Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chubb For A First And A Massive Contract, Chase Young For A Third

No, that’s not the thought process when you are paying top end rates for a future free agent though…

The 1st round pick is NOT for that reason, no GM would say that, either. It was for the the gamble that we are gonna run the table THAT year.

As a fan, I found it exciting we made the move. We were going all in on the year is what is being conveyed. But cooler heads would have said we probably are NOT going to the Super Bowl and we may struggle down the stretch with rookie coach and Tua injury. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

Yeah I mean this whole thread is literally a topic on spilt milk, though. Hah
My reply was kinda sarcastic, but still, we did not gamble on running the table last year. If that was the case, we don’t sign sign him to an immediate extension. This was the front office believing that they were acquiring a cornerstone of the defense for the next few seasons. I don’t know how you can view this any other way.

I don’t understand the “8-game rental” part of your analysis. It was pretty obvious that the Dolphins never viewed it as a rental, considering they immediately signed Chubb to an extension. It was clear that the extension was integral to the trade.
the flaw in your logic is they could have signed him in the offseason as a free agent and not given up the pick

the flaw in your logic is they could have signed him in the offseason as a free agent and not given up the pick
The flaw.in your logic is we would have been the high bidder or he would have picked Miami. My my stupid hypotheticals are fun.

I struggle to understand the angst and gnashing of teeth over trading a 1st for Bradley Chubb. He is having a good season and is a key part of the Vic Fangio Defense. The Draft pick exchanged is effectively a sunk cost. The deal was done and we have moved on. We should be happy that we have a really good player and he is playing at a high level. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from now hypothesizing if we hadn't acquired him. Some of you seem to prefer Draft picks more than you like good players who are contributing to Dolphin success.
I love draft picks but I agree with your point. If we had a drafted player who is having the season/impact which Chub is having this year we would all be thrilled. The only differences are his financial impact on the Cap and he is a couple years older than a rookie would be. I don't fault Grier for this move and it seems to be improving and adding value.

The flaw.in your logic is we would have been the high bidder or he would have picked Miami. My my stupid hypotheticals are fun.

So I guess we would have been the only bidders. Is that your logic?

He’s the 7th highest paid edge in the entire NFL. We paid full price. I imagine we would have got him either way… but yeah, we’ll never know.

I love draft picks but I agree with your point. If we had a drafted player who is having the season/impact which Chub is having this year we would all be thrilled. The only differences are his financial impact on the Cap and he is a couple years older than a rookie would be. I don't fault Grier for this move and it seems to be improving and adding value.

I didn’t fault him for the move last season - it was an all-in big balls move. Unfortunately, it didn’t move the needle enough to change anything trajectory wise for last season. But yeah, he’s a very good player who I am glad to have.

Thing is, we are in a thread that is discussing in hindsight and a 1st round pick for a 8-9 game rental of nearly any player is very steep. I’m not losing sleep over it, just adding to this meaningless discussion while we pass the time until game time.

In order to trade for Chubb, Miami had to promise something for a contract for him to agree to the trade for both parties. At that point it's no longer an 8 game rental, but a low first round pick for a very good, seasoned, and complete edge player who is nothing like Young with his knee problems and lack of effort against the run. One can insist that it was an 8 game rental but the process indicates it was a decent trade albeit with a full second contract. He would have probably been paid more in FA, period. My two cents...

He would have probably been paid more in FA, period. My two cents...
The rest of the post is meaningless when this was your entire post so I wanted to address this… he’s the 7th highest paid edge in the NFL.

You think he would have got more than that? He would have been paid top3? With his past up and down career?

Cause that’s really the only part that would make this more than a 8-9 game rental - and I would fully disagree that he took a pay cut with the contract he got.

Just saw this thread and see yet another WHAT IF? Who here is excited for the Chiefs game this week and if we win will our first thought be what if we had not given so much up for Chubb and had gotten Young for less?

This Dolphins team is a MACHINE and will win so many games this year.....will it be enough to satiate us all ....I Pray it is

What if it is not? What if it is?

Live for what is now and in front of us!

Young has health issues... Chubb does not.

So we are not comparing apples to apples here.

The rest of the post is meaningless when this was your entire post so I wanted to address this… he’s the 7th highest paid edge in the NFL.

You think he would have got more than that? He would have been paid top3? With his past up and down career?

Cause that’s really the only part that would make this more than a 8-9 game rental - and I would fully disagree that he took a pay cut with the contract he got.
I do. I also think Chase Young will get a big deal even though neither have really been that outstanding, think Armstead here. Edge is one of the top 5 positions in the NFL, a potential game changing position. The second contract is where you go big, you may boom or bust but it’s where you get paid. How often have we seen a team go all in only to get a dog? It does not happen all the time, just too often for my taste.

He absolutely would have paid. Bidding wars drive price up. We see players that haven't even come close to Chubb's production getting overpaid every year.

I do. I also think Chase Young will get a big deal even though neither have really been that outstanding, think Armstead here. Edge is one of the top 5 positions in the NFL, a potential game changing position. The second contract is where you go big, you may boom or bust but it’s where you get paid. How often have we seen a team go all in only to get a dog? It does not happen all the time, just too often for my taste.
Yeah I mean if you take a hard stance that he would have gotten top 3 money then we would agree to disagree but we’d never know. I just don’t see him getting Bosa or Watt money without the production. But again, we’d never know… and if you’re right, your point would be valid.

Get off Chubbs back ffs. He didn't make the trade. He is here every week wearing our uniform.

does this conversation hurt your feelings? I don’t know how many of my posts mention I like Chubb the player and I don’t even mind his contract. Is that okay with you? lol.

He absolutely would have paid. Bidding wars drive price up. We see players that haven't even come close to Chubb's production getting overpaid every year.

As I said with first guy above, he is getting paid very handsomely… the 6 players ahead of him are probably considered definitively better (I’d argue Bosa with Chargers is a bad deal cause of his injuries but that’s it). But again, we wouldn’t know.

Back
Top Bottom