Commentary: Zach is Still the Man | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Zach is Still the Man

fin-atic said:
You know, I love how everyone keeps saying Zach can be game planned for and the Jets do it, and blah, blah, blah.
Yet he still dominates his position EVEN though they game plan for him. Because they are shifting protections against Zach they are unable to double up the DE positions and Jason Taylor then has big games. The fact that he is so dominant that teams HAVE to game plan for him says something. He is a constant force. His peers know it and that is why he goes to the Pro Bowl frequently. If it was as simple as just "Game Plan" for him then he would not have any success. Don't you think all the teams look at the Jets film and others and try to do the same? They just can't stop him.

As far as how he fits Saban's shceme, how the heck do any of you know what Saban's scheme will be, what Saban's idea of a prototypical LB is? You can't know.

I think the skills that make Zach what he is, intelligence, recognition, physical, great tackler, passion, are what you look for in any LB. And I think they will not change with the scheme nor will his effectiveness.

The point of my article is that before you "nay sayers" speculate that you know what Saban thinks and will do,and before you assume Zach won't be able to meet it, I say he deserves the full support of the fans to be given the chance to prove it before he is judged. Zach has beat the odds at every turn. I think he will do it again.
You're missing the point Fin-atic, no one is saying he can't do it, what the "nay sayers" are doing is pointing out that Zach has very real areas of concern such as his size and his age that can't be ignored. None are saying he can't over come this or that it will even be a factor for certain. What we are saying is that no one, not even the ones trying to paint the rosy picture, such as yourself, knows for sure how Zach will compensate or adjust or what he even needs to adjust to.

Saying he is going to be successful or a force, is no more a sure thing than saying he may struggle to adapt to a new system. You just can't assume that a 33 year old undersized linebacker who's been the leading tackler on a defense designed to make him the lead tackler for the last 10 years, is going to seamlessly groove to a new beat.

Tackles are an overrated stat.

If Zach makes a tackle 7 yards downfield, is that really something to celebrate? Hey, he had 145 tackles. Ok, nice......but lets look deeper. Sure, the injured D-Line played a factor.

And Im not knocking Zach. But, after this season it needs to be looked at. At his age, salary cap number, and level of play (declining from what it once was) should he be kept around.

But simply saying he is still a good player based on the number of tackles he had last year is missing the point. Impact plays. How many tackles for a loss. How many game changing plays did he make. That is what he is getting paid the BIG BUCKS for.

MikeO said:

If Zach makes a tackle 7 yards downfield, is that really something to celebrate? Hey, he had 145 tackles. Ok, nice......but lets look deeper. Sure, the injured D-Line played a factor.

And Im not knocking Zach. But, after this season it needs to be looked at. At his age, salary cap number, and level of play (declining from what it once was) should he be kept around.

But simply saying he is still a good player based on the number of tackles he had last year is missing the point. Impact plays. How many tackles for a loss. How many game changing plays did he make. That is what he is getting paid the BIG BUCKS for.

There were games last year Zach dominated. IF memory serves me correct the Bengals were a perfect example.

inFINSible said:
You're missing the point Fin-atic, no one is saying he can't do it, what the "nay sayers" are doing is pointing out that Zach has very real areas of concern such as his size and his age that can't be ignored. None are saying he can't over come this or that it will even be a factor for certain. What we are saying is that no one, not even the ones trying to paint the rosy picture, such as yourself, knows for sure how Zach will compensate or adjust or what he even needs to adjust to.

Saying he is going to be successful or a force, is no more a sure thing than saying he may struggle to adapt to a new system. You just can't assume that a 33 year old undersized linebacker who's been the leading tackler on a defense designed to make him the lead tackler for the last 10 years, is going to seamlessly groove to a new beat.

Yeah what he said except add in that his salary is way up there. He'll have to take a pay cut after this year to stay more than likely.

Jimi said:
There were games last year Zach dominated. IF memory serves me correct the Bengals were a perfect example.

Week 2. Still had fresh legs. Season had just begun. Dominate like that late in the season when games are important (last year a bad example, but going back). That is what he is getting paid for.

volk said:
You have waayyyy too narrow a viewpoint on this. You are laying big game and late season collapses at Zach's feet, which is just foolishness.

1. Up until this year, Miami had THE MOST PREDICTABLE defense in the NFL! Every team coming in would readily acknowledge this fact, as Zach and JT did last offseason.

2. The bigger the game, the MORE conservative our defense was called.

3. While the run game killed us against Baltimore in a playoff game, many of the major comebacks and late season wins against our defense have come in the passing game, against our "dominant" corners...see the Jets Monday night miracle.

4. Prevent defense was called by Wanny in every game that we held a lead.

5. Our offense has consistantly failed to give the defense rest in critical games, Ricky or not. The defense cannot be on the field for 45+ minutes of every playoff or big game.

6. The DL has aged substantially, and has been plagued with injury. The running game is won or lost on the line of scrimage. Most runs tackled for a loss are the result of strong DL play, not the linebacker core.

7. Astride Zach Thomas have been players far past their prime, or guys that have never acheived anything above mediocrity. Even the mighty Ray Lewis has struggled under such circumstances.

8. This defense never had a successful blitzing scheme, and the blitz was very seldom used.

All the criticism about Zach is undue. Is he perfect? No. Is he a top flight linebacker? Absolutely. Get off his back and wait to see what he gets done in Saban's system, and don't tell me he isn't a Saban type player unless you can provide an internal memo or post a link to a reputable news source quoting Saban as saying that, because you have no clue what Saban's system is! Didn't he recently say that he is still primarily a 4-3 guy? Is that not Zach's strength? For crying out loud, he is the best player on this team...cut him a break.

The players are responsible for making plays... period. The defense was loaded with PB players... face it... they are a stat defense and have yet to produce in big games.... sheesh.

I never mentioned the defense Saban runs 4-3...3-4 get a grip and read before you post... I said Saban has specific physical traits for each position and ZT does not meet those traits.... does it mean he can't play...no

Read then post some content...

phinphanphrommi said:
I completely and totally disagree. The big games we've lost the last couple of years have been primarily the result of the secondary giving up huge plays out of no where. As good as our pass defense has been... our run defense has always been there for us. Zach was a huge part of our defense that allowed 0 100 yard rushers in I think it was '03.

WHooeee... plain and simple. Point being they have yet to win an important game... and ZT for all his stats everyone loves so much has been a part of those losing efforts..... ZT gets taken out of every big game... he is not a dominate player... a very good player... yes

zach is one bad a%# dude! i love to watch him play! he has heart, guts, intelligence, instinct and he is truly a dolphin at heart...when he is gone there will be a void in the middle of the phin defense ala marino and the offense

fin-atic said:
None of this makes any sense. You say:

-He gets taken out with one guy-Yet he still makes 12 tackles a game. How does that happen?
-He is not stuffing sweeps and doesn't tackle well- Yet he has 12 tackles a game.
-He ankle tackles the WR-An ankle tackle is as much a tackle as any. A stop is a stop. An ankle tackle on a 4.4 WR tells me the 250 lb LB is not that slow.

Yet he still makes all those tackles. How is that then? You have no facts to support you position and it is contradictory.

If he was a "system" player than 29 other teams would use the same system so their MLB would have 150 tackles a year. Or, when Zach went down his repalcements would be making 12 tackles a game, which they don't.

There are people out there who think it is fashionable or cool to cut down someone. But when they can't support it with facts, it makes them look bad. You guys say that ZT is a system guy, he can't tackle, he can be game planned for and taken out with one guy, YET he is still getting it done better than almost anyone else in the NFL. How is this? I mean if it is such a great "system" and how come it isn't being duplicated everywhere? If he can be taken out with one guy? Why does it rarely happen? I think the only time you see that happen is against the Jets. Here is a scoop for you, maybe Mawaee is just THAT good.
Geez. Zach deserves better than this.

Yes we have a very good D on paper in the stat column.... I'd rather the D win some big games and have less stats....

And 12 tackles or 20 tackles is just a number... if it's 3-4 yards down field it fails to impress....

I am not cutting ZT down... you need to read my post... I said I would like my son to play like ZT.... read before you post.... and don't just give some emotional outburst... typical

inFINSible said:

Thank you some reasonable POV.... (point of view)

MikeO said:

Exactly... there are too many that are blinded by the stats/hype.... They think it's not fan worthy to tell it like it is....

razorphin said:
zach is one bad a%# dude! i love to watch him play! he has heart, guts, intelligence, instinct and he is truly a dolphin at heart...when he is gone there will be a void in the middle of the phin defense ala marino and the offense

Emotionally I agree....

Muck said:
Zach finished with 145 tackles behind an injured defensive line. But we should also point out the fact that Zach did it in 13 games.

Yeah he's the man, his name should be on the Dolphins Stadium's Ring of Honor when he retires.

Back
Top Bottom