Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third

Montez Sweat to the Bears for a #2 is a better comparison... he is an every down player and has had a much better career than Young.

That #2 is a high second rounder while our Chubb pick was a low first. Not much of a difference...
The danger for Chicago is the trade didn’t guarantee they sign him and now he’s got them in a spot. I hate the trade for Chicago. They’re not a good team and they gave up a high pick and will have to pay a big contract. With their cap money, they could have signed players in free agency and kept the pick. It’s not like he’s going to help them get in the playoffs this year and it’s not like he‘ll be keen to re-sign in Chicago. He was tired of things in Washington and this is hardly better.

Never had a problem with the Chubb deal... and wouldn't have a problem with the Fins doing the Young deal either... Not sure I like the Niners doing that deal in the middle of a 3 games losing streak though...

Chubb has now played 16 games in Miami. Despite not having a great year with Miami last year, he's registered:

8 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 50 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, and 21 QB hits.

In Chase Young's last two and half seasons, he's played 19 games. Totals: 6.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 46 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, and 14 QB hits. So Young -- who isn't a great run defender -- hasn't even matched the pressure that Chubb has been getting. Young had a very good rookie season and since then hasn't matched it.

And FWIW, take a look at Jaelan Phillips' numbers and compare them to Young's. Phillips in 39 games has 18 sacks and 47 QB hits. Young has played in 34 games (despite being in the league a year longer) and has 14 sacks and 26 QB hits.

he's really good in my eye test just on a really bad team. He has had injuries but Chubb hasn't exactly been injury-free if you have watched his play. I like Chubb and he's coming on as I originally thought just thought we over paid.
To me it depends what you mean by the eye test. As in looks great here and there sure. It is when you focus on him every play. Makes a good/great play then disappears for 5 plays. Reminds me a lot of a Clowney just a little less physical freak and worse against the run. He has the natural talent, just don't see the desire to be great. Gets by on natural talent alone, and gives up on plays once he is blocked. Which leads to him looking great vs lesser talent and then crap against guys that can match his physical gifts.

The danger for Chicago is the trade didn’t guarantee they sign him and now he’s got them in a spot. I hate the trade for Chicago. They’re not a good team and they gave up a high pick and will have to pay a big contract. With their cap money, they could have signed players in free agency and kept the pick. It’s not like he’s going to help them get in the playoffs this year and it’s not like he‘ll be keen to re-sign in Chicago. He was tired of things in Washington and this is hardly better.
For me, this one comes down to... do they have an agreement in place? If the team was allowed to speak to Sweat's agent before the trade... and there's an agreement... it's solid.

He's going to get Chubb money. He's a very similar player.

Why is Young a game changer? Let me guess was picked 2nd overall. Well so was Dion Jordan. He is in year 4, there was a reason his 5th year option was declined, nobody wouldn't pick up a 5th year rookie option on a "game changer". You need to actually watch him play and evaluate on NFL play as it is year 4 at this point. He has been injury prone. Then when he actually plays he is a massive liability vs the run. He also struggles against good athletic tackles, as he pretty much has one move, speed rush outside. Chubb may not be elite (and I wasn't a fan of the trade/contract) but he is at least a very good every down edge player. Young has been an overhyped pass rusher, that can't stop the run, the next time he sets the edge on a run play will be his first.
I live in DC and see the Skins all the time Chase is widely thought of as a semi bust

Never had a problem with the Chubb deal... and wouldn't have a problem with the Fins doing the Young deal either... Not sure I like the Niners doing that deal in the middle of a 3 games losing streak though...
I would have a problem if the Dolphins had made the deal right now that sent a second for Young. Who's snaps would he taking -- Chubb, Phillips, or Van Ginkel? We have three very good edge rushers already. Not sure I would deal a second round pick for a guy that really would just be one of four guys rotating. As it was last week, Van Ginkel was only able to get 14 snaps. If anything, we don't have enough snaps for the three DEs that we have.

I would have a problem if the Dolphins had made the deal right now that sent a second for Young. Who's snaps would he taking -- Chubb, Phillips, or Van Ginkel? We have three very good edge rushers already. Not sure I would deal a second round pick for a guy that really would just be one of four guys rotating. As it was last week, Van Ginkel was only able to get 14 snaps. If anything, we don't have enough snaps for the three DEs that we have.
Yeah a 2nd would be too rich for me too... but a 3rd... I'd do it considering the rental...

For me, this one comes down to... do they have an agreement in place? If the team was allowed to speak to Sweat's agent before the trade... and there's an agreement... it's solid.

He's going to get Chubb money. He's a very similar player.
I live near Chicago and Bears fans have never been more disappointed in an organization than they are now. More and more are believing that Fields is a bust, that management can't build and team, and the coaching staff can't coach. Hard to argue with that. They got a boatload in trade for the #1 pick, had a **** ton of cap money to spend, and....they are horrid. The trading of what turned out to be the 32nd pick for Claypool and then not less than a year later flipped him to the Dolphins to basically move up a few picks late in the draft.....what a horrible miscalculation.

I live in DC and see the Skins all the time Chase is widely thought of as a semi bust
I watched him a ton in college as well. I was very leary of him, as a top 5 guy. Great natural talent, low motor/desire to be great. Even in college he would crush the lesser competition (were most his stats cane from) and struggle vs top end talent. Go watch his game vs Michigan his last year, he got pancakes like 3/4 times at least in that game alone. I am still sticking to my prediction of a poor man's version of Clowney (not as big a physical freak).

Yeah a 2nd would be too rich for me too... but a 3rd... I'd do it considering the rental...
Okay, just saw it was a 3rd and not a second. From a Dolphins perspective, I still wouldn't have offered that because it's not a position of need.

To me it depends what you mean by the eye test. As in looks great here and there sure. It is when you focus on him every play. Makes a good/great play then disappears for 5 plays. Reminds me a lot of a Clowney just a little less physical freak and worse against the run. He has the natural talent, just don't see the desire to be great. Gets by on natural talent alone, and gives up on plays once he is blocked. Which leads to him looking great vs lesser talent and then crap against guys that can match his physical gifts.
true, listen I'm no Chase Young banner waiver although he does wreck some drives and is tough to block but seems disinterested at times as you alluded to. I also like Chubb just wanted Roquan for our D. I think he wrecks games and has more upside than Chubb. That being said, I am happy that Chubb is flourishing and look forward to him making some big plays. If he disappears on Sun I'll be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom