Could Vontae Davis be as good as Revis? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Vontae Davis be as good as Revis?

MLQ

Practice Squad
Reaction score
As much as I hate to compliment a player on the Jets, you have to admit that Darell Revis
is the best CB in the NFL. I'm sure he will sign next week and be ready for the regular season. He would lose too much money sitting out regular season games.

Having said that, I think that Vontae Davis might have the physical skills to become an elite CB also, perhaps on the same level as Revis. I'm not basing that conclusion totally on his great performance in last night's meaningless pre-season game.

Even when he got burned last year by Moss and TO, it seemed that he just lacked NFL experience more than the ability to cover the best receivers in the game.

Time will tell, but he might wind up being better than Surtain, Madison, Troy Vincent, etc., and wind up being the best Dolphin CB ever.

What Vontae has in his favor is that he is already showing to be one of the most physically gifted CB's in the league and he can play the run and tackle with the best of them, this being prior to his second season. Don't know if he will ever be that great cover CB that Revis is, but I could see him being mentioned as one of the most complete CB's in this league sooner than later. Vontae is the complete package at CB.

What Vontae has in his favor is that he is already showing to be one of the most physically gifted CB's in the league and he can play the run and tackle with the best of them, this being prior to his second season. Don't know if he will ever be that great cover CB that Revis is, but I could see him being mentioned as one of the most complete CB's in this league sooner than later. Vontae is the complete package at CB.

I also don't see him fitting the Revis mold. That being said I think he definitely has the tools to be an elite cornerback. I think Chris McAlister in his prime is a better target for Davis. Good tackler, good cover skills, great corner.

Too bad whoever we put on the other side gets toasted on the reg.

The lone TD we gave up, J.Allen gets beaten on an inside move. We shouldve given up another TD, but the pass was dropped after Smith got SMOKED on an out and up.

WV what do you think of our secondary? Our corners and safeties?

Vontae has certainly been raising his game to a new level. Just how good he will be remains to be seen. I would venture to say say he has some Pro Bowls in his future though.

wait til after this season to evaluate him towards Revis. If you remember, Revis' first year in the league wasn't bad but also wasn't great (kinda like Vontae's) but showed lots of progression. His 2nd year was his the year he broke out. So lets see what Vontae does in his second year

Too bad whoever we put on the other side gets toasted on the reg.

The lone TD we gave up, J.Allen gets beaten on an inside move. We shouldve given up another TD, but the pass was dropped after Smith got SMOKED on an out and up.

Inside move, but was there supposed to be help, he was playing White as if he was going to matchup solo if he cut outside and on the inside he would get some kind of help. Other than that Jason wasn't bad at all last night.

Smith got SMOKED however.

Besides his ridiculous tackling ability, he has really good ball skills and even when the opposition completes a pass, he's right there to try and break it up. For a guy with only one year under his belt, he's as good as can be expected as this point.

last night was vontaes first game on a dry field and thats the game i said i was going to judge.you cant judge a cb on a wet field.and revis is not overrated. remember in the offseason vontae said he was going to the probowl this year well we will see. amagine vontae and revis in the probowl together. vontae can be even better than revis in time the reason i say this is because vontae has body control and speed like revis but vontae is stronger and more physical. both are smart.if you watch revis he uses his strenght in coverage alot. all vontae needs to do is learn whats right and whats wrong and that comes with experience. we need smith to tighten up in coverage on the other side so teams would be forced to throw to vontae like last night. but with our blitzing this season i expect alot of picks for both cbs. oh yea and sanchez suckz

Back
Top Bottom