Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third

We'll see who made the best trade by year's end. Two injury-prone players who haven't lived up to their draft hype each with 5 sacks on the season comparable TFL and QB hits. Except 1 was traded for a 1st and given top 5 money despite not being a top 5 edge rusher and the other was traded for a 3rd and no huge contract yet.

Young wasn't available last year, so it's not comparable, unless ppl think Washington would have done that same deal then, which they wouldn't.

Were we just supposed to hang out for a year and hope for the best?

I can understand thinking we overpaid, and I actually agree, but I also understand that Grier was trying to upgrade the pass rush last year when we were like 8-3, and the defense couldn't get pressure without radical amounts of blitzing and leaving our Corners flapping in the breeze.

Who was available then, and for how much matters far more in context than Chase Young.

Seems like an attempt to bash Grier more than a legitimate discussion, as we weren't choosing between the two being available at the same time.
although I am bashing grier, i disagree with your construct. the easy one first, chubb did not even help last year, so if that was what is was about, grier got it badly wrong. further, my guess is we bid against ourselves for chubb. should have told denver take a 3rd round pick or leave it. chubb was not that highly thought of around the nfl. he was often hurt, not very productive besides his first year, and was going to get a new deal. we blew it. just not savvy on this one. further could have potentially waited it out and signed him in the offseason, without the first rounder. so could argue we gave up the first rounder for 8 worthless games from him.

Okay, just saw it was a 3rd and not a second. From a Dolphins perspective, I still wouldn't have offered that because it's not a position of need.
We needed to keep some powder for the draft. I’m fine w not making any moves

Which GM pulled off the smarter deal? To be honest, I am not the expert. Chubb and Chase Young close to the same player. Both injured. I think Young has been more productive. Which GM pulled off the better deal? To be fair, until we see what they pay Chase Young, we don't fully know. It will be interesting if they turn around and pay him right away, or take the approach the Ravens did with Roquan Smith, and wait to see and make sure it works. That I think is also the smarter approach. I still find the Chubb deal problematic on many levels.
Have you seen Young play lately? He nowhere near as explosive as he once was. Can he get it back? Maybe. There’s a reason why he only cost a 3rd. Chubb has been playing his best ball lately.

Chase Young wins the name ID competition. Good for him.

This. You can tell people that actually have watched Young play vs the he was picked 2nd overall crowd. Now he is still young and could turn it around but he is trending more towards bust for a 2nd overall or a situational pass rusher vs an everydown edge rusher.

I agree, as he hasn’t played hardly at all the past 2 seasons. So nobody could watch him play.

But his lone full season, his rookie year, he was good. He made lots of game impacting plays thus won Defensive ROY and was a pro bowler.

This season is only the 2nd full season he’s played (should he be able to remain healthy). And he’s got 5 sacks in 6 games played, which is good production so far.

So the “bust” narrative is unwarranted. He’s been productive when healthy. If he does become a bust it’ll likely be because of availability, not talent or production.

Although the patellar injury was pretty significant and is still something he has to work back from. Something tells me he might just flourish playing alongside Bosa and that front 7, while he continues to work himself back to where he was.

And if he does, the naysayers will need to shut it.

I agree, as he hasn’t played hardly at all the past 2 seasons. So nobody could watch him play.

But his lone full season, his rookie year, he was good. He made lots of game impacting plays thus won Defensive ROY and was a pro bowler.

This season is only the 2nd full season he’s played (should he be able to remain healthy). And he’s got 5 sacks in 6 games played, which is good production so far.

So the “bust” narrative is unwarranted. He’s been productive when healthy. If he does become a bust it’ll likely be because of availability, not talent or production.

Although the patellar injury was pretty significant and is still something he has to work back from. Something tells me he might just flourish playing alongside Bosa and that front 7, while he continues to work himself back to where he was.

Yes he is young and could still turn it around.

Also when I said bust, I didn't mean like total bust/out the league type bust. But more of not living up to the hype of a game changing freak edge rusher. Kinda like Clowney, were he has been solid/good, he never lived up to the hype of their draft status.

We'll see who made the best trade by year's end. Two injury-prone players who haven't lived up to their draft hype each with 5 sacks on the season comparable TFL and QB hits. Except 1 was traded for a 1st and given top 5 money despite not being a top 5 edge rusher and the other was traded for a 3rd and no huge contract yet.
Slight exaggeration... Chubb comes in at #7. (And 8 and 9 are close). The next couple of contracts will push him out of the top 10.

Plus... Chubb is MUCH better against the run. Much.

so far, it's looking like we've overpaid for Chubb. But he's turning it on lately and the addition of Ramsey + Needham should help the line get more coverage sacks. But Chubb does play the run well, which we need badly.

I think we all get taken in by Young’s draft status. Could he suddenly explode playing with Bosa? Well, let’s not forget that he’s leaving a team where he played with Sweat, Payne, and Allen along the defensive line. That’s a pretty solid group.

He had an impressive rookie season and hasn’t been overly relevant since, mainly due to injuries. It is almost a risk-free move for the Niners because they know they are due multiple 3rd round picks for losing a coach, a front office member, and McGlinchey.

I’ve never been disappointed with the Chubb trade. We had to sign him to an extension after giving up the draft pick. Did we overpay? Only time will tell and we can’t make that determination yet.

yes. was more or less the same story with Chubb. pretty similar profiles to both

The way Chubb is playing, you have to be happy Miami made that deal. At the time, I thought the Dolphins overpaid. A 2nd and a 4th would have made me feel better. But it has worked out well for the team.

He’s missed 22 games last 2 years prior to this one is probably why. Had a great rookie year then fell off.

It’s crazy to me how many of you think renting Chubb for 9 games for a 1st round pick was a good value.

Especially when you weigh the lack of relative additional success.

Nothing to do with Chase Young or Sweat or whoever. Given the hindsight we have now, no one should think the deal on the surface is a good one. The contract? It’s fine… but plus a 1st… too rich.

Which GM pulled off the smarter deal? To be honest, I am not the expert. Chubb and Chase Young close to the same player. Both injured. I think Young has been more productive. Which GM pulled off the better deal? To be fair, until we see what they pay Chase Young, we don't fully know. It will be interesting if they turn around and pay him right away, or take the approach the Ravens did with Roquan Smith, and wait to see and make sure it works. That I think is also the smarter approach. I still find the Chubb deal problematic on many levels.
I suggest we revisit this convo at the end of the season…

Back
Top Bottom