Commentary: Zach is Still the Man | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Zach is Still the Man

LarryFinFan said:
A very good thought InFins...and as the rest of these posts indicate...ZT has been a player who took advantage of what was thrown at him...albeit more from hard work and being an overachiever, rather than physical ability. If he "learns these new tricks" that Saban installs and if other teams don't game plan for him like they have in the past...it could get very interesting...like a Tedy Bruschi type that is smaller and slower...
What is with this constant reference to slow? His 40 time?
Please Zach gets sideline to sideline as fast as anyone in the league. You never see a sweep or a reverse hit the edges without Zach stuffing it. He also is very capable in pass coverage. I have seen him stride for stride with slot WRs and TE's.

You guys are off on this. He is not sprinter speed, but he is football quick which is what matters.

fin-atic said:
You know, I love how everyone keeps saying Zach can be game planned for and the Jets do it, and blah, blah, blah.
Yet he still dominates his position EVEN though they game plan for him. Because they are shifting protections against Zach they are unable to double up the DE positions and Jason Taylor then has big games. The fact that he is so dominant that teams HAVE to game plan for him says something. He is a constant force. His peers know it and that is why he goes to the Pro Bowl frequently. If it was as simple as just "Game Plan" for him then he would not have any success. Don't you think all the teams look at the Jets film and others and try to do the same? They just can't stop him.

As far as how he fits Saban's shceme, how the heck do any of you know what Saban's scheme will be, what Saban's idea of a prototypical LB is? You can't know.

I think the skills that make Zach what he is, intelligence, recognition, physical, great tackler, passion, are what you look for in any LB. And I think they will not change with the scheme nor will his effectiveness.

The point of my article is that before you "nay sayers" speculate that you know what Saban thinks and will do,and before you assume Zach won't be able to meet it, I say he deserves the full support of the fans to be given the chance to prove it before he is judged. Zach has beat the odds at every turn. I think he will do it again.

Totally agree with you on this. Sometimes I think people give Zach flak for being the professional he is. Maybe if he talked more smack like Ray Lewis, people would finally give him respect? I often hear that he is "workmanlike" or just not "intense" enough. Ray Lewis does some things better than Zach, but has had plenty of injury problems himself, and his total productivity is not overwhelmingly higher than Zachs...the only thing Ray Ray does substantially better than Zach is run his mouth :shakeno: Only Dolphin's fans could look at arguably the best MLB playing today (certainly top 3) and gripe about his intensity :rolleyes:

No one knows Saban's scheme, so there is no reason to speculate that Zach will not fit into it. Furthermore, Zach is smart, so he will learn the new defensive wrinkles quickly. If Saban is so great a coach, then don't you think he will have new and creative ways to utilize Zach's strengths and help with his weaknesses? When Bates got a little more creative last year, I noticed IMPROVEMENT from Zach, not decline. Could it be that Saban's system is just exactly what Zach needs to improve and extend his career? Last year Zach had more tackles without his big DL's in the middle, something Zach haters have said was impossible. Why don't you wait for the season to see how Zach does...you might see a renewed player with skill sets you never knew existed.

fin-atic said:
You know, I love how everyone keeps saying Zach can be game planned for and the Jets do it, and blah, blah, blah.
Yet he still dominates his position EVEN though they game plan for him. Because they are shifting protections against Zach they are unable to double up the DE positions and Jason Taylor then has big games. The fact that he is so dominant that teams HAVE to game plan for him says something. He is a constant force. His peers know it and that is why he goes to the Pro Bowl frequently. If it was as simple as just "Game Plan" for him then he would not have any success. Don't you think all the teams look at the Jets film and others and try to do the same? They just can't stop him.

As far as how he fits Saban's shceme, how the heck do any of you know what Saban's scheme will be, what Saban's idea of a prototypical LB is? You can't know.

I think the skills that make Zach what he is, intelligence, recognition, physical, great tackler, passion, are what you look for in any LB. And I think they will not change with the scheme nor will his effectiveness.

The point of my article is that before you "nay sayers" speculate that you know what Saban thinks and will do,and before you assume Zach won't be able to meet it, I say he deserves the full support of the fans to be given the chance to prove it before he is judged. Zach has beat the odds at every turn. I think he will do it again.
  • ZT is not a dominate player, he can be handled by one blocker.
  • They game plan for him not because he is a force but because he is the heart of the defensive scheme.
  • ZT is stopped often, he does not have the ability to take a game over.
  • Saban has specific assets for each position, ZT does not fit Sabans idea, doesn't mean he can't play.
  • I wish ZT more success.
This is typical of the hype that surrounds ZT, the guy is a very good player. I think many people can identify with ZT, but the fact is he is not a difference maker.

fin-atic said:
What is with this constant reference to slow? His 40 time?
Please Zach gets sideline to sideline as fast as anyone in the league. You never see a sweep or a reverse hit the edges without Zach stuffing it. He also is very capable in pass coverage. I have seen him stride for stride with slot WRs and TE's.

You guys are off on this. He is not sprinter speed, but he is football quick which is what matters.

• ZT has very good football speed and that's what counts.
  • ZT is not stuffing sweeps, when he gets there he does not wrap up, this costs you in the big games.
  • I have seen him stride for stride as well but mostly the strides are 1-2 yards behind the guy and then he makes the ankle tackle from behind.
  • ZT is a football player.
  • He is not a dominate player, he is a systems player, nothing wrong with that.

thedayafter said:
  • ZT is not a dominate player, he can be handled by one blocker.
  • They game plan for him not because he is a force but because he is the heart of the defense scheme.
  • ZT is stopped often, he does not have the ability to take a game over.
  • Saban has specific assets for each position, ZT does not fit Sabans idea, doesn't mean he can't play.
  • I wish ZT more success.
This is typical of the hype that surrounds ZT, the guy is a very good player. I think many people can identify with ZT, but the fact is he is not a difference maker.

If all you need is one blocker to take Zach out of a game, how did he average 12 tackles a game last year with both of his fat DTs out for the year?

Muck said:
Zach finished with 145 tackles behind an injured defensive line. But we should also point out the fact that Zach did it in 13 games.

That's the one thing I found missing also... he failed to point out the games Zach missed due to injury.

I don't know how anyone could consider this guy to be anything but exceptional. I can't remember how many times he busted through the line, and tackled the RB for a loss, sometimes multiple times in one drive.

To be that effective and to maintain a positive work ethic, while being on such a dismal team (as they were last year) shows a lot of character and commitment.

I'm not so sure about using the number of tackles to prove how good he is as compared to the other elite LBs of the league, though... one could argue that he got more tackles, because the Dline was so pathetic that they got through more often than on other teams.

All in all, I like the premise of the article... don't give up on Zach, he's got a lot left in the tank.

dolphan98 said:
That's a good point to make Muck. I agree with the article. Zach has been and still is the most important player on the defensive side of the ball. The defence hasn't been the same when he has been forced to miss games. The Tenessee game a couple of years ago is a good example. The only thing I take issue with is saying Olindo Mare has been one of our best players year in and year out. To me that doesn't make any sense. The last couple of years his field goal kicking has gone significantly downhill and he has missed some key kicks. Other than that good article.

That's true, Mare's FG performance has dropped. One thing I can say in his defense, though, is that he has a beast of a leg on kickoffs... constantly putting the ball deep in the end zone for a touchback. That may not seem important, but it is in my opinion... it prevents good field position or TD returns.

phinphanphrommi said:
If all you need is one blocker to take Zach out of a game, how did he average 12 tackles a game last year with both of his fat DTs out for the year?

The scheme was still for ZT to make all the tackles. I agree the guy posts stats. The fact is teams have always run on the Dolphin D when it counted most.

We have had a local defensive pride based on stats... we have not had a defense that has been able to win big games or overcome significant adversity.

thedayafter said:
The scheme was still for ZT to make all the tackles. I agree the guy posts stats. The fact is teams have always run on the Dolphin D when it counted most.

We have had a local defensive pride based on stats... we have not had a defense that has been able to win big games or overcome significant adversity.

You have waayyyy too narrow a viewpoint on this. You are laying big game and late season collapses at Zach's feet, which is just foolishness.

1. Up until this year, Miami had THE MOST PREDICTABLE defense in the NFL! Every team coming in would readily acknowledge this fact, as Zach and JT did last offseason.

2. The bigger the game, the MORE conservative our defense was called.

3. While the run game killed us against Baltimore in a playoff game, many of the major comebacks and late season wins against our defense have come in the passing game, against our "dominant" corners...see the Jets Monday night miracle.

4. Prevent defense was called by Wanny in every game that we held a lead.

5. Our offense has consistantly failed to give the defense rest in critical games, Ricky or not. The defense cannot be on the field for 45+ minutes of every playoff or big game.

6. The DL has aged substantially, and has been plagued with injury. The running game is won or lost on the line of scrimage. Most runs tackled for a loss are the result of strong DL play, not the linebacker core.

7. Astride Zach Thomas have been players far past their prime, or guys that have never acheived anything above mediocrity. Even the mighty Ray Lewis has struggled under such circumstances.

8. This defense never had a successful blitzing scheme, and the blitz was very seldom used.

All the criticism about Zach is undue. Is he perfect? No. Is he a top flight linebacker? Absolutely. Get off his back and wait to see what he gets done in Saban's system, and don't tell me he isn't a Saban type player unless you can provide an internal memo or post a link to a reputable news source quoting Saban as saying that, because you have no clue what Saban's system is! Didn't he recently say that he is still primarily a 4-3 guy? Is that not Zach's strength? For crying out loud, he is the best player on this team...cut him a break.

thedayafter said:

I completely and totally disagree. The big games we've lost the last couple of years have been primarily the result of the secondary giving up huge plays out of no where. As good as our pass defense has been... our run defense has always been there for us. Zach was a huge part of our defense that allowed 0 100 yard rushers in I think it was '03.

I think that everyone saying that Zach is not a Saban type player is just funny.

He said a while ago that he was building the D around two players: Jason and Zach.

Period.

:cooldude:

thedayafter said:
  • ZT has very good football speed and that's what counts.
  • ZT is not stuffing sweeps, when he gets there he does not wrap up, this costs you in the big games.
  • I have seen him stride for stride as well but mostly the strides are 1-2 yards behind the guy and then he makes the ankle tackle from behind.
  • ZT is a football player.
  • He is not a dominate player, he is a systems player, nothing wrong with that.
None of this makes any sense. You say:

-He gets taken out with one guy-Yet he still makes 12 tackles a game. How does that happen?
-He is not stuffing sweeps and doesn't tackle well- Yet he has 12 tackles a game.
-He ankle tackles the WR-An ankle tackle is as much a tackle as any. A stop is a stop. An ankle tackle on a 4.4 WR tells me the 250 lb LB is not that slow.

Yet he still makes all those tackles. How is that then? You have no facts to support you position and it is contradictory.

If he was a "system" player than 29 other teams would use the same system so their MLB would have 150 tackles a year. Or, when Zach went down his repalcements would be making 12 tackles a game, which they don't.

There are people out there who think it is fashionable or cool to cut down someone. But when they can't support it with facts, it makes them look bad. You guys say that ZT is a system guy, he can't tackle, he can be game planned for and taken out with one guy, YET he is still getting it done better than almost anyone else in the NFL. How is this? I mean if it is such a great "system" and how come it isn't being duplicated everywhere? If he can be taken out with one guy? Why does it rarely happen? I think the only time you see that happen is against the Jets. Here is a scoop for you, maybe Mawaee is just THAT good.
Geez. Zach deserves better than this.

phunwin said:
NP, but what's PCOW? I'm a nerd, but I don't think I've come across that particular net-acronym.
I made it up...it means "poor choice of words".....I guess it turned out to be a PCOA. :D

Back
Top Bottom