Chris Perkins "It’s time for Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel to produce" | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Perkins "It’s time for Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel to produce"

We have improved. Not sure any sane person would argue that. It's awesome.
For the 2021 season (Flores) the Dolphins won 8 of their last 9 games.
For the 2022 season (McD) the Dolphins won 4 of their last 9 games.
For the 2023 season (McD) the Dolphins won 5 of their last 9 games.

I must ask where exactly is the "awesome"?

For the 2021 season (Flores) the Dolphins won 8 of their last 9 games.
For the 2022 season (McD) the Dolphins won 4 of their last 9 games.
For the 2023 season (McD) the Dolphins won 5 of their last 9 games.

I must ask where exactly is the "awesome"?

Getting into the playoffs!

If this answer is over your head, well, "Tough Bananas, Julius". - LOL

Part of my struggle is every OC has assts in the booth feeding him with tendencies, areas to attack, plays the D is 'giving the O,' D player weaknesses, . . . These are given to the OC during the game and during halftime. Yet, the O has consistently left plays unused and consistently played poorer in 2H. I don't understand. Doesn't he have a group that self-scouts the O? Are the assts incapable? Is Mcd ignoring them? I have a hard time believing no one in the organization can see the consistent Football 101 mistakes. It's scary to think how good the O would be if those simple changes were made.
That's what I have been seeing

Getting into the playoffs!

If this answer is over your head, well, "Tough Bananas, Julius". - LOL
Yeah ... It's more like gradual progression than awesome though lol ... getting into the playoffs these days is still a big deal, but the bottom tier has been watered down a bit ...

Miami must win the Division in order to move the chains now IMO. Hosting a playoff game as the #1 seed would be closer to awesome. With this roster and a cleaner season on the injury front the Dolphins could attain awesome this season ... the obvious question for me is can the team field a top 5 defense?

McD has and will continue to adjust his game and the offense is already a nightmare to handle for most teams. The defense has to play complimentary ball for this to gel into consistency. 3 DC's in 3 yrs. isn't a good path to continue. He has a stronger run game and a stronger TE group ... both needed a tweak (pass catching TE) (injuries for RB's) and both areas should help the play calling. He needs a DC with balls ... does he finally have one?:shrug: Time will tell but I think he has.

It's all guessing and hope anyway ... but my outlook says the stars are aligned and if a couple of meteors bounce our way, we may be looking at awesome sooner than later. :cheers:

I think it would be asinine to even be thinking about moving out McDaniel. We have our first good coach in 25 years and we have our first identity as a team in 20 years. We have a bright coach who has given us our first top notch offense in 30 years. And we’d even think about moving on? That’s madness.

Even if you want to assume that McDaniel is on the hot seat, then the front office should be too. If McDaniel doesn’t work out, then you have to clear out the front office too. There should be zero motivation for back biting because they’d all fail and we’d need something fresh.

The defensive ends got hurt so we didn't get to see what they could do, which likely would have been significant.

Well, with Cleveland #1, NO #5 and SF #26 (3 spots below Miami) what correlation are you implying?
Talk about bottom feeding...

They were bottom 1/3rd at the number of plays they ran and finished 2nd in points per game... Mother****ers are scoring way too fast!

This whole narrative of how loaded Miami has been in the past two seasons is a bit overstated. On offense you have Hill and Waddle, but not much depth at wr and no real recieving threat at te. The oline has been decent when healthy, but even then they're not a dominate unit. Mostert has had two good seasons at the rb spot. And according to the so called experts the whole offense is led by a tiny, weak armed, injury prone qb that when healthy isn't one of the top 8 qbs in the AFC.

Sure you would like to have won a playoff game over that period. But one year you were starting a rookie udfa qb in Buffalo and the next you were playing the eventual back-to-back champions in a blizzard in KC. I would guess 90 % of the coaches in the NFL would be 0-2 if they faced those situations.
This.

Reporters like Perkins who make such statements are either click bait pimps or, if they really think this way, they don’t know what they are doing. I sometimes wonder how this guy has a job.

Miami has had catastrophic injury situations both years McDaniel has been here and he still made the playoffs. First to the QB room (only the most important position on the team). The next year the OL had the second most missed games among any team in the league and half the defense collapsed due to injury at the end of the season. Not due to coaching. If the OL blows up again this year that’s on Grier. His OL drafting acumen leaves a ton to be desired.

Not that McDaniel is perfect. He has areas to improve. But Perkins is a shallow observer. Looks at a few talented premier spots and says “we should win!” It usually takes talent going 40 deep to really win big (unless you have Patrick Mahomes - and if one wanted to nitpick - Grier should have been the one who traded up for Mahomes. We had better ammo than KC and the Chiefs had a QB who was more efficient than Tannehill in his career at that point. To say nothing of several playoff appearances and coming off a 12-4 season).

Two other problems with Perkins:

McDaniel has brought freshness and tremendous excitement to Miami in two seasons. The greatest offense we’ve had since 1984. And a more balanced attack than we ever had under the Shula / Marino era. The fan base is more energized than any in recent memory. Who does he think is going to come in and do better? We made the playoffs two years in a row for the first time in 22 years!

Second, switching coaches every 3-4 seasons is a sure recipe for the very results we have witnessed the past two decades. More mediocrity. More decades without playoff success. Here’s an idea. Keep a coach who is smart and brings a lot to the table, more than any since JJ, and see what he can do over the course of 5-6-7 yrs - not 3. 🤦‍♂️

I mean regardless of who writes it or when It is a solid take.

You are not the man unless you beat the man.

Our head coach came here supposedly being the next best thing.... genius...etc.

So he has been here a few years.
He has superstars around him on the field.

Where is the success?

If you want to argue that this is his year..... meh... okay
But there is no denying that he to date has not really achieved much

There is no denying that Tua has benefitted from this coach more than he did from Flores.

But again we have not seen this team take the next step.

So I love the stance.

I think it would be asinine to even be thinking about moving out McDaniel. We have our first good coach in 25 years and we have our first identity as a team in 20 years. We have a bright coach who has given us our first top notch offense in 30 years. And we’d even think about moving on? That’s madness.

Even if you want to assume that McDaniel is on the hot seat, then the front office should be too. If McDaniel doesn’t work out, then you have to clear out the front office too. There should be zero motivation for back biting because they’d all fail and we’d need something fresh.
Makes you wonder why any Dolphins fan wouldn't want him sticking around, oh wait-

Talk about bottom feeding...

They were bottom 1/3rd at the number of plays they ran and finished 2nd in points per game... Mother****ers are scoring way too fast!
those darn 3-play drives really hurting this stat

McDaniel has brought freshness and tremendous excitement to Miami in two seasons. The greatest offense we’ve had since 1984. And a more balanced attack than we ever had under the Shula / Marino era. The fan base is more energized than any in recent memory. Who does he think is going to come in and do better? We made the playoffs two years in a row for the first time in 22 years!

Second, switching coaches every 3-4 seasons is a sure recipe for the very results we have witnessed the past two decades. More mediocrity. More decades without playoff success. Here’s an idea. Keep a coach who is smart and brings a lot to the table, more than any since JJ, and see what he can do over the course of 5-6-7 yrs - not 3. 🤦‍♂️
I'm going to be open-minded here and say that there are two sides to this issue, and neither side has been proven right or wrong YET.

The above quoted post is one side; those who think that McDaniel is an offensive genius, making Miami's offense one of the best (and most exciting to watch) in the league. He's taken the Fins to the playoffs in his first two years, but injuries really hurt the team.

On the other side are those who see a team that racks up the stats on offense against bad teams, but rarely beats the good teams. This can't all be blamed on injuries because they lost to good teams before the injuries started and lost to good teams when some of the players returned from injury. McDaniel had no experience calling plays, which is apparent when defenses disrupt what he wants to do, and he has no answer. His in-game management isn't very good either. This is a guy who had no problem with going into the season without a back-up Center. In both years, they started out great, but after the good teams figured him out, they started losing. And, in both years they somehow remained in contention for top seeds until late in the season when they choked and lost important games. Because nearly half the league makes the playoffs, getting there is not a big deal. If they had earned a higher Seed both years, that would have been impressive. However, to have the #1 and #2 Seeds within their grasp only to end up as the #6 and #7 Seeds and lose in the first round is not a sign of success, it's embarrassing.

As for switching HCs every three or four years, that's due to Ross hiring guys with little to no experience calling plays and running their side of the ball as a Coordinator.

Hopefully, this year won't have as many injuries, and should show us which side is right. If they stay mostly healthy and start beating the top teams, win the division, and win a playoff game (or three), then McDaniel should stay. However, if they continue to lose to the top teams and fail to make the playoffs or choke away a high Seed and lose in the Wild Card round again, then McDaniel needs to go. And, if the o-line is an issue again this year and keeps them from being successful, then both McDaniel and Grier need to go, since Grier says he works with the HC on personnel, and that means that neither of them see the o-line as being very important.

The season can't start soon enough IMO, because I'm getting tired of this arguing. Whether I'm right or wrong isn't important, what's important is for the Team to identify the problem, fix it, and get back to being one of the top teams again!

Completely asinine.

Here it is again:

The first two years under McDaniel are the first time the franchise has been in the playoffs in back-to-back seasons since the 2000 and 2001 seasons. The only thing that has been a constant since then is that Miami keeps changing head coaches. No coach after Wannstedt has lasted more than 3-1/2 seasons.

You can't keep flipping the table over every 3 years and expect positive results.

Back
Top Bottom