Chop | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

Love the pick. I watched about half of his games. He consitently wins his battles. Nevermind the stats, he was productive and impactful. Hes also pretty decent in coverage - I dont think hes just a situational guy. He'll need to change how he plays in the NFL, he was in a four point stance a lot in college and didnt stand up too much. He's also is obsessed with wathcing game tapes, definitely a hard worker and marture person that's commited to football.
Productive with 4 sacks?! Would he start for Fins if Phillips and Chubby were healthy? No! I know theres more than sacks that go into it, but cmon thats how edge rushers are judged. So many holes on this team and they take a backup with their 1st rd pick?! Mind boggling that the entire org agreed on this guy. This is why they continue to be a middling organization.

Do I need to explain the definition of experience to you? - LOL
Wait until Chop has played as many games as Tindall. - LOL
The OP said Chop was bound to get snaps because we had nobody else. I was just pointing out that we have Tindall who has 2 years more NFL experience, and nominally plays the same position OLB. It was tongue in cheek, but I really do wish Tindall would become something useful.

Productive with 4 sacks?! Would he start for Fins if Phillips and Chubby were healthy? No! I know theres more than sacks that go into it, but cmon thats how edge rushers are judged. So many holes on this team and they take a backup with their 1st rd pick?! Mind boggling that the entire org agreed on this guy. This is why they continue to be a middling organization.
Move him to ILB I guess.

We agree on this one bro.

It took a while for AVG to really come on. We need to give Chop the same level of patience. He's raw, but if he puts in the work, he should get there.

Not to mention I think AVG was 24 when we picked him. In comparison, Verse is turning 24 before week 1 and Latu will be 24 before the postseason. Chop doesn’t turn 22 until January 2025.

Patience is key here. He’s a high end talent with loads of potential. He CAN contribute immediately but we won’t see the finished product for 2-3 years. Thats exciting to me, and right in time for when it’s time to move on from Chubb.

There’s too much focus on sack production. He was top 10 in the FBS in pressures in 2023. Played the entire season as a 20-year old.

it’s impossible this dude busts, he oozes football talent, combined with explosive measurables and great work ethic, from what is being reported

His plan to disrupt is very different and unique, the lore you watch the kite you start to see how different
The issue I had with him as a prospect is that I agree with everything you said, but he had 60 tackles and 11.5 sacks in 3 collegiate seasons. The talent and athleticism have been there from day 1. He just never put any of it together on the field consistently. With the talent available when we picked, it seems a bit luxurious to take a developmental EDGE player over guys ready to start. People keeping saying Charles Harris 2.0, but my concern is more Dion Jordan 2.0 minus all the weed hopefully.

Exactly! I'm not giving Grier the benefit of the doubt especially considering his less than stellar draft results over the years.

He is horrible at drafting trenches.

Heinous reach last night.

He was the 4th edge rusher drafted and NO ONE had him ranked lower than the 4th edge rusher in the class. He had a first round grade from pretty much every major publication/draft junkie.

CK had him behind Latu as his #2 edge and admittedly went into his film expecting to not like him at all. Came away floored and a big fan.

Not to mention I think AVG was 24 when we picked him. In comparison, Verse is turning 24 before week 1 and Latu will be 24 before the postseason. Chop doesn’t turn 22 until January 2025.

Patience is key here. He’s a high end talent with loads of potential. He CAN contribute immediately but we won’t see the finished product for 2-3 years. Thats exciting to me, and right in time for when it’s time to move on from Chubb.

There’s too much focus on sack production. He was top 10 in the FBS in pressures in 2023. Played the entire season as a 20-year old.

What's cool is he's coming into a situation with Phillips and Chubb where he will have some good mentors to teach him how to be a pro and get him on track.

The issue I had with him as a prospect is that I agree with everything you said, but he had 60 tackles and 11.5 sacks in 3 collegiate seasons. The talent and athleticism have been there from day 1. He just never put any of it together on the field consistently. With the talent available when we picked, it seems a bit luxurious to take a developmental EDGE player over guys ready to start. People keeping saying Charles Harris 2.0, but my concern is more Dion Jordan 2.0 minus all the weed hopefully.
Ya no doubt! I wanted an instant starter at #21 not a long term project!

He was the 4th edge rusher drafted and NO ONE had him ranked lower than the 4th edge rusher in the class. He had a first round grade from pretty much every major publication/draft junkie.

CK had him behind Latu as his #2 edge and admittedly went into his film expecting to not like him at all. Came away floored and a big fan.
4th in a very weak year for edge rushers.

Latu is one hit away from a wheelchair. I felt Verse was the only one worth taking in the first.

We got Charles Harris 2.0.

Welcome to Miami Chop!

I was hoping O-line, but still time to address that. This is a good solid pick and the kid is young, explosive and has unbelievable athleticism.

Now, lets get that O-Line sorted out with our next pick or two and look for value at CB and WR

What about the rest of the games he played, or don't you know? - LOL
As I stated in a later post, my wife’s family is from PA near Penn State so I see them play a lot on T.V. I have seen him play in person 2 times I believe as I go to a home game once a year and he played at Maryland as a freshman.

He is fun to watch. He has elite athleticism and explodes forward when he rushes. The main issue he has is that even when he wins pass rush reps, he struggles to finish plays. Beyond that, he is not particularly good at setting the edge as a run defenders.

I brought up the Michigan game because they were (obviously) a great team and they took him out of the equation by running the ball right at him all game. Even with the injuries to Chubb and Phillips I don’t think Chop will be ready to start. If Weaver runs our defense anything like the Ravens, being fundamentally sound vs the run is more important than rushing the passer.

Back
Top Bottom