Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
OK, so this is just a hypothetical to see where people stand on these three guys at 11;
Let's say on Draft day, teams go QB crazy - Let's assume Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen go fast; and maybe by late April some team trades up for Lamar Jackson; Let's assume DE Chubb goes to the Colts; Let's assume Barkley goes top 10; that's 7 spots. Let's say the other three taken before us are Fitzpatrick, Ward, and Edmunds. That would leave us at 11 looking at choosing between Nelson G, James S, Smith LB...and let's assume we can't trade down because we can't get the value we want, so we pick.
Of those three, at 11, who are you taking?

First, I'd say pick at 11, don't gamble on the lure of more picks is better.
Secondly, I'm fine with any of them. Kinda makes the trio BPA.
Nelson seems to be a Mauler for the next 10 years. Smith would finally cover te's, and James would bring physicallity to our defense no matter where we put him.

I put Smith and James on the same level, so I'll actually go preference of need and go with Smith. Nelson is great and although I'm not a fan of drafting guards in the first round, I wouldn't be mad if we ended up with him. But for my reasons I wouldn't go that route myself.

There is a small issue with each pick:

1) Where exactly does Smith fit long term with RM on the roster. Would have to be clear what their plan is to take him, and not just hope they can throw them at any spot and expect success.

2) Will they really take a 3rd safety with 2 starters getting decent money already? To me safety is a somewhat overvalued position, I find DE way more of a need for the phins at this point in time.

3) Will they draft a G that high or is that against their philosophy? I'd be ok with this, as OL is what makes or breaks Tannehill and the offense. I would prob still take a DE if one of similar quality was there when we pick but that seems doubtful.

I'm starting to come around the idea to Nelson. If he can be as good as people think it just remind me of the impact someone like Steve Hutchinson had in Seattle and Minnesota. With that being said. Nelson, Smith, James.

I don't like the idea of taking a safety with almost a top 10 pick unless he's special. I know people here like James, but I don't see it.

I like both Derwin James and Roquan Smith.

But between the two players, granted that both of them have ability and impact coming out of their ears, I think you have to give the edge to the one that beats the prototype, as opposed to the one who chaffs against the prototype. Derwin James has great size and speed relative to his position in the secondary, be it corner or safety. Roquan Smith is undersized relative to his position as a linebacker. If one was clearly a better football player than the other that would be one thing, but I think they're both high impact, very good football players. So I think you give the edge to the guy with better profile.

Nelson trails the two of them by a good distance, to me.

I actually have Derwin James up with Bradley Chubb, Saquon Barkley, and Marcus Davenport on the short list. I have Roquan Smith at the head of a list of players that would take priority should that first group be off the board.

Taking aside the QB question, of course...which I always think has to be treated as sort of an exogenous decision relative to any draft board you construct.

James...

James has been the impact player on whatever team he has played on...offered a scholarship even before he entered the 9th grade. A true freak. I know a lot have soured on him because of the Noles overall season and his perceived play (I still don't think he was 100% going into last season), but a lot had to do with what he was asked to do in that defense and the general poor scheme implemented by Kelly. I think that after the combine and people see him move at 6'2" plus 210 plus he is going to be right back in the mix for top consideration.

Last edited:
James-Smith-Nelson. James and Smith are both alpha-leaders which is sorely needed on this defense. I like Nelson but would probably try for Hernandez or Wynn day 2

James...

James has been the impact player on whatever team he has played on...offered a scholarship even before he entered the 9th grade. A true freak. I know a lot have soured on him because of the Noles overall season and his perceived play (I still don't think he was 100% going into last season), but a lot had to do with what he was asked to do in that defense and the general poor scheme implemented by Kelly. I think that after the combine and people see him move at 6'2" plus 210 plus he is going to be right back in the mix for top consideration.

This.

Was just speaking to someone who had spoken with a source at FSU program last week and the source said Derwin was the most alpha player they've had in maybe two decades. Said, "Derwin talks, everyone listen. Even coaches."

I'm looking for an impact player. Someone that changes the game when you need it most. As much as I'd like to finally fix the OL, a guard doesn't really do that. I'd probably go James, Smith.

I would go with Derwin, but with a clause: try to trade one of the current safeties for pick this year or for future pick. Otherwise, I would go with Nelson. A competent stout line changes the entire offense.

Back
Top Bottom