Colts lose to Houston! Now next week matters | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colts lose to Houston! Now next week matters

I'm with Bluehaze. I'd rather throw some youngsters into the fire and see how they preform.

I'm actually talking about evaluating our Vet's with so many unsigned FA's going into next year we need to be absolutely positively certain of which we re-sign and which we let go. I dont want any slackers getting re-signed due to looking great against the Colts 3rd stringers! Call it the Chambers effect, ala 1 miraculous game against Buffalo somehow giving folks the impression that we have an elite WR on this team.

Sorry Metal Panda. How selfish of the Miami Dolphins. Let's play football games to entertain you, nevermind the future of the organization. You're much more important. :rolleyes2

This was one of the silliest things I've ever read. Not to mention the fact that in the 70's, the attitude above would have likely been chastised.

Yes, if Miami plays their starters and attempts to win, they will be detracting from their future, because randomly inserting young players who haven't seen as much as a snap all season will open the Pandora's box and open the coaching staff's eyes to 3 or 4 unheralded diamonds in the rough who will be Pro Bowlers for years to come. How selfish of me to actually want to see my team attempt to win!

I'm sorry I ever questioned the line of thinking above...clearly if Miami plays their starters and attempts to win the game, they are sacrificing their future and the ability to discover their savior.

(Just like we learned so much about Sage Rosenfels when he started against Baltimore in week 17).

I understand the logic of resting players for the playoffs. Not just giving players who haven't earned playing time playing time.

I'm actually talking about evaluating our Vet's with so many unsigned FA's going into next year we need to be absolutely positively certain of which we re-sign and which we let go. I dont want any slackers getting re-signed due to looking great against the Colts 3rd stringers! Call it the Chambers effect, ala 1 miraculous game against Buffalo somehow giving folks the impression that we have an elite WR on this team.
He had an unbelievable second half to that season last year and he is a #1 receiver we just don't have a quarterback that can get the ball to him on a consistent basis.

Then I'm not wit cha. I'd rather see some Evans, Vickerson, more Roth, some Vick, all Lemon, a lot of Hagan, an overdose of Allen, is Berger ready to go? These guys should get time for evaluation and experience.

He had an unbelievable second half to that season last year and he is a #1 receiver we just don't have a quarterback that can get the ball to him on a consistent basis.

No, elite receivers play at an elite level regardless. Chambers is not one, and sometimes it is debatable whether he is a #1. He doesn't come back to the ball to make a play if a DB has a chance at picking it, and drops a lot of key passes (sure TO does that too but TO also puts up yardage). Chambers had half a great season last year, and half a mediocre one.

Chad Johnson was putting up numbers when Kitna threw to him, even before the upgrade Carson Palmer took over. Andre Johnson has been a probowler in Houston despite David Carr's mediocrity. Anquan Boldin put up 1300 yards with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown throwing to him in 2003.

Chris just isn't that type of WR.

Then I'm not wit cha. I'd rather see some Evans, Vickerson, more Roth, some Vick, all Lemon, a lot of Hagan, an overdose of Allen, is Berger ready to go? These guys should get time for evaluation and experience.

then that should have started weeks ago. two games won't tell us squat. Not that I ever believed in just throwing raw talent into games. Maybe in garbage time, but not just starting them. It basically tells the player "you won a starting job because you're a rookie and we know nothing about you."

This was one of the silliest things I've ever read. Not to mention the fact that in the 70's, the attitude above would have likely been chastised.

Yes, if Miami plays their starters and attempts to win, they will be detracting from their future, because randomly inserting young players who haven't seen as much as a snap all season will open the Pandora's box and open the coaching staff's eyes to 3 or 4 unheralded diamonds in the rough who will be Pro Bowlers for years to come. How selfish of me to actually want to see my team attempt to win!

I'm sorry I ever questioned the line of thinking above...clearly if Miami plays their starters and attempts to win the game, they are sacrificing their future and the ability to discover their savior.

(Just like we learned so much about Sage Rosenfels when he started against Baltimore in week 17).

I understand the logic of resting players for the playoffs. Not just giving players who haven't earned playing time playing time.

Get out of the 70s brotha. It's the 21 century and all about business now. It might have lost some of the soul but if we don't play ball we're gonna lose a lot more than that. Are the chances of finding a diamond in the rough in the last two games of the season ridiculous? Absolutely. Impossible? No. You're not interested in what Fred Evans can do against starting offensive linemen? How about Derek Hagan? Are you not in the least bit interested on how he might preform against the oppossing #1 DB? You don't want to see what, if infact anything, Cleo Lemon has to offer? Because we did learn about Rosenfels my friend. We learned the guy is a #3 NFL QB at best. And winning with our starters isn't a guarantee. Would we have a better chance with Harrington? I believe so. I also believed Dallas would have a better chance with Bledsoe and that Culepper was the better offseason choice. Wrong on both accounts. Is it so horrible to hope that Lemon could defy the odds? What's there to lose? Pride? You're absolurely right brotha. My mistake. End of argument. You are correct. My pride is going to be a thousand times better at 8-8 than it would be at 6-10. My mistake. I'm ridiculous.

you guys are wishy washy

the main reason we will not play our young players in a meaningless game for us is because saban would be strung up if one of them sustained a freak career ending injury. saban does not have to play players to evaluate them he knows what he has!!!

Get out of the 70s brotha. It's the 21 century and all about business now. It might have lost some of the soul but if we don't play ball we're gonna lose a lot more than that. Are the chances of finding a diamond in the rough in the last two years of the game ridiculous. Absolutely. Impossible? No. You're not interested in what Fred Evans can do against a starting offensive linemen? How Derek Hagan? Are you not in the least bit interested how him might preform against the oppossing #1 DB? You don't want to see what, if infact anything, Cleo Lemon has to offer? Because we did learn about Rosenfels my friend. We learned the guy is a #3 NFL QB at best. And winning with our starters isn't a guarantee. Would we have a better chance with Harrington? I believe so. I also believed Dallas would have a better chance with Bledsoe. Romo proved me wrong. Is it so horrible to hope that Lemon could do the same? What's there to lose? Pride? You're absolurely right brotha. My mistake. End of argument. You are correct. My pride is going to be a tousand times better at 8-8 than it would be at 6-10. My mistake. I'm ridiculous.

We learned that about Rosenfels in one game? The hell we did. We also saw him take over two games as a backup the next season.

Romo had learned the system for about 3 years and was showing Parcells in practice that he had the capability of possibly taking over. It appears Lemon isn't showing that to Saban, or he'd be out there. Like the Orlando Magic stated when questioned why they weren't playing Reece Gaines, you don't just give people playing time for nothing, you give it to them because they've showed you effort and skill and give you reason to. Not just randomly inserting players into the lineup.

I'm interested in the Dolphins doing whatever is necessary to win, and I'm not under the false guise that 1-2 games will teach us much of anything as far as evaluations go. Not to mention the coaches are seeing what these players can do in practice and many of them have been getting some playing time, even if not 'starting'. It would be one thing if we were a 3-11 team, and we had started doing that midseason. What's the point now, this late in the year?

Moreso, I take exception to the idea that a fan is "selfish" for wanting his team to do whatever it takes to win. A fan could easily say the same about somebody who just wants Miami to play russian roulette with its team and throw anybody out there on the field.

Sure, we can throw the players in there more than we would at other times of the season, since our year is over, but why do we have to START them or give them excessive playing time if they haven't earned it?

This reminds me of the argument back in 2003 whether Miami should start Ricky Williams or not in week 17. Then he wound up retiring anyway!

We learned that about Rosenfels in one game? The hell we did. We also saw him take over two games as a backup the next season.

Romo had learned the system for about 3 years and was showing Parcells in practice that he had the capability of possibly taking over. It appears Lemon isn't showing that to Saban, or he'd be out there. Like the Orlando Magic stated when questioned why they weren't playing Reece Gaines, you don't just give people playing time for nothing, you give it to them because they've showed you effort and skill and give you reason to. Not just randomly inserting players into the lineup.

I'm interested in the Dolphins doing whatever is necessary to win, and I'm not under the false guise that 1-2 games will teach us much of anything as far as evaluations go. Not to mention the coaches are seeing what these players can do in practice and many of them have been getting some playing time, even if not 'starting'. It would be one thing if we were a 3-11 team, and we had started doing that midseason. What's the point now, this late in the year?

Moreso, I take exception to the idea that a fan is "selfish" for wanting his team to do whatever it takes to win. A fan could easily say the same about somebody who just wants Miami to play russian roulette with its team and throw anybody out there on the field.

Sure, we can throw the players in there more than we would at other times of the season, since our year is over, but why do we have to START them or give them excessive playing time if they haven't earned it?

This reminds me of the argument back in 2003 whether Miami should start Ricky Williams or not in week 17. Then he wound up retiring anyway!

Like it took Saban 6 weeks after being showed over and over in practice and on the field that Yeremiah Bell deserved a chance to start? And even then Tillman had to have the worst game of his career prior to Saban awarding Bell the start. How about Fred Evans in pre-season? Did he not earn a chance to start? You're so naive guy. You think coaches hand over starts because the player deserves it? You think Parcells would have given Romo a shot if Bledsoe wasn't playing horrendous, because Romo DESERVED it? Sure he would have. Like Saban gave Harrington the start instead of Culpepper even after an entire TC, 4 preseason games, and 4 regular season games. Even then, did Harrington EARN his start or did Culpepper lose it? Back ups don't earn a gosh darn thing. Starters are starters until they lose their job. And IMO, Harrington has lost his starting job, Chris Chambers has lost his starting job, Traylor is the man but the guy is 37 years old, you think he wants or needs to jeopardize w/e future he has left for 8-8? Get out of town.

No, elite receivers play at an elite level regardless. Chambers is not one, and sometimes it is debatable whether he is a #1. He doesn't come back to the ball to make a play if a DB has a chance at picking it, and drops a lot of key passes (sure TO does that too but TO also puts up yardage). Chambers had half a great season last year, and half a mediocre one.

Chad Johnson was putting up numbers when Kitna threw to him, even before the upgrade Carson Palmer took over. Andre Johnson has been a probowler in Houston despite David Carr's mediocrity. Anquan Boldin put up 1300 yards with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown throwing to him in 2003.

Chris just isn't that type of WR.
Those quarterbacks throw the ball to their key receivers that doesn't happen when Harrington is at the helm he is always looking for Marty Booker or Wes Welker and he needs to thrwo the ball to Chambers and actually gve him a chance to catch it which Harrington does not do.

Those quarterbacks throw the ball to their key receivers that doesn't happen when Harrington is at the helm he is always looking for Marty Booker or Wes Welker and he needs to thrwo the ball to Chambers and actually gve him a chance to catch it which Harrington does not do.

Half the time Chambers isn't even open. That could be one reason nobody throws to him.

Back
Top Bottom