Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Which GM pulled off the smarter deal? To be honest, I am not the expert. Chubb and Chase Young close to the same player. Both injured. I think Young has been more productive. Which GM pulled off the better deal? To be fair, until we see what they pay Chase Young, we don't fully know. It will be interesting if they turn around and pay him right away, or take the approach the Ravens did with Roquan Smith, and wait to see and make sure it works. That I think is also the smarter approach. I still find the Chubb deal problematic on many levels.

Young wasn't available last year, so it's not comparable, unless ppl think Washington would have done that same deal then, which they wouldn't.

Were we just supposed to hang out for a year and hope for the best?

I can understand thinking we overpaid, and I actually agree, but I also understand that Grier was trying to upgrade the pass rush last year when we were like 8-3, and the defense couldn't get pressure without radical amounts of blitzing and leaving our Corners flapping in the breeze.

Who was available then, and for how much matters far more in context than Chase Young.

Seems like an attempt to bash Grier more than a legitimate discussion, as we weren't choosing between the two being available at the same time.

Young wasn't available last year, so it's not comparable, unless ppl think Washington would have done that same deal then, which they wouldn't.

Were we just supposed to hang out for a year and hope for the best?

I can understand thinking we overpaid, and I actually agree, but I also understand that Grier was trying to upgrade the pass rush last year when we were like 8-3, and the defense couldn't get pressure without radical amounts of blitzing and leaving our Corners flapping in the breeze.

Who was available then, and for how much matters far more in context than Chase Young.

Seems like an attempt to bash Grier more than a legitimate discussion, as we weren't choosing between the two being available at the same time.
Thank you!!!

At first look, Chase Young. Game changer. Then I look at stats for 2023 courtesy of Fantasy Pros and hmmm.... Chubb looking as good or better. I think we paid too much but he is coming on.

Montez Sweat to the Bears for a #2 is a better comparison... he is an every down player and has had a much better career than Young.

That #2 is a high second rounder while our Chubb pick was a low first. Not much of a difference...

Which GM pulled off the smarter deal? To be honest, I am not the expert. Chubb and Chase Young close to the same player. Both injured. I think Young has been more productive. Which GM pulled off the better deal? To be fair, until we see what they pay Chase Young, we don't fully know. It will be interesting if they turn around and pay him right away, or take the approach the Ravens did with Roquan Smith, and wait to see and make sure it works. That I think is also the smarter approach. I still find the Chubb deal problematic on many levels.
Young wasn't available when Chubb was traded. I don't understand the comparison.

At first look, Chase Young. Game changer. Then I look at stats for 2023 courtesy of Fantasy Pros and hmmm.... Chubb looking as good or better. I think we paid too much but he is coming on.

Why is Young a game changer? Let me guess was picked 2nd overall. Well so was Dion Jordan. He is in year 4, there was a reason his 5th year option was declined, nobody wouldn't pick up a 5th year rookie option on a "game changer". You need to actually watch him play and evaluate on NFL play as it is year 4 at this point. He has been injury prone. Then when he actually plays he is a massive liability vs the run. He also struggles against good athletic tackles, as he pretty much has one move, speed rush outside. Chubb may not be elite (and I wasn't a fan of the trade/contract) but he is at least a very good every down edge player. Young has been an overhyped pass rusher, that can't stop the run, the next time he sets the edge on a run play will be his first.

Montez Sweat to the Bears for a #2 is a better comparison... he is an every down player and has had a much better career than Young.

That #2 is a high second rounder while our Chubb pick was a low first. Not much of a difference...
Yeah, plus the Dolphins got an already proven good to great player. Who knows who they would’ve drafted with that first round pick and how they would’ve panned out.

I think eventually in hindsight, fans are going to look at the Chubb trade favorably.

I've read where Young does not set the edge on running plays and can be lazy in his assignments. Plus, isn't he just a cheap rental for the season?

While we paid an awful lot for Chubb, he is not close to the situational player Young is.

Would I have liked to have Young on the team?

Sure, for the right price.

This. You can tell people that actually have watched Young play vs the he was picked 2nd overall crowd. Now he is still young and could turn it around but he is trending more towards bust for a 2nd overall or a situational pass rusher vs an everydown edge rusher.

I thought Chase Young was going to be TJ Watt. Boy was I wrong.

The 30th pick for Chubber (or whatever it ended up being) was a good deal for us.

Chase Young's future in SF is yet to be determined.

I understood why we made the trade last year - we were in the middle of a Super Bowl push. But even at the time, it felt like an overpay.

Of course everything is hindsight, but the trade actually looks better now then it did then - Chubb had an up and down career with injuries up to that point… similar to Chase Young in a sense, actually. There was a lot of people on here who didn’t love the trade. A lot…

Chubb got “full pop” on his extension, we didn’t get any type of discount having him early… so assuming we have the hindsight of Tua’s injury late in season and know we were going to be a first round exit… you probably don’t give up your 1st round pick… because we would have been able to give him the same amount of money we did over the off-season.

So the 1st round pick for an 8-9 game rental is very steep. He wasn’t and isn’t Von Miller level.

But it was a gamble that at the time, didn’t feel terrible - through 8 games it was the most dangerous Dolphins team I had ever watched in my 30 years of following them.

But the compensation is still steep, with or without hindsight.

At any rate, I’m just glad that Chubb has had a good year so far and hope he continues to grow on our team.

So back to OP, if there was another great pass rusher available for a 2nd or 3rd, yeah it would have been a better play… but we don’t know who else was available for trade at the time and I guess Chris Grier had the balls to go “all in” on the team last year.

Why is Young a game changer? Let me guess was picked 2nd overall. Well so was Dion Jordan. He is in year 4, there was a reason his 5th year option was declined, nobody wouldn't pick up a 5th year rookie option on a "game changer". You need to actually watch him play and evaluate on NFL play as it is year 4 at this point. He has been injury prone. Then when he actually plays he is a massive liability vs the run. He also struggles against good athletic tackles, as he pretty much has one move, speed rush outside. Chubb may not be elite (and I wasn't a fan of the trade/contract) but he is at least a very good every down edge player. Young has been an overhyped pass rusher, that can't stop the run, the next time he sets the edge on a run play will be his first.
he's really good in my eye test just on a really bad team. He has had injuries but Chubb hasn't exactly been injury-free if you have watched his play. I like Chubb and he's coming on as I originally thought just thought we over paid.

Back
Top Bottom