Cover 0 blitzes - What the hell was Flores thinking?! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cover 0 blitzes - What the hell was Flores thinking?!

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the hell the Dolphins coaching staff was thinking continuously calling these ridiculous cover 0 blitzes. Did Rex Ryan, Revis and Cromartie suddenly join this team? Our coaching staff putting our putrid corners on islands against speedster WRs was atrocious and was bound to fail. And the worst part, the Steelers OL picked up the blitzes (almost) every.single.time. We were playing against Mason freaking Rudolph. Play zone and let the kid make mistakes.

I am all for aggressively defense but come on, you gotta know your personnel. We have practice squad level DBs out there. And on that 3rd and forever RIGHT BEFORE THE HALF, they call one. Dumbest play call I've seen from a defense in all my life. And I know these games are meaningless, but Flores will be coaching next year with (I'm assuming) far superior talent through the draft and FA so he better not pull this bs.

This...

giphy.gif

When you have legitimately no DE or pass rush the only thing you can do is gimmick. It worked until the Steelers figured it out then you saw the result. It was the same back in the wildcat day.

I think it was a three man zone behind the blitz. x released his guy. Guy in the middle chased his and left the middle open. He stays home at worst a first down. Interesting before the time out they showed a soft zone coverage. I like the defensive game plan. We can he call it like we are protecting our weaknesses which is a lot. Or call it and develop what we want to look like when we have out personnel. It's a good culture call. We will find our depth this way. Their qb made some tight throws and we got beat by better players on the catch but we were involved in tight coverage. Ohio state defensive end seems to be in our possibilities. And seeing how qb play matters in the league. 20 teams in playoff mix. 2 to 3 of them have quarterbacks that could be considered game changers at this point of their careers. As many teams have dominant players in other spots driving their win loss.

Yup, it's called a TANK!!! I was %$%$#@%& Stunned, when I saw that. The game completely changed from that point on. The 2pt conversation call, against Washington and the 3rd and forever call, made me a believer this staff is calling plays for the other team.

You guys are saying they're purposefully calling these ridiculous plays, but what if they're not? what if this is really how Flores wants to call games. He's out of his freakin mind. I certainly understand not have DL pressure, so blitz 1 DB/LB but to send everyone?! and to do it over and over and over again. We made Rudolph looked like the best deep ball thrower in the league and the funny thing about this is earlier in the week I started a thread specifically talking about how Rudolph is a dink and dunk guy and never throws deep (ESPN analytics backed that up tonight by showing his abysmal yards per pass attempt which was really low). This is not rocket science and I seriously don't understand how these coaches make this game harder than it has to be.

Miami was running man across the board. Whose responsibility led to the broken coverage? Or does that dynamic not fit into your theory?

You guys are saying they're purposefully calling these ridiculous plays, but what if they're not? what if this is really how Flores wants to call games. He's out of his freakin mind. I certainly understand not have DL pressure, so blitz 1 DB/LB but to send everyone?! and to do it over and over and over again. We made Rudolph looked like the best deep ball thrower in the league and the funny thing about this is earlier in the week I started a thread specifically talking about how Rudolph is a dink and dunk guy and never throws deep (ESPN analytics backed that up tonight by showing his abysmal yards per pass attempt which was really low). This is not rocket science and I seriously don't understand how these coaches make this game harder than it has to be.

When you are making him look like Darnold, what is your issue? The coverage asked for man coverage on the backend. Who lost coverage?

I think it was a three man zone behind the blitz. x released his guy. Guy in the middle chased his and left the middle open. He stays home at worst a first down. Interesting before the time out they showed a soft zone coverage. I like the defensive game plan. We can he call it like we are protecting our weaknesses which is a lot. Or call it and develop what we want to look like when we have out personnel. It's a good culture call. We will find our depth this way. Their qb made some tight throws and we got beat by better players on the catch but we were involved in tight coverage. Ohio state defensive end seems to be in our possibilities. And seeing how qb play matters in the league. 20 teams in playoff mix. 2 to 3 of them have quarterbacks that could be considered game changers at this point of their careers. As many teams have dominant players in other spots driving their win loss.
If you are talking about the 3rd and 20 it was a man to man with three and 8 blitzers. The problem was that we did not get to Rudolph before he could dump the ball off and Howard continuing to backpedal while his receiver runs a slant route. If you blitz with that many you better get to the QB because if you do not a simple dump off to a receiver or RB is a home run. But even with that slant route if Howard recognizes it earlier he could have stopped Johnson short of the first down. As a matter of fact since Johnson was his man he should have seen Johnson moving to the inside. Howard backpedaled and did not react to the slant route until Johnson was already in the middle of the field.

Personally there was no need to be that blitz heavy in that situation. It was 3rd and 20 on the 45 with 30 seconds left. Avoid the 1st down and let them kick a FG or try for a FG.
If it is 3rd and 20 inside their own 10 yard line - fine, go for it. If the play is botched they may have a big gain but you have time to recover.
It was a stupid call and very poor execution by Howard. Maybe he was not injured but benched because of that play.

Back
Top Bottom