Chop | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

If you take Chop's RAS score as a LB (like they did with Parsons) instead of a DE this is what it looks like...

Screenshot_2024_03_29_at_7.45.08_AM.png

Can see why Grier drafted him, his athleticism is off the charts and he is only 21. Latu and Verse who people liked are only 18 months younger than Jaelen Phillips who is going into his 4th year.
Chop will likely be a situational pass rusher this year (and how we would have loved to have some late in the season against the Titans etc) while they coach him up on the other parts of the game. He's got 3 pro bowl calibre players to learn from this year.

I always thought they would go either Edge or WR with the first pick (due to Grier picking expensive positions) but was still hoping for a trade down. I don't mind the pick, it's shooting for the moon and if they coach him up properly he has the potential to be one of the best edge rushers in the league.
Chop looks even better for RAS when his Pro Day 3-cone of 7.01 is included.

The OP said Chop was bound to get snaps because we had nobody else. I was just pointing out that we have Tindall who has 2 years more NFL experience, and nominally plays the same position OLB. It was tongue in cheek, but I really do wish Tindall would become something useful.
Tindall is an off ball ILB. Chop is an Edge. They do not play the same position.

The issue I had with him as a prospect is that I agree with everything you said, but he had 60 tackles and 11.5 sacks in 3 collegiate seasons. The talent and athleticism have been there from day 1. He just never put any of it together on the field consistently. With the talent available when we picked, it seems a bit luxurious to take a developmental EDGE player over guys ready to start. People keeping saying Charles Harris 2.0, but my concern is more Dion Jordan 2.0 minus all the weed hopefully.
Good grief, Chop is not Dion Jordan minus the weed either. How much did you watch Jordan in college?

If you’re gonna make dumb statements then at least give an analysis for your reasoning
Something the other poster failed to do
I didn't see you list what credentials makes one a good GM.

As i said in my response, what makes anyone qualified? Grier attended the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he majored in journalism. He played 2 years in college.
Grier's father was the associate director of pro personnel for the Houston Texans from 2000-2016. Prior to that, his dad spent several years with the New England Patriots. He worked under his father with the Patriots.

So as i said in my original post - is his qualification the fact his father was in a front office? I'm guessing his journalism degree didn't make him better at breaking down tape than the next guy. And if he's qualified simply bc he grew up around football, then how the hell did his brother become an NHL player and now GM if he only knew football? It's all about networks and connections to get a shot in the sports business. Longevity is a different story.

Being a good teammate and being a leader are good things. But I could not care less what his teammates voted for. His tape shows a raw prospect. That is why he was ranked the 4th edge player despite his age and elite athleticism. You could make the argument he would have been a day 2 prospect without his combine numbers.
By that same token, if Chop goes back to college next year and puts up 10 sacks, he’s probably a top 5 pick in 2025. He finished his junior season at 20 years old. He’s very, very young for a prospect.

Nice stats, but that's all they are... stats. What good is having the #1 Offense if you can't beat the top teams? This top offense scored just one TD against Dallas and were lucky to win that game and scored just one TD in the Wild Card game against the Chiefs.

While IMO the stats are meaningless when it comes to how the season played out, I do think that those stats show that the offense has potential. However, to realize that potential, they need a BETTER o-line and BETTER playcalling (by someone other than McDaniel).
Teams with terrible to bad offense lines can't put up the numbers that this team did. This team did not perform well against other good teams, all around. This isn't an isolated offensive line issue, this was an issue with the entire team no showing.

not really, Chop only has 32" arms, long armed OT's are going to be a problem for his to keep out of his body.
Normal arm length for a 6'3 man. What do you want him to have? Arms down to his knees? Wake is 6'3 with 32" arms. Look for something else to complain about.

Back
Top Bottom