Charlie Weis for OC in 2005 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charlie Weis for OC in 2005

I wouldn't really consider Weis for the head coaching gig. Don't just think of the last three years of New England's offense though when you think of Charlie Weis. If I'm not mistaken, he was the offensive coordinator for the Jets under Bill Parcells too, and had Vinny Testeverde resurrecting his career, making Keyshawn into the best looking WR in the league, and Curtis Martin one of the best RBs...and good OL play. I could be way off base in that one, but he did well with good talent for the Jets, and he did well with mediocre overall talent for the Patriots, and even though the Patriots didn't consistently put up those points they were an offense that put up the points when they needed them most.

Here, let me put this to rest. Here's his bio from the Pats website.

Charlie Weis, a 25-year coaching veteran, including 14 seasons in the NFL, is enjoying his eighth season with the New England Patriots and his fourth as the team’s offensive coordinator. In 14 NFL seasons, his coaching contributions have helped produce two Super Bowl Championships, three conference titles and four division titles. In recent years, Weis has gained widespread respect as one of the league’s most creative offensive coordinators.

In 2001 and 2002, Weis drew additional responsibilities as quarterbacks coach, a role he accepted after suffering the personal loss of quarterbacks coach Dick Rehbein, one of his closest friends and coaching confidants, who died in August of 2001. That season, Drew Bledsoe started the first two games of the season before being sidelined with a serious chest injury. By the third week of the season, Weis was preparing second-year quarterback Tom Brady for his first NFL start. Under Weis’ tutelage, the former sixth-round draft choice blossomed into a Pro Bowl performer and eventual Super Bowl MVP in his first year as an NFL starter. Brady’s success should have come as no surprise to Patriots fans. In Weis’ previous four-year stint (1993-96) with the Patriots, he earned a reputation for developing individual offensive star performances. He coached three different positions in three consecutive years and helped develop some of the franchise’s best individual single-season performances from Ben Coates, Curtis Martin and Terry Glenn, respectively.

Offensively, the Patriots scored 371 total points in 2001, sixth in the NFL and the highest point production by the Patriots since 1996. His offense also produced the franchise’s first 100-reception individual performance, earning Troy Brown a trip to the Pro Bowl. The team also adopted a power rushing attack, as Antowain Smith rushed for 1,157 yards, the most since 1997, and 12 rushing touchdowns, the most since 1996.

In 2002, Brady continued to develop into one of the league’s most prolific passers. He completed 373 of 601 attempts for 3,764 yards and led the NFL with 28 touchdowns. In two seasons as a starter in Weis’ offense, Brady has completed 62.7 percent of his passes, which already places him as the most accurate passer in franchise history.

Weis began his professional coaching career with the New York Giants in 1990. After working in the Giants pro personnel department in 1989, Weis was named defensive assistant and assistant special teams coach. In his first season on the Giants coaching staff, the Giants claimed the Super Bowl title with a 16-3 overall record. In 1991, Ray Handley took over as coach of the Giants and named Weis his running backs coach.

He originally joined the Patriots in 1993, beginning a very successful stint. During his first four seasons in New England (1993-96), he coached three different positions – tight ends, running backs and wide receivers – and was a key contributor in the development of Coates, Martin and Glenn. In 1993 and 1994, he served as the team’s tight ends coach. In 1993, Coates led the team with 53 receptions, including 8 touchdowns. In 1994, Coates set an NFL record for receptions by a tight end with 96 and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl as a first-team All-Pro. In 1995, Weis was re-assigned to coach the Patriots’ running backs and was credited with developing Martin, a third-round ‘95 draft pick, into one of the premier running backs in the NFL. That year, Martin won Rookie of the Year honors and set franchise rushing records with 1,487 yards and 14 touchdowns. He was the only rookie representative in the 1996 Pro Bowl and his 1,487 yards rushing was the fourth-best rookie performance in NFL history. His 14 rushing touchdowns also ranked third all-time among rookie rushers. In 1996, Weis was again assigned a new position, drawing the duty of coaching the team’s receivers. Under his tutelage, Glenn led the team and set an NFL rookie reception record with 90 catches for 1,132 yards and six touchdowns. He finished second to fellow Ohio State alum Eddie George in the Associated Press balloting for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

From 1997 to 1999, Weis called the offensive plays for the New York Jets. In his first season with the Jets, New York improved from 1-15 in 1996 to 9-7 in 1997. The eight-game improvement was the best in franchise history. In addition to his own play-calling, Weis employed a triumvirate of receivers who were largely responsible for the success of the Jets offense. Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet and Jeff Graham combined for 170 receptions for 2,304 yards and 10 touchdowns. In 1998, the Jets improved to 12-4 to claim their first division title in franchise history. That year, Weis was named the offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach after a year of handling the dual responsibilities. By season’s end, his offense ranked among the greatest in franchise history and led the team to their first 12-win season. The team scored 416 points, the second highest total in franchise history (419 points in 1968) and averaged 357.2 yards per game. It was the second-best season average in Jets history (368.5 ypg in 1985). In addition, they also controlled the ball for an average of 32:17 per game, second in the AFC and third in the NFL. Both of Weis’ starting receivers, Johnson (1,131) and Chrebet (1,083), eclipsed the 1,000-yard receiving plateau for the first time in their respective careers. It also marked the first time since 1986 that two Jets receivers reached that milestone in one season. At the conclusion of the 1998 season, three of his offensive stars  Johnson, Curtis Martin and Vinny Testaverde  were voted to represent the AFC in the Pro Bowl.

In 1999, Weis’ offense produced the league’s second-leading rusher and the AFC’s fourth ranked receiver. Martin rushed for 1,464 yards, falling just 90 yards shy of the rushing title. Keyshawn Johnson led the team and established career-highs with 89 receptions for 1,170 yards. He was elected to his second consecutive Pro Bowl at the end of the season.

Weis has enjoyed tremendous coaching success at all levels, including high school, college and in the pros. The Trenton native began his coaching career in 1979 at a high school in New Jersey. In 1985, he was hired as an assistant at the University of South Carolina, where he coached for four seasons before returning to New Jersey as the head coach at Franklin Township High in 1989. That year, he directed them to the New Jersey State Championship. In 1990, he launched his professional coaching career with the New York Giants and celebrated his first Super Bowl championship.

So basically, whatever this guy touches...turns to gold. I mean seriously. He was a tight ends coach, and all the sudden Ben Coates goes All-Pro. He was a RB coach, all the sudden Curtis Martin goes All-Pro. He was a WR coach, Terry Glenn as a rookie reaches a production level he's never matched since then. He was double dutying OC and QB coach, and Tom Brady turns into...well, Tom Brady. As an OC he manages to score tons of points in New York with Testeverde as QB tossing to Chrebet, Keyshawn, and running with CuMart with an OL that played really well.

What more do ya want?

ckparrothead said:
So basically, whatever this guy touches...turns to gold. I mean seriously. He was a tight ends coach, and all the sudden Ben Coates goes All-Pro. He was a RB coach, all the sudden Curtis Martin goes All-Pro. He was a WR coach, Terry Glenn as a rookie reaches a production level he's never matched since then. He was double dutying OC and QB coach, and Tom Brady turns into...well, Tom Brady. As an OC he manages to score tons of points in New York with Testeverde as QB tossing to Chrebet, Keyshawn, and running with CuMart with an OL that played really well.

What more do ya want?

Ben Coates, Curtis Martin, Terry Glenn, and Tom Brady are talented players.

How about the fact that his current offense has averaged .31 points per game more that the Fins offense over the last four years. Even the last three years, they have averaged 1.4 points per game more than the Fins. That includes the games played by Lucas! The offense that Fin fans are sure is the worst in league history has only been marginally outperformed by Wies' offense.

I can't say this any simpler, the Pats have been successful because of Belichick. They are a well coached, balanced team. They thrive mostly on defense.

I'm not saying he won't be a good HC, but you are overrating his performance.

Just my opinion.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Ben Coates, Curtis Martin, Terry Glenn, and Tom Brady are talented players.

How about the fact that his current offense has averaged .31 points per game more that the Fins offense over the last four years. Even the last three years, they have averaged 1.4 points per game more than the Fins. That includes the games played by Lucas! The offense that Fin fans are sure is the worst in league history has only been marginally outperformed by Wies' offense.

I can't say this any simpler, the Pats have been successful because of Belichick. They are a well coached, balanced team. They thrive mostly on defense.

I'm not saying he won't be a good HC, but you are overrating his performance.

Just my opinion.

Yes, but he is still better than what we've already got

Hey Taylor99, maybe you can explain what a Cleveland Steamer is for the uninitiated...? Where did you get that avatar?

"The extreme act of she itting on your partners chest. Sometimes used as a revenge act."

I got my avatar from getoffended.com

PS. Look at my profile name.

Back
Top Bottom