Chris Grier meets with the media | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier meets with the media

You're right it's great that we finally have a plan and we all expected the Dolphins to be bad this year but is Grier the man we want overseeing the draft? His record is questionable to say the least. Charles Harris is a bust and we just traded away the player we selected instead of all pro players like Derwin James or Leighton Vander Esch. There's been talk that Ross suggested we move down for Lamar Jackson but Grier was absolutely sold on Minkah and thought he was a steal at 11. Picking Gesicki over Goedert is another bad call.
Truth is...I don't know if he is the man, but he's all we got. One thing that he's good at and that is tearing down a team. Give him a chance...what ese have we got to lose?

I think that should be a lesson to Grier (and a lot of us fans who were high on Minkah) that when a guy acts all team-leader, versatile, hard-worker in college at a superstar program, that's not the whole story.
How a guy acts when the chips are down, when you're not winning every game by a blowout, is when you see the real them. Minkah can't handle being on a sub-par/losing team, and it started to show in his play.

The way I look at it, last year's draft net-sum, we swapped Minkah and a 2nd + 5th rd pick for Rosen and a potentially high 1st rd pick. Right now I'm OK with that.

I’m starting to like Grier more and more. Straight forward, didn’t side step the questions and everyone is on the same page - next year: spend a ton of money in free agency and hit the draft hard.

Let’s just root for Pittsburgh and Houston to flop this year.
Pittsburgh could have a tough year with Big Ben out. Even with him I thought the Steelers were a little overrated.

Minkah didn't land in Davie in a UFO. This isn't hard. Grier drafted Minkah and hired the coaching staff. If Minkah had some personality flaws that led to his departure from the team, part of that is on the person who drafted him, no?

So for you there exist no possibility that minkah got into the NFL and wasn't as dominant as college bc the guys are bigger and faster, and he just changed? That his "i can do it all" changed in his own mind? For you, the only real option is a FO and coach failure that he wanted to leave?

So he pretty much said we are drafting a quarterback in round one. He didn’t even beet around the bush with that one. Thanks for giving us fans absolutely no reason to watch this year. Not even a glimmer of hope. Iv said it before, I can see us not giving Rosen a fair opportunity and him being a better qb than whoever we draft elsewhere

That's an opinion, one I know I don't share. I was pumped for either Flores or the guy from Dallas. I don't think I was alone in that.
Flores and Richard were the top two. nobody else wanted to be a part of a rebuild or they wanted to hitch their wagon to darnold/Mayfield and let them carry the team. I believe it came down to vision and Flores seems to have a better vision then Richard. Richard wanted to hire a bunch of hos Seattle buddies to come coach where as Flores brought in Jim Caldwell and several other respected coaches. Flores is a much stronger leader for this type of project anyways

Agreed but his "I wouldn't disrespect the game by tanking" statement then is proof positive he's disingenuous at best and a liar at worst. So, why believe or trust anything else he says from here on? I'd rather he'd had say "we have a plan" or "we will do the best we can with the team we have" vs. out and out lying:

"I wouldn't disrespect the game with that. Again, no, we're not (tanking). We're going to try to win every game. I think that's disrespectful to even to say that. ... It's disheartening to hear people talk about it, to even say that. For a guy who respects the game as much as the game has done for me, when people say that, it's extremely sad."

No it isn’t disingenuous. He’s telling the truth.

The players and coaches are playing to win, on the field. They just don’t have the talent or skill to do so.

The front office is playing their hand to win in coming years, not this season. Flores isn’t part of the FO. He’s the HC. And he’s prepping game plans and preparing his players to win each game.

So, he’s not lying at all.

I just don't understand the Rosen deal then...Why grab Rosen if you are dead set on picking up a new QB? Perhaps acquiring too many QBs is better than holding none!

I tend to agree with you. I didn’t want the Rosen trade. BUT I believe it was more of a situation where they bought a potentially good player at a cheaper price.

For example, they drafted Minkah in the 1st round in 2018 and he returned a 1st rounder in yesterday’s trade. A pick that might be top 15.

Rosen was drafted 1 selection ahead of Minkah in the same 2018 draft and is a QB — a more valuable position — yet the Dolphins were able to get him for only a 2nd round pick.

It’s was a trade for value. If Rosen ends up a good QB, they got him on the cheap. If he doesn’t, they didn’t invest a 1st in him and have other options to still land a franchise QB.

I believe they are just maximizing their odds and looking for value when and where they can find it.

It bothers me because we just gave up the #11 pick from a year ago - a player that this SAME GM drafted - for a lottery ticket that may or may not turn into anything of the same quality as the player we just sent away. This is not the right way to build a successful team with a winning culture.

It’s not the right way to YOU. Time will ultimately tell the truth whether it works or not.

I tend to look at it this way.

Josh Rosen and Minkah Fitzpatrick we’re drafted back-to-back in the 2018 draft. At selections 10 and 11 respectively.

Rosen plays QB, a more coveted and valued position, yet the Dolphins were able to acquire him cheaper with a 2nd round pick (#62) plus a low round pick.

Conversely, the Dolphins just traded Minkah Fitzpatrick, a DB, for almost equal value. Depending upon how Pittsburgh’s season unfolds, it might be better value or slightly worse.

Then factor in the return they got for Laremy Tunsil, who certainly was the team’s best lineman, but not an elite player to this point in time. Tunsil even admits the Dolphins got the better end of the deal.

If they can continue to make moves like these, the odds are it’s a winning formula. Cause they keep getting equal or more value than they send out.

I tend to agree with you. I didn’t want the Rosen trade. BUT I believe it was more of a situation where they bought a potentially good player at a cheaper price.

For example, they drafted Minkah in the 1st round in 2018 and he returned a 1st rounder in yesterday’s trade. A pick that might be top 15.

Rosen was drafted 1 selection ahead of Minkah in the same 2018 draft and is a QB — a more valuable position — yet the Dolphins were able to get him for only a 2nd round pick.

It’s was a trade for value. If Rosen ends up a good QB, they got him on the cheap. If he doesn’t, they didn’t invest a 1st in him and have other options to still land a franchise QB.

I believe they are just maximizing their odds and looking for value when and where they can find it.
The million dollar question is will Grier draft a qb in the first even if Rosen shows promise? He made it sound like the answer is yes

Back
Top Bottom