Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third

I suggest we revisit this convo at the end of the season…
It’s impossible to revisit and thinking “1st round pick for 8-10 games is a better deal than a 3rd round pick for 8-10 games”.

What’s going to change by the end of the season? First round picks are going to be less value than 3rd round picks somehow?

It’s impossible to revisit and thinking “1st round pick for 8-10 games is a better deal than a 3rd round pick for 8-10 games”.

What’s going to change by the end of the season? First round picks are going to be less value than 3rd round picks somehow?
His play has been picking up the past few games. Jalen Ramsey is back which will solidify the secondary and the coverage on the backend which hopefully will lead to more time for pass rush to get to opposing QB’s. If at the end of the year, we end up making a deep run into the playoffs, and the defense is a top 10 defense, and Bradley Chubb plays well and contributes significantly to that, you might feel differently.

At the end of the day if the team wins it will always be justifiable. Its only an argument when they lose. If this team goes to the super bowl with Chubb playing a part noone is going to care that hes overpaid and they gave up too much in the trade. Its all worth it.

I'll never argue with teams in contention making deals like the Chubb trade or the Chase Young one. You have a narrow window to compete and you might as well take full advantage of it. I'm surprised the league hasn't gone the direction of the NBA where they're trading away picks 5 years from now in order to win now. Who cares about a little dead money or the dreams of some kid's potential if you're lifting a trophy?

Its trades like the one the Bear's made for Sweat that make no sense.

Which GM pulled off the smarter deal? To be honest, I am not the expert. Chubb and Chase Young close to the same player. Both injured. I think Young has been more productive. Which GM pulled off the better deal? To be fair, until we see what they pay Chase Young, we don't fully know. It will be interesting if they turn around and pay him right away, or take the approach the Ravens did with Roquan Smith, and wait to see and make sure it works. That I think is also the smarter approach. I still find the Chubb deal problematic on many levels.
Young has some very serious knee problems which is not going to age well.

Are we talking Chase Young, the draft prospect who was drafted first overall, or Chase Young as actually exists as an NFL player? Because the reality of the player that he is and what people think of him possibly being when drafted are two different things.

If you have to ask who got the better deal, ask yourself this: if all SF had to give up for him was a 3rd, why weren’t other teams outbidding them?

I struggle to understand the angst and gnashing of teeth over trading a 1st for Bradley Chubb. He is having a good season and is a key part of the Vic Fangio Defense. The Draft pick exchanged is effectively a sunk cost. The deal was done and we have moved on. We should be happy that we have a really good player and he is playing at a high level. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from now hypothesizing if we hadn't acquired him. Some of you seem to prefer Draft picks more than you like good players who are contributing to Dolphin success.

His play has been picking up the past few games. Jalen Ramsey is back which will solidify the secondary and the coverage on the backend which hopefully will lead to more time for pass rush to get to opposing QB’s. If at the end of the year, we end up making a deep run into the playoffs, and the defense is a top 10 defense, and Bradley Chubb plays well and contributes significantly to that, you might feel differently.
Don’t misunderstand me or the situation.

I’m fine with Chubb and I like the player more than most did when he wasn’t playing THIS well.

It changes nothing about a 1st round pick for an 8 game rental in 2022 that ended with a first round playoff exit.

You can take one angle - he was part of the reason we made the playoffs and kept it close in that playoff game and to you THAT is worth the 1st round pick… I wouldn’t agree with you… but you could take that angle.

But it doesn’t have anything to do with whether I like the player or my feelings toward him or not. It was a steep overpay because of a big balls gamble. It has nothing to do with him on this roster this year as we would have paid him this same money in this offseason if we wanted to.

Don’t misunderstand me or the situation.

I’m fine with Chubb and I like the player more than most did when he wasn’t playing THIS well.

It changes nothing about a 1st round pick for an 8 game rental in 2022 that ended with a first round playoff exit.

You can take one angle - he was part of the reason we made the playoffs and kept it close in that playoff game and to you THAT is worth the 1st round pick… I wouldn’t agree with you… but you could take that angle.

But it doesn’t have anything to do with whether I like the player or my feelings toward him or not. It was a steep overpay because of a big balls gamble. It has nothing to do with him on this roster this year as we would have paid him this same money in this offseason if we wanted to.
I don’t understand the “8-game rental” part of your analysis. It was pretty obvious that the Dolphins never viewed it as a rental, considering they immediately signed Chubb to an extension. It was clear that the extension was integral to the trade.

I don’t understand the “8-game rental” part of your analysis. It was pretty obvious that the Dolphins never viewed it as a rental, considering they immediately signed Chubb to an extension. It was clear that the extension was integral to the trade.
Well to me it’s simple - did we get him for a DISCOUNT because we traded the 1st round pick? Would we agree we didn’t get one, right?

So if we did NOT trade for him last season… he would have been a free agent THIS summer. We could have given him this same contract and kept our 1st round pick, then, right?

That’s why it’s a 9 game rental. It’s a Rams and Von Miller type move. Incredible gamble that if you’re right, makes you look brilliant… but with hindsight and a rookie coach, was maybe not a smart move.

I’ll repeat again, this is not a condemnation of the player or the contract, just the trade itself.

Last edited:
Well to me it’s simple - did we get him for a DISCOUNT because we traded the 1st round pick? Would we agree we didn’t get one, right?

So if we did NOT trade for him last season… he would have been a free agent THIS summer. We could have given him this same contract and kept our 1st round pick, then, right?

That’s why it’s a 9 game rental. It’s a Rams and Von Miller type move.
You assume we would be able to sign him as a free agent, and for the same price.

You assume we would be able to sign him as a free agent, and for the same price.
Well I stated a couple times - you think he took a below market deal on that extension? That would be the only legitimate argument anyone could make… if you find that to be true, anyways.

Edit: there is only 7 edge players with higher salaries than Chubb. Doesn’t look like he took a discount of any sort. But I guess you could argue otherwise. I wouldn’t agree, but hey, that’s life.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/edge/

Well I stated a couple times - you think he took a below market deal on that extension? That would be the only legitimate argument anyone could make… if you find that to be true, anyways.

Edit: there is only 7 edge players with higher salaries than Chubb. Doesn’t look like he took a discount of any sort. But I guess you could argue otherwise. I wouldn’t agree, but hey, that’s life.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/edge/
Yeah exactly. It's a bit like arguing over spilled milk. Doesn't change the fact that the milk is spilled.

I could have had cereal today if I didn't spill the milk. Oh well I will have toast instead. Life goes on.

That’s why it’s a 9 game rental. It’s a Rams and Von Miller type move. Incredible gamble that if you’re right, makes you look brilliant… but with hindsight and a rookie coach, was maybe not a smart move.

I’ll repeat again, this is not a condemnation of the player or the contract, just the trade itself.
Except this view argues even more for the point that it wasn’t for an 8-game rental. If this is your view, we traded a first to guarantee that we were able to sign him as a free agent without competition and got 8 extra games as a bonus.

Except this view argues even more for the point that it wasn’t for an 8-game rental. If this is your view, we traded a first to guarantee that we were able to sign him as a free agent without competition and got 8 extra games as a bonus.
No, that’s not the thought process when you are paying top end rates for a future free agent though…

The 1st round pick is NOT for that reason, no GM would say that, either. It was for the the gamble that we are gonna run the table THAT year.

As a fan, I found it exciting we made the move. We were going all in on the year is what is being conveyed. But cooler heads would have said we probably are NOT going to the Super Bowl and we may struggle down the stretch with rookie coach and Tua injury. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

Yeah exactly. It's a bit like arguing over spilled milk. Doesn't change the fact that the milk is spilled.

I could have had cereal today if I didn't spill the milk. Oh well I will have toast instead. Life goes on.
Yeah I mean this whole thread is literally a topic on spilt milk, though. Hah

Back
Top Bottom