scheme fit. He's an inside/slot guy, and Tannehill loves inside/slot guys.

[video=youtube;Wt4UIvOLLUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt4UIvOLLUE[/video]
The play we'll all remember him for is at the 4:33 mark.

you realize Lazor was just the QB coach in philly. not the oc.

I think Lazor is going to bring some of the tendencies and formations that Chip Kelly used to Miami. But also remember Lazor was the OC at Virginia for 3 years 2010-12, in those three years running back got the most receptions of any player 2x. The TE with the most catches ranked 5th in receptions twice and ninth the other year. I'm not saying that Clay will have a bad year I just don't expect him to put up the numbers he did last year.

I think Lazor is going to bring some of the tendencies and formations that Chip Kelly used to Miami. But also remember Lazor was the OC at Virginia for 3 years 2010-12, in those three years running back got the most receptions of any player 2x. The TE with the most catches ranked 5th in receptions twice and ninth the other year. I'm not saying that Clay will have a bad year I just don't expect him to put up the numbers he did last year.

didn't know that about his college days. makes more sense in that case.

The way Clay flourished last year is emblematic of something about Tannehill that not enough people talk about: he loves attacking the middle of the field. Back when he was at aTm, his favorite receiver wasn't Jeff Fuller, the touted outside reciever, or Uzoma Nwachukwu, who was probably their most physically talented receiver. It was Ryan Swope, the slot guy. Tannehill's preferences in this area have not changed. When he was a rookie, he relied on Bess in the slot. Last year I think they intended for it to be Dustin Keller, but ultimately it was Charles Clay that emerged.

Part of the folly in signing Mike Wallace -- and there were many -- is that utilizing an outside threat has never been Tannehill's game. When he goes to the outside, he likes comebacks and outs. Not coincidentally, these are the two routes Brian Hartline runs best. Seam routes, post corners, the skinny post etc are not his favorites.

So while I'm still not sold on Jarvis Landry the player, what I am sold on is Jarvis Landry the scheme fit. He's an inside/slot guy, and Tannehill loves inside/slot guys.

Yeah if Keller would have made it through the season I think he would have been in store for one hell of a pay day. Gibson was becoming a favorite target too. I'm not saying Landrey is going to be the best WR of the class but I think he's in the best position of them all to succeed in the short term, if he can develop a rapport with Tannehill and start week one I could easily see Landry having a 1000 yard season as a rookie.

Stories like this are why I'm still torn on Tannehill, his game management is poor but it doesn't seem to matter who we trot out there he's able to make pedestrian guys like Hartline, Bess and Clay look pretty good, and thats with 5 turnstiles parked in front of him. Then again we've been without a good QB for so long below average probably feels good to us, kind of like how a hotdog would taste like the greatest meal ever to a starving person.

Good for him. I would imagine Pouncey and Wake are on the list as well.

I don't think Dolphin fans truly appreciate the versatility of Clay. Belichick would give his left nut to have Clay.

Back
Top Bottom