Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bopkin02, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Bopkin02

Bopkin02 Seasoned Veteran

OK, so this is just a hypothetical to see where people stand on these three guys at 11;
    Let's say on Draft day, teams go QB crazy - Let's assume Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen go fast; and maybe by late April some team trades up for Lamar Jackson; Let's assume DE Chubb goes to the Colts; Let's assume Barkley goes top 10; that's 7 spots. Let's say the other three taken before us are Fitzpatrick, Ward, and Edmunds. That would leave us at 11 looking at choosing between Nelson G, James S, Smith LB...and let's assume we can't trade down because we can't get the value we want, so we pick.
    Of those three, at 11, who are you taking?

2. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Smith > Nelson > James

But, they're all good choices.

3. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

James>Smith>Nelson.

Warning: Doll is way better than me at this stuff. Lol

phish, outlawd2u, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  4. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Smith...James...Nelson
    DEFENSE FIRST....

Albert Romano likes this.
  5. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

First, I'd say pick at 11, don't gamble on the lure of more picks is better.
    Secondly, I'm fine with any of them. Kinda makes the trio BPA.
    Nelson seems to be a Mauler for the next 10 years. Smith would finally cover te's, and James would bring physicallity to our defense no matter where we put him.

6. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I put Smith and James on the same level, so I'll actually go preference of need and go with Smith. Nelson is great and although I'm not a fan of drafting guards in the first round, I wouldn't be mad if we ended up with him. But for my reasons I wouldn't go that route myself.

7. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

There is a small issue with each pick:

1) Where exactly does Smith fit long term with RM on the roster. Would have to be clear what their plan is to take him, and not just hope they can throw them at any spot and expect success.

2) Will they really take a 3rd safety with 2 starters getting decent money already? To me safety is a somewhat overvalued position, I find DE way more of a need for the phins at this point in time.

3) Will they draft a G that high or is that against their philosophy? I'd be ok with this, as OL is what makes or breaks Tannehill and the offense. I would prob still take a DE if one of similar quality was there when we pick but that seems doubtful.

8. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I'm starting to come around the idea to Nelson. If he can be as good as people think it just remind me of the impact someone like Steve Hutchinson had in Seattle and Minnesota. With that being said. Nelson, Smith, James.

I don't like the idea of taking a safety with almost a top 10 pick unless he's special. I know people here like James, but I don't see it.

maralieus likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I like both Derwin James and Roquan Smith.

But between the two players, granted that both of them have ability and impact coming out of their ears, I think you have to give the edge to the one that beats the prototype, as opposed to the one who chaffs against the prototype. Derwin James has great size and speed relative to his position in the secondary, be it corner or safety. Roquan Smith is undersized relative to his position as a linebacker. If one was clearly a better football player than the other that would be one thing, but I think they're both high impact, very good football players. So I think you give the edge to the guy with better profile.

Nelson trails the two of them by a good distance, to me.

I actually have Derwin James up with Bradley Chubb, Saquon Barkley, and Marcus Davenport on the short list. I have Roquan Smith at the head of a list of players that would take priority should that first group be off the board.

Taking aside the QB question, of course...which I always think has to be treated as sort of an exogenous decision relative to any draft board you construct.

10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

I'd take Nelson

They'd take Smith

We probably should take James

11. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

James...

James has been the impact player on whatever team he has played on...offered a scholarship even before he entered the 9th grade. A true freak. I know a lot have soured on him because of the Noles overall season and his perceived play (I still don't think he was 100% going into last season), but a lot had to do with what he was asked to do in that defense and the general poor scheme implemented by Kelly. I think that after the combine and people see him move at 6'2" plus 210 plus he is going to be right back in the mix for top consideration.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  12. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

James-Smith-Nelson. James and Smith are both alpha-leaders which is sorely needed on this defense. I like Nelson but would probably try for Hernandez or Wynn day 2

Albert Romano, Ray R and joenhre like this.
  13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

This.

Was just speaking to someone who had spoken with a source at FSU program last week and the source said Derwin was the most alpha player they've had in maybe two decades. Said, "Derwin talks, everyone listen. Even coaches."

14. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm looking for an impact player. Someone that changes the game when you need it most. As much as I'd like to finally fix the OL, a guard doesn't really do that. I'd probably go James, Smith.

joenhre and ckparrothead like this.
  15. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I would go with Derwin, but with a clause: try to trade one of the current safeties for pick this year or for future pick. Otherwise, I would go with Nelson. A competent stout line changes the entire offense.

Pandarilla and Anvil35 like this.
  16. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'd take James (biased alert) - but I'd be thrilled with those picks.

17. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

I’d be happy with each of the three. I think James would be my first choice. He’s got potential to be a game changer. So I’ll go:

1)James
    2)Smith
    3) Nelson

18. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Well my vote is for the player least likely to be available........Nelson. No hesitations running that card in if he's there at 11.

JRYCRL and Pandarilla like this.
  19. Honeybager08

Honeybager08 Active Member

I would take Nelson.. The linebacker class is deep this year. You can get someone like Fred Warner,who can cover in the 4th round.

JRYCRL and Ray R like this.
  20. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

James...

Everybody else

21. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like James but there's definitely bust potential with him, based on how he was used, Roy Williams is the comp.

22. hoops

That’s an odd comp for me. I don’t think Roy Williams could ever cover slots didn’t have the fluidity. Don’t think he has James top end speed either. If he did it was in a straight line

I think James may drop late 4.4s

But miami has to think more than just strong safety role if it adds James

I’m a firm believer that 6 foot and 230 at lb won’t go top 10 in Roquans case. I’m gonna need to see 235 and 4.5s if he’s coming in around 6 foot for that to change

I don’t think Nelson’s gonna test athletically well enough to carry a top 10 grade. But then again if he’s 6 foot 5 and 330 he may not have to

23. Fin Mex

Fin Mex FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I very much like D. James and use McDonald as cover LB. Does it make sense?

24. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I've been sold on James for a while now, but this seals the deal. That is Exactly what we need.

Beach Bum 91 and MiamiMuss like this.
  25. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I think it kind of makes sense the other way around. There isn't a single player in this draft who's better suited to shut down opposing TE's in the pass game. To me that's where his real value lies for us... we've struggled to cover TE's, RB's and anything over the middle really for Years and James is the perfect player to make all of that come to an end. Now with that being said Roquan will be a very good player in this league and would be good at doing those things also, but James is the pick for me in this scenerio by a good margin.

Hargitt01 likes this.
  26. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm in favor of the BPA at 11.

My preferences are:

1) G - Nelson
    2) LB- Smith Exception: (If the FO feels that Smith has a noticeable edge over Nelson at BPA, I would reverse my first two choices)
    3) S - James (Based on my criteria, he would be out of the running at pick 11 unless he was seen as the only BPA at that pick )

I realize that there may be three or four players that the FO feel have about equal BPA ratings at each pick in the draft. If the BPA ratings are equal I'd go with an offensive lineman, but if there is a noticeable edge in favor of a defensive player I'd go for a defensive back. The proposed possibilities would leave two defensive backs, a safety or a linebacker. I would select the one that would improve our team the most. Of those two positions I would go with the linebacker. This is because I feel that defensively we are weakest at the linebacker positions(both skill and depth) and are currently fairly competent at the safety and corner positions, depending on how the defense is set up.

miamiron likes this.
  27. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Ward in 1.5 seconds. Dude is going to be a star. Move up and get him. I understand he is off the board in your post , but we truly need this guy.

28. Jerrysanders

I agree they're two different types of athletes but I was thinking from the way they're being used, I think James set a record with number snaps lined up on the LOS.

Honestly I think u will see those type of numbers, I'd be shocked if he isn't a 4.5 guy.

U may right on Nelson as far as speed and redirect testing but I expect him to have good explosive testing and if thats the case unless ur a ZBS heavy team, I think he can crack top 15.

29. hoops

For comparisons sake scherf I believe was 6 foot 4 and 306 Nelson’s a monster if he’s 6 foot 5 and 330.

You will be willing to sacrifice some athlete for that kind of premium size I’d say. He’s murder in the run game but not as technically or foot gifted as Zach martin. And not a scherf foot or athlete either

I’d say worst case derwin runs lows 4.5s. But I’m not drafting him if he’s not plan a carry coverage on size at tight end.

If the scheme doesn’t allow for it then I pass considering what I already have in house.

I don’t think any of these lbs are gonna carry coverage vs top level athlete tight ends with size either. There aren’t many true pure high level cover lbs in the nfl. Teams just try to put athletes on them at lb to limit the exposure and scheme everything else.

For instance how do you think Roquan at 6 foot and 230 is gonna defend the ball above his head to tight ends with high point catch radius and size?

I won’t be surprised if Roquan is on the board come pick 25. The best guy his size Lavonte David had more instincts and went what in the 2nd round? Erik Kendrick’s same thing both possessed better instincts. Poa wise I think they are all similar however the other 2 have better read and diag box skills. He will get a bump for that top level speed but top 10 at 6 foot and change and 230ish? I’ve never seen it.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  30. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If those are the10 guys that go first then at 11 I'd take Davenport

Ozzy rules!!

31. Jerrysanders

U got me there, I've never seen it either but then again the value for those types is higher than its ever been, the trend is changing but u made a great point cause athletes types lbs still don't carry coverage that well vs athletic tight ends.

32. Jerrysanders

I'm not sold Barkely will be the top back taken. Guice is rb1 in my opinion.

33. Jerrysanders

His size doesn't scare u for a top 15 pick ?

34. Rolltide03

Rolltide03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Fitzpatrick or James my top 2 easy

I wonder how much Ridley is being considered

35. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Not til I seen what Grimes can do. Ward got unbelievable jump skills. Plus dude is a blanket on WRs.

36. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

The line of we already have safeites with the TJ contract just doesn’t hold water to me. Im not sure I trust the guy for one and were not paying him a ton of money so Im not passig on James if he is highest on my board.

You want a DE, Smith or Nelson for other reasons, I can understand.

Ray R likes this.
  37. nbfin

nbfin finborn64

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/dolphinsb_logo.gif

[​IMG] Miami Dolphins: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
    image: http://walterfootball.com/college/OhioState_logo.gif

[​IMG]
    Cornerback is a big problem area for the Dolphins. Byron Maxwell was released, so Miami will need to find a replacement. It helps that the Dolphins are getting one of the top players available with this pick.

It's going to be a close call as to which corner is selected first between Joshua Jackson and Denzel Ward. Both could be taken near the bottom of the top 10.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz57BosdQZ3

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#yQmdWBFZDd0XCee5.99

maralieus likes this.
  38. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I couldn't disagree more that CB is a big problem for the phins. It's one of very few positions I feel completely comfortable with this season. We have X, Tank, Lippet that are all ascending, good players. It is the one position we actually have a little depth which is good bc every year someone seems to get injured at every position. I would be furious if we drafted a CB early in this draft.

Anvil35, EricCartman and tazthenomad like this.
  39. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Take James. He offers the most position flexibility combined with size/speed combo.

Smith will be a great linebacker in a scheme where he is not asked to gap fill. That's exactly what we would need him to do.s

Nelson looks like a 10 year Pro Bowler, but he also will be wasted in our scheme. Find a way to get Isaiah Wynn instead. He'll plug in at Guard, but can be flexed out to Tackle if you need him in an injury situation.

40. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

D. James is a no-brainer. Use either TJ or RJ as the S/LB the ability to shift for a 4-3-4 to a 4-2-5 without subbing is huge.

Ikema, maralieus, MiamiMuss and 2 others like this.