Confirmed 3 OL starters | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Confirmed 3 OL starters

DANTODUPER said:
You are right about Carey vs Andrews but remember Hadnot was a low round pick, so.... maybe Carey is a bust (because he was taken so high!!!!) but Hadnot could somehow compensate the dumb decision of drafting Carey that high.

I really feel something special about Crowder and Roth, maybe they will be our Taylor and Zach of the future!

Next year we need a solid DT and a LT! the Qb problem will be solved by the end of this year in which Linehan will proove if either of our QB's is cappable enough! My guess... Gus is OK and Feeley is OK (both of them will stay one more year), and we are going to follow the Ravens aproach!! DEFENCE wins Championships!!!!!!!
Far from it...

If Feeley prooves good then all is good... but if it is Frerotte then we have a 34 year old starter.

Despite the talent at the top of the draft for LTs and DTs next year, I think we'll be picking in a position in which we could land Charlie Whitehurst.

You guys are selling Carey short. Wise was an idiot as a coach. How could anyone understand his system? He didn't have one. We had a center who didn't even understand it 2 years into it. The line was a mess last year and I put that all on Wise and Wanny. Carey was a solid 1st rd pick - if Miami didn't grab him there he would have been taken shortly after. The guy is Huge and he will be a player now that there is a coaching staff that will put guys in a position where they can succeed. If they didn't think he was athletic enough he wouldn't even be given the chance at LT. Guard is an easy fallback position. No matter what this line will be BIG and Carey's size is needed. I can't imagine if Carey was to play RG watching him and McDougle out on a sweep. The field will slant with those 2 guys.

I personally believe there are NO locks along the offensive line. Theres 3 great things about our line-
1) There all relativley young
2) There all for the most part ENORMOUS
3) Many can play diffrent positions

LT Carey, young, strong, huge, good feet and a much better coach
LG James. Poor center and LT play hurt his ability to perform
C St. clair, Hadnot Mckinny (best 5 will start I am sure)
RG Cook, Hadnot, Who knows but I think this works ok.
RT Mcdougle. No doubt he was brought in to free up comp at the LT pos. This line has alot of flexibility built in and will allow the best % to start.
IMO
Carey LT, James LG, Hadnot C, Cook RG, Mcdougle RT.

BenchFiedler said:
I know for sure we allready have 3 starters for our O-Line and the rest is up for grabs.

We allready have

Jeno James --LG--Definite lock
Rex Hadnot---RG --More impressive than Carey =definite lock
Stockar McDougle--RT --Lock--was brought here for that

The Center and LT positions are still uncertain.

Vernon Carey, Wade Smith, Mckintosh, McKinney,Damion Cook, and John StClaire will have to compete for the remaining positions, otherwise be cut or be a back-up if not cut...Anthony Alabi does not have a chance yet, he needs one more year to bulk up, even the press thought he looked like a tight end.

McKinney and MCkintosh could regain their starting spots and that would officially tag Vernon Carey as a bust....
Hadnot is far from a lock to start.

The only words I've heard out of Saban is that Stockar at RT gives them a LOT of flexibility. So it sounds like he'll get the RT job. St Clair could be moved to RG to compete with Hadnot. McIntosh and Carey will probably battle it out at LT with Smith/McKinney making the Center battle. I think just cause of the cap the LG spot will be given to James.

Here are my latest predictions for our Offensive Line...

Scenario 1: (Seems like the current lineup)

LT-Damion McIntosh/Vernon Carey/ Anthony Alabi
LG-Jeno James/Damion Cook/Taylor Whitley
C- Seth McKinney/Wade Smith
RG-Rex Hadnot/ Vernon Carey/Whitley
RT-Stockar McDougle/ John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Scenario 2: (I really don't like this one.)

LT- Vernon Carey/Damion McIntosh/Tony Pape
LG- Jeno James/Damion Cook/Bobby Meeks
C - Seth McKinney/Wade Smith/John St. Clair
RG- Rex Hadnot/Vernon Carey/Taylor Whitley
RT- Stockar McDougle/John St. Clair/Anthony Alabi

Scenario 3: (My favorite. This is what I'm hoping for)

LT-Damion McIntosh McIntosh/Vernon Carey/Tony Pape/Anthony Alabi
LG-Jeno James/Damion Cook/Taylor Whitley
C- Rex Hadnot/ Wade Smith/John St. Clair
RG-Vernon Carey/Seth McKinney/Bobby Meeks
RT-Stockar McDougle/John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Possible releases: Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, and/or Bobby Meeks.

I personally like Scenario 3, the best. Rex Hadnot at Center is a major concern due to lack of experience but I think Houck can really turn him into something special and I think he's good enough to be in the starting lineup at either RG or C... but I also think Vernon Carey is talented enough and should be in the starting lineup as well. But yeah, those are my 3 scenarios for Offensive Line. Thoughts? Best Scenario? And any changes you would make?

When did Jeno James become a lock to start? He was easily the most disappointing of the linemen last year, mainly because he signed a fairly big contract and came in with high expectations. He never once played up to his contract last year, really struggled as a pass protector, and had a lot of fall off blocks in the running game. Fall off blocks are blocks where he makes contact but due to poor form, he is top heavy and falls off the block.

The most consistent linemen on the team last season were John St. Clair, Taylor Whitley, and Seth McKinney.

KB21 said:
When did Jeno James become a lock to start? He was easily the most disappointing of the linemen last year, mainly because he signed a fairly big contract and came in with high expectations. He never once played up to his contract last year, really struggled as a pass protector, and had a lot of fall off blocks in the running game. Fall off blocks are blocks where he makes contact but due to poor form, he is top heavy and falls off the block.

The most consistent linemen on the team last season were John St. Clair, Taylor Whitley, and Seth McKinney.

how was seth consistent?

BenchFiedler said:
McKinney and MCkintosh could regain their starting spots and that would officially tag Vernon Carey as a bust....

Disagree with you, if we have 5 good quality starters and Carey is our 6th best lineman, and versatile enought to play 3-4 positions, then he's not a bust. We didn't draft this guy 5th in the draft, he was 20th (?). Eventually, he'll be a starter.

BenchFiedler said:
I know for sure we allready have 3 starters for our O-Line and the rest is up for grabs.

We allready have

Jeno James --LG--Definite lock
Rex Hadnot---RG --More impressive than Carey =definite lock
Stockar McDougle--RT --Lock--was brought here for that

The Center and LT positions are still uncertain.

Vernon Carey, Wade Smith, Mckintosh, McKinney,Damion Cook, and John StClaire will have to compete for the remaining positions, otherwise be cut or be a back-up if not cut...Anthony Alabi does not have a chance yet, he needs one more year to bulk up, even the press thought he looked like a tight end.

OK...where is this info coming from ??
I tend to agree with you, but unless you are a fly on the wall in Davie, you're typing out of your ---.

The problem is that none of those guys you listed are true LTs... I do think that Big Mac can be our guy...he was coming off an ankle surgery which is tough for an OL to come off of..he should actually be better this year. St. Clair, arguably had the best year of any of the OL from last year, but that isn't saying much. I was really dissapointed in McKinney last year...I thought he'd do a lot better, but he never panned out...was pushed all over the place all season long.

Your info that Hadnot was more impressive than Carey is kind of skewed...how can you know this since Carey hardly played any last year...He got caught in the politics of Speilman vs. Wanny and lost. Another example of Wanny not utilizing the best assets of his players...but I digress....Carey didn't show anything, but also wasn't given the opportunity either. That said, I think there is a spot on the line for both of them...I like Hadnot at either RG or C. I'd still like to have seen Carey put at RT and left there to develop, but that won't be happening either...Carey, IMHO, is going to end up a bust for us because he isn't playing his best position...even if he plays well at LT, he is much more suited to RT...

We have a quandry on the OL...I am concerned that as poorly as it played last season (and there are many reasons for that other than personnel), we really didn't change the personnel much at all save for McDougle...very scary to me.... The problem is that the OL play is the key to the entire offense, AJs development, the WRs and the RBs...

KB21 said:

You stole my thunder KB...I think Jeno James is FAR from a lock to start.

I also notice that everyone is very quick to dismiss Seth McKinney as the starting center...whether it be by replacing him with John St. Clair (yes he was a good college center but does'nt ANYONE think that if he could be a great professional center some team/coach somewhere along the line would have tried him there?) Rex Hadnot (again...great college center but am I the only one who sees that he is a guard now?) or Wade Smith (he has the athleticism to be a great center but doea he have the mental toughness it takes to be a center in the NFL? How about his strength?).

McKinney wil start at center IMO. Unless he completely sh|ts the bed in training camp.

I personally think the only player that is CLOSE to a lock is Stockar McDougle BUT he is competing with St. Clair and, as much as I don't like St. Clair he was pretty good last year.

The question I have (for anyone with an opinion) is, can St. Clair play guard? I think he deserves to play.

BenchFiedler said:
that would officially tag Vernon Carey as a bust....

This is simply not true. There are a slew of all-pro linemen who did not start their first 2-3 years in the league. Offensive line is considered the second most difficult position from a mental standpoint, next to QB. It is a challenge. Add to that the fact that Carey is not slotted in at one position and it makes things more difficult. If we had a solid LT, Carey would be slotted at RG and had he been there from the get-go last year, I think he'd be a solid starter there.

I also don't think we can say there are any "locks." No doubt, Jeno James, LG, is probably the surest starter. McDougle should also be a starter at RT. Beyond that, I don't see any sure fire locks.

Like some others, I would like to see Hadnot moved to Center to compete there with Wade Smith and McKinney. But, that would partly depend on the RG spot.

One thing I like about this OL is that it is extremely young and has a lot of depth and potential. I think it will be a very good line ultimately.

I think the more locks we have on the O-line, regardless of who they are, the better off we will be. Offensive lines are about cohesion which the Fins must start building in the pre season. It's much more important than open competition especially if you have players who are close in talent.

Back
Top Bottom