Could this career adversity actually be good for Tua next season? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could this career adversity actually be good for Tua next season?

I haven't really followed Tua much but heard he's gone through adversity in his life so that's not new. But career adversity can be separate. He's a top 5 pick and that's great but even if you're a hard worker and leader, maybe sometimes not being touted or a struggle can help. I know he had his hip injury and with that adversity couldn't wait to get back to how he was in college. However, I think he might've been hindered or felt a little hindered without a full training camp or strength training to get back to the form he wanted. With another year to heal, it might help him to bring out that ability more and to obviously learn the game going back to training.

So pair that along with, now you have everywhere the doubts from anonymous players, analysts. Some saying how Tua's a bust, not only has Herbert done better but he's so much more talented, and the pile on. To me, even though I wish things went smoother even though I liked a few games he had there were als struggles of course. However, just seeing from the outside and not being a player, I see these doubts everywhere and I'm like screw these dudes ha and it's not even toward me. So ironically, I feel this could potentially be a good thing or atleast we can really see what Tua's mettle is.

It may suck for a player but sometimes it can be beneficial for some players to get knocked down.
I don't say this because Tua's ****y as I believe he's a nice dude and humble. But these situations can fuel a hard work that's already there and perhaps take that huge drive there already and turbo boost it. Does he have it in him? who knows but who knows that it might fuel a fire or chip on his shoulder to kick into gear that talent that made him a top 5 pick. I don't believe it's necessarily what a person is born with, and it doesn't have to be early in life either. Sometimes slights and doubts later on can fuel stuff. I loved the last dance, but it wasn't just not making the highschool basketball team for Jordan, but Jordan even admitting his older brother beating him at basketball when he was young is what fuel michael to be so crazy competitive. If michael's brother wasn't like that, who knows if jordan would have had that fire that made him the goat. We all know about Tom Brady. But Aaron Rodgers always had a ton of talent, but I think he had skills that needed to be polished in the pros.

But I do wonder if Aaron Rodgers would be the bad man he is if he was picked top 5 like projected instead of fall to no 24 and be humbled and stoke a fire he might not have had before. He was the top dog in college and projected top 5 the whole time and then the drop happened. Marino was superb in talent, and he didn't really have to study like Peyton as it seemed like Marino had a gift of seeing the field like few qbs did. But I can't help feeling an extra fire might've came too for marino going all the way down to no 27. I'm not saying Tua will be great, but some of your best of all time were either overlooked or dropped down and they took that and never let go of that fire. Obviously a player has to have the ability and doesn't work for other players. I mean it goes on, Steve Smith, etc. Just because Tua is a nice dude doesn't mean he can't separate that and be a beast on the field. Troy Polumalu is one of the more soft spoken, humble players, yet he was an absolute beast once he stepped on field. If there's a situation that could activate a mamba mentality in Tua this is it now.

Many rookie qbs that turn out good or great in their career have a not so great rookie season. But despite that, I haven't seen a rookie qb which Tua's td and int ratio was better than a good many of rookie qbs that ended up being good or for his rookie season to have that he had. For fans and many sources just feel he's a bust or the wrong pick when other rookie qbs didn't get that and it's mainly because Tua got drafted and compared to two other qbs who did well. Previous one's got that pass because they didn't get compared or guys next to them to get compared to like Tua has been. Sometimes it's a distraction and maybe some shouldn't pay attention to the doubts, but other times the great one's make use of the doubts and makes them better.

I believe the kid has already shown some remarkable resilience...to even start/finish NFL games so soon after that hip injury. That's not ALL physical. He's shown the drive his whole life. He's shown the determination with his situation at Alabama and Miami.

The way I see it there are only 2 ways this can go. He'll either be stagnant through next season and not show improvement, or he'll show marked improvement after his hip has time to fully heal and his body around it is built back to where it would be had the injury not occurred, and he's had more time to adjust to/learn the NFL system he'll be operating under. I would put the odds in his favor for that improvement.

The kid has that "can't quit won't quit" gene. He can come across all nicey-nice on the sidelines and in the press, but that doesn't jive with the work ethic he has shown. There's a beast in there.

If, in the end, its not enough, well we gave it a shot...I just think we'll see a much improved product next season.

Yeah, I think it's a nice test to his mettle which I believe in him. But everyone is doubting him and maybe that let's other crumble, but for others, like I said, it makes them go into overdrive even more than they'd already be in. Sometimes being top 5 and touted with no doubt works fine, but sometimes you can turn an adversity into a positive like Rodgers turned going down to 24 as a positive. He even said it humbled him and it seemed to light a fire that he might've already had but surge it more. Granted Tua might not needed the humbling since he's already a humble guy it seems. However, sometimes you can take the things that hit you and instead of hurting you, you go stronger as a result and turn it into a positive. Tua's being doubted, time for you to shine Tua and show these doubters wrong

That's the key. everyone acts differently to various types of adversity and TT had a variety. The little I know about him, I expect him to use this as motivation. Motivation and talent can accomplish a lot

Hey Tua isn’t the type that will pack it in and call it a day. He will outwork every other guy and strive to be the best. Trading him will be the biggest mistake a football team will ever make if we do. There’s a reason every coach he’s had has said remarkable things about his work effort and drive.

I personally don’t see any adversity and it’s only being stirred up by others. He is a top 5 pick, he is our QB and he stays and gets given a chance in my opinion. Hope so and hope he will prove everyone wrong.

I personally believe just with the expectation Miami will have a much better receiveing unit next year, with better running back squad, and a more experienced O-line, Tua might make a HUGE leap in 2021.

A bunch of receivers that will not drop balls nearly as much...Have players that will actually at points in games actually get really open, and not just NFL open...Have a Roster that even when losing more then one starter, will not effect game plans as much. Receivers that will actually beat a defense deep, and when passed to, will actually make the catch.

A premier Powerback that in a close game, will get you tough yards to continue a drive...A RB, that will force defenses to at least slightly worry about him, because if they don't, he will take over a game.

Finally an O-line that will mostly be playing together for a 2nd year, and will have more experience, with less Rookie learning curve.

Tua could very well be a FAR better QB in year 2, then he was in year one...Especially if Miami finds the right O-coordinator. Don't forget who Tua is, and even his detractors have to agree, Tua is never fully satisfied in himself, is a hard worker, and will probably be working harder to become better next year then most of the other starters.

Tua's Dad MADE him become a lefty and whacked him with a belt when he threw a pick as a kid. Think about that....Do you really think he gives one flying fluke what the media or Dolfan Larry in section 127 calling into WQAM says about "career adversity" or his perceived struggles? Whatever you think of the particular parenting methods employed by Mr. T it cannot be argued that Tua will ever accept failure or shrink from a challenge... he is going to will himself to get better on a daily basis. At the end of the day is that not the very embodiment of Coach Flo's philosophy? Give the kid a chance with an actual training camp, some decent weapons, an o-line with at least some experience, and maybe, just maybe an offensive coordinator tailoring a game plan to his actual strengths. I swear, from the owner on down this franchise and fanbase are so damned obsessed with the QB position I honestly believe that a freshly cloned 23 year old Marino walking into Hard Rock Stadium would be run out of town the first time he threw a frigging pick.

Tua's Dad MADE him become a lefty and whacked him with a belt when he threw a pick as a kid. Think about that....Do you really think he gives one flying fluke what the media or Dolfan Larry in section 127 calling into WQAM says about "career adversity" or his perceived struggles? Whatever you think of the particular parenting methods employed by Mr. T it cannot be argued that Tua will ever accept failure or shrink from a challenge... he is going to will himself to get better on a daily basis. At the end of the day is that not the very embodiment of Coach Flo's philosophy? Give the kid a chance with an actual training camp, some decent weapons, an o-line with at least some experience, and maybe, just maybe an offensive coordinator tailoring a game plan to his actual strengths. I swear, from the owner on down this franchise and fanbase are so damned obsessed with the QB position I honestly believe that a freshly cloned 23 year old Marino walking into Hard Rock Stadium would be run out of town the first time he threw a frigging pick.
Preach

Shula to after his first big loss.

I believe Rodgers and Marino succeed wherever they get picked...their arm talent was that rare.

I’m not convinced Tua is in that same conversation.....
Tom Brady didn’t have great arm talent nor did joe Montana. Tons of qbs with great arms are busts too. It’s so much more than arm talent as it doesn’t mean much of you can’t read defenses. The extra film the extra conditioning or crazy prep that comes from that chip on ones shoulder. Aaron Rodgers I believe had bad mechanics though. I’m not sure he would’ve. Aaron Rodgers a didn’t look good his first two seasons. I watched pre season games where he’d come in and still not look good vs backups. Aaron said the drop was humbling and looking back it was actually a good thing for him

I believe the kid has already shown some remarkable resilience...to even start/finish NFL games so soon after that hip injury. That's not ALL physical. He's shown the drive his whole life. He's shown the determination with his situation at Alabama and Miami.

The way I see it there are only 2 ways this can go. He'll either be stagnant through next season and not show improvement, or he'll show marked improvement after his hip has time to fully heal and his body around it is built back to where it would be had the injury not occurred, and he's had more time to adjust to/learn the NFL system he'll be operating under. I would put the odds in his favor for that improvement.

The kid has that "can't quit won't quit" gene. He can come across all nicey-nice on the sidelines and in the press, but that doesn't jive with the work ethic he has shown. There's a beast in there.

If, in the end, its not enough, well we gave it a shot...I just think we'll see a much improved product next season.
Exactly and we’ll have a team with talent and ready to put around a young qb should we have to draft one in 2023. But until tua shows he’s not the qb, I believe in him and ready to see him next season and I think he’ll be better as well as will bounce back

I personally don’t see any adversity and it’s only being stirred up by others. He is a top 5 pick, he is our QB and he stays and gets given a chance in my opinion. Hope so and hope he will prove everyone wrong.
A lot of material to create a chip on the shoulder. That can be good or bad for players depending on how they take it. I think it will be good for him. But tons are doubting him, saying he’s so much less talented than Herbert and Burrow, players talking crap about him on his own team.

bored kanye west GIF

I personally believe just with the expectation Miami will have a much better receiveing unit next year, with better running back squad, and a more experienced O-line, Tua might make a HUGE leap in 2021.

A bunch of receivers that will not drop balls nearly as much...Have players that will actually at points in games actually get really open, and not just NFL open...Have a Roster that even when losing more then one starter, will not effect game plans as much. Receivers that will actually beat a defense deep, and when passed to, will actually make the catch.

A premier Powerback that in a close game, will get you tough yards to continue a drive...A RB, that will force defenses to at least slightly worry about him, because if they don't, he will take over a game.

Finally an O-line that will mostly be playing together for a 2nd year, and will have more experience, with less Rookie learning curve.

Tua could very well be a FAR better QB in year 2, then he was in year one...Especially if Miami finds the right O-coordinator. Don't forget who Tua is, and even his detractors have to agree, Tua is never fully satisfied in himself, is a hard worker, and will probably be working harder to become better next year then most

Tua could very well be a FAR better QB in year 2, then he was in year one...Especially if Miami finds the right O-coordinator. Don't forget who Tua is, and even his detractors have to agree, Tua is never fully satisfied in himself, is a hard worker, and will probably be working harder to become better next year then most of the other starters.

Totally agree with you. The fact that he had to deal with the WR unit either dropping passes or inconsistently being injured had totally thrown off his confidence and timing. As a rookie, handling those things dont come overnight.
Also, i hear everyone mentioning where NFL open and Alabama open is two different things. But this past yr and in college its not like Tua didnt throw into tight windows or forgot how to anticipate and release before the receiver made his cut. Its because it takes reps and timing, and most importantly confidence in what had been an incosistent bunch of WRs, Tua didnt know who was gonna be healthy from one week to the next...
People will then say, Oh Fitz did it with the same corp of receivers!! Well i hope he darn well did because hes been in the league since the dinosaur age, and hes been with this dolphin unit long enough to know who hes been working with.
Compare Tua with other QBs rookie or Veteran. They at least have one, two.. or heck even three weapons the ball can be distributed to. Dont you think that helps relieve the pressure off of the QB? Or moreover a ROOKIE Qb? Yea i didnt think Tua had much help as the other rookies did. Bottom line, too much criticism given and not much credit. Hes gonna take that critcism and learn from them.

Last edited:
Seems like a really level headed dude. I definitely think he has the mentality to be very successful. Now we pray the planets to align. Quarterback seems to be a very fragile position. Its like any business venture really you need a lot of things to fall in to place for a great success. Lets go Tua Fins Up!

I'm glad to see a different take on Tua and his development. Yes, he is facing some adversity. Yes, he was on loaded teams in Hawaii and at Alabama. Recovery from a very serious hip injury was a bucketful of adversity. I'm sure he's aware of some people doubting his abilities and his future. But something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the coaching staff we presently have in Miami. The media has made many comments on how Miami's staff has put the Dolphins in a position where players have success and want to come here. Do we really think Flores and other coaches in Miami will not be telling Tua to ignore the outside noise? Do we believe that Tua has respect for the coaches in Miami and will do whatever they want him to do? Has Tua handled himself in a way that makes us question his tenacity or ability to improve? Coaching, I believe, is what will make the most difference in Tua's ability to improve next year, and for the first the first time in a long time I have some trust in the coaching staff. Tua hasn't given me any reason to think he won't do absolutely everything in his power to be a better QB next year. None of us can predict the future, but I'd personally be quite hesitant to doubt that this kid can't face challenges head-on and continuously improve.

Back
Top Bottom