Charles Harris Traded. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Harris Traded.

Your kidding right? A GM’s biggest role is constructing a roster. You know that a GM is a coaches boss right? On the food chain a GM is above a coach. Why do you think a lot of coaches want to add GM to their title? So they can “buy the groceries” as Bill Parcells used to say. So you think Harbaugh drafted all those players in Baltimore and not the great Ozzie Newsome? Do you think Garrett was pulling the strings in Dallas? I think Jerry and Steven Jones would argue that.
Sorry coaches unless they have dual titles do not make picks, scouts do not makes picks, owners not named Jerry Jones don’t make picks.
If my chief job is to put together a winning roster I damn sure may listen to suggestions but ultimately I am picking who I think will make us successful.
In 20 years to say this mans fingerprints have some how not been on this organization is ludicrous.
Agree, with the help of scouts. The coach will have a say, what kind of players he likes, but GM is the final say.

It's just weird that people have to BLINDLY defend Grier.

This isn't a situation where the GM has a history of great picks - this isn't Ozzie Newsome or something where a report surfaces that maybe it wasn't his pick, but you're not sure - you believe it.

Grier has been a MAJOR FACTOR in all things the draft - head of scouting, personnel, the actual GM - and we have been consistently bad at drafting.

We are all VERY AWARE there were multiple chefs in the kitchen a lot of times, but he was in every kitchen every single time and guess what? Nothing good has come from it. I'm glad we can cite X as a great pick up - a GM should land on SOMETHING... but I remember that draft and everyone on this forum was like WHO IS THAT? Maybe 10-15% of people liked the pick. And the word on the street is the team was ELATED he fell where he did, the team "didn't think he would last that long".

Dude did not produce. At all. Not even as a 4th or 5th or 6th round pick. I think I recall him batting down a couple passes or deflecting a punt/field goal... yippee.

Fact is we need to stop blindly defending the GM who's been a huge part of an organization that has been mediocre or worse for over two decades. We're all Dolphin fans here, but we don't need to blindly suck off a front office that hasn't done anything to deserve it. They still have a lot to prove. And so does Chris Grier - I love the new front office additions and the offseason we had this year. Lets keep going. But as of now, he deserves... well, nothing.

This isn't a situation where the GM has a history of great picks - this isn't Ozzie Newsome or something where a report surfaces that maybe it wasn't his pick, but you're not sure - you believe it.

Grier has been a MAJOR FACTOR in all things the draft - head of scouting, personnel, the actual GM - and we have been consistently bad at drafting.

We are all VERY AWARE there were multiple chefs in the kitchen a lot of times, but he was in every kitchen every single time and guess what? Nothing good has come from it. I'm glad we can cite X as a great pick up - a GM should land on SOMETHING... but I remember that draft and everyone on this forum was like WHO IS THAT? Maybe 10-15% of people liked the pick. And the word on the street is the team was ELATED he fell where he did, the team "didn't think he would last that long".

Dude did not produce. At all. Not even as a 4th or 5th or 6th round pick. I think I recall him batting down a couple passes or deflecting a punt/field goal... yippee.

Fact is we need to stop blindly defending the GM who's been a huge part of an organization that has been mediocre or worse for over two decades. We're all Dolphin fans here, but we don't need to blindly suck off a front office that hasn't done anything to deserve it. They still have a lot to prove. And so does Chris Grier - I love the new front office additions and the offseason we had this year. Lets keep going. But as of now, he deserves... well, nothing.

You sir just crushed it.

I remember he made that ONE good play...

that ONE time.

He will be missed....

Not be me though. ;)

probably by those guys that like to say 'WE' a lot. :p

Your kidding right? A GM’s biggest role is constructing a roster. You know that a GM is a coaches boss right? On the food chain a GM is above a coach. Why do you think a lot of coaches want to add GM to their title? So they can “buy the groceries” as Bill Parcells used to say. So you think Harbaugh drafted all those players in Baltimore and not the great Ozzie Newsome? Do you think Garrett was pulling the strings in Dallas? I think Jerry and Steven Jones would argue that.
Sorry coaches unless they have dual titles do not make picks, scouts do not makes picks, owners not named Jerry Jones don’t make picks.
If my chief job is to put together a winning roster I damn sure may listen to suggestions but ultimately I am picking who I think will make us successful.
In 20 years to say this mans fingerprints have some how not been on this organization is ludicrous.
Grier was never a coach’s boss until last year.

The power structure was that the Coach and the GM were on equal footing and both reported to Tbaum. That is not a crazy or unusual power structure as at one point 19 of 32 teams had their teams structured that way.

The issue with that, is that the coach tends to end up with more power because they are more directly responsible for the product on the field. So if the GM doesn’t give the coach the players the coach wants, it is hard to have success.

Last year, we moved to a traditional power structure, which is more like what you’re talking about.

You are blindly blaming Grier, WADR.

There are facts about the specific situation in Miami that you’re ignoring and substituting with how things work in a generic FO. You’re essentially arguing in favor of movie physics over actual physics.

You are blindly blaming Grier, WADR.

There are facts about the specific situation in Miami that you’re ignoring and substituting with how things work in a generic FO. You’re essentially arguing in favor of movie physics over actual physics.

The GM should get blame for draft picks, we cannot assume Grier was overruled for friggin Charles Harris.
if he is or was a powerless GM than that speaks more to his weakness

The GM should get blame for draft picks, we cannot assume Grier was overruled for friggin Charles Harris.
I’m not saying he was over ruled with Harris.

Jesus we drafted this guy with a damn first round pick and and can only get a 7th round pick ouch
For that I think I might have kept him but he did truly suck. one of our worst first round picks in recent memory.
Maybe we should just not draft DE's in the first round

Look at who is talking about assumptions. Someone who has assumed Grier should get the blame. Football is supposed to be a team game, even in the front offices!

Back
Top Bottom