Could this really happen? Interesting | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could this really happen? Interesting

Oh hell no, i dont WANT sewell. If we were to get him, then i could see how they could potentially justify it. I was just replying to the poster that said sewell was not happening. we invested big time last year, let them guys grow together, just add em a center in this draft and replace flowers in 2022

I don't particularly want him either. He's behind like 5-7 other players in my eyes, but at the same time its not due to talent, its that I agree we spent enough resources for now.

That doesn't mean I'll hate the man if we draft him. Ill just hope we give Tua some great protection and improve our run blocking.

I don't care what that chart says, there's no way moving from 18 to 9 would only cost us pick 50. Stop dreaming people.
yeah but Grier would trade those dummies an R3 in 2024!

Like folks say around here ----- picks are actually worth MORE in the future!

Can't believe you missed that!

Mad man Grier is messing with him. Going to trade down with da Bears so they can take the last QB. Then Trade back up to 9 to get the last WR getting a few extra picks for years to come.

I did this mock the other day just to see what it would take:

• 6. Kyle Pitts TE, Florida​

• 10. DeVonta Smith WR, Alabama​

• 36. Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina​

• 50. Quinn Meinerz — Wisconsin-Whitewater IOL,​

• 156. Charles Snowden LB, Virginia​

• 231. Jaelon Darden WR, North Texas​

It cost me #18, #81 + a 3rd and a 6th next year to get to #10.

I did this mock the other day just to see what it would take:

• 6. Kyle Pitts TE, Florida​

• 10. DeVonta Smith WR, Alabama​

• 36. Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina​

• 50. Quinn Meinerz — Wisconsin-Whitewater IOL,​

• 156. Charles Snowden LB, Virginia​

• 231. Jaelon Darden WR, North Texas​

It cost me #18, #81 + a 3rd and a 6th next year to get to #10.
If those first 3 picks happened I'd definitely need new underwear.

yeah but Grier would trade those dummies an R3 in 2024!

Like folks say around here ----- picks are actually worth MORE in the future!

Can't believe you missed that!

Depends what draft. I've lurked for a while and seen your posts so know your position on the net benefit of the trades. Personally I was a little disappointed to not get another 2nd this year as well, I feel like we need one given our needs. However one thing to keep in mind with that 2023 1st from SF is that I believe this is QB insurance for us. Next year is supposed to be a pretty bad QB class. We would never move on from Tua that fast anyway. However, in the very (I hope) unlikely event things don't work out for Tua this year or next we would be in a position to make a move in 2023.

I get time value of money, I'm a commercial real estate banker, that's my business. But with these picks it is not that simple, there are a lot of variables with the perceived strength or weakness of various positions in various drafts and then there is always the cap and money issues, we are a little thin now, moving some capital forward helps there and maybe they think we are already loaded with high picks this year given 5 in top 81. Luck plays a big part as well. Would a hypothetical 2nd this year that turned into a solid center or RB be as valuable to us in 2023 if that extra first helped us land the next great thing at QB? Just a lot of variables to consider.

All in all I was in favor of the trades because I believed then and still pretty much do that our target at #3, we will still get at #6. So the trades saved us $$ on that player now and provided mainly the 2023 first down the road which will always be helpful but could be absolutely needed and necessary if we think we need a QB at that point.

I like your takes so not trying to stir anything up, was just mainly pointing out 2022 is a bad QB class so that extra 1st in 2023 is QB insurance IMO.

I dont think we can say sewell is not gonna happen. Most of us dont want it to happen because we invested heavily in OL last year. He's potentially an upgrade over both tackles we have now. I dont want Sewell, but they can justify getting him, and any dolphins fan should realize his name isnt off the draft board just cause of Jackson and Hunt.

Ideally we just sit at 6 and 18. I want Parsons, but i want him in the slide to 18
This team needs playmakers. I’m not convinced that he’s even the best OT on the board.

This team needs playmakers. I’m not convinced that he’s even the best OT on the board.

i know some say slater could be better. once again, this isnt about what the fans think we need. this is what talent greer wants for the team. the only way sewells name 100% is not in their discussions is if hes off the board.

i know some say slater could be better. once again, this isnt about what the fans think we need. this is what talent greer wants for the team. the only way sewells name 100% is not in their discussions is if hes off the board.
OL is waaaaaaaay down the priority list. Playmakers on O and D are the immediate needs

If it ends up being Sewell I'll be slightly disappointed, but I'll also be fine with it because I recognize what he can do for our offense overall.

That said, indont think its necessary to spend all your top picks on the line to build a strong one.

I consider our existing line to be fairly classified as "up an coming", but not yet where it needs to be.

For that reason alone, drafting an exceptional OL early is probably more realistic then getting a receiver or a running back early in the 1st round.

I really do not know what the front office intends to due, other then to continue to increase our number of draft choices via trades and bringing in experienced Free Agents on short term contracts to address weaknesses and help maintain a reliable group of backups. This is what they have done consistently to date and I expect it to continue as the teams playing capability expands, with a possible slight reduction in Free Agents over time.

I will not be too surprised to see us pick a QB with any of our draft positions; if an excellent QB is available at our spot. This is not to "throw any shade on Tua", but back up QB's who can perform are worth every penny we pay them. These QB's typically come from Free Agency. We are in a UNIQUE position at this point in the Dolphins rebuild where we are starting to see good results and could benefit from a selection of our future QB from a small group of 2 or 3 QB's we draft. We have seen and can expect to see multiple 1st round picks through 2023.

I saw this kind of situation happen a long time ago when the Steelers had their QB but brought in Bradshaw, Plunket? and someone else before they selected one to ride with. As it turned out Bradshaw was one tough competitor. This was around 1970 +/- 4 or 5 years.

I wish many of the more negative fans would just stop for a moment and look at how far we have come with the growth of the team Since Grier took over as GM without Tannenbaum pulling his strings. If they could keep that in mind, they may realize that we are well placed in this draft with several multiple early round draft picks in a draft that might be one of the richest in quality players at positions we are looking to improve at.

This next Dolphins draft is likely to be one that gets etched in the history of the Dolphins as the point we turned the corner.

Back
Top Bottom