Cowher, Simms & Jaworski: Dolphins close to being a Super Bowl contender | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cowher, Simms & Jaworski: Dolphins close to being a Super Bowl contender

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
But CBS' Phil Simms and Bill Cowher and ESPN's Ron Jaworski asserted the Dolphins are ``close'' to being a legit championship contender. ``It's a division up for grabs, and Miami is in a very good position,'' Cowher said. ``They've got a good foundation, are very physical, have a good, young quarterback and solid running game and offensive line. Now go get a playmaker on the outside and work to improve the middle of that defense.''

Simms' take: ``They're really close. I always liked Chad Henne, and I'm now more reinforced he's the guy. They need a playmaker, but it doesn't have to be the prototype receiver. Maybe a Percy Harvin type.''

And don't underestimate defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's hiring, Simms said. ``I am 100 percent convinced he will make it easy on them to succeed. They will make plays because the scheme can beat what the offense is doing. It's a unique style.''
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1467105.html

Some other interesting nuggets from these talking heads:

Boomer Esiason predicted Henne ``will make a huge jump next year and should be one of the NFL's top 10 quarterbacks'' eventually.
Jaworski believes Miami must make linebacker, especially an edge rusher, its top priority and should not trade for Arizona receiver Anquan Boldin: ``He's a descending player.''
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1467105.html

Nice updates, also agree about the Boldin comment. Love the guy, but you simply cannot INVEST a first day draft pick on a guy who's in the bottom half of his career.

Although Boldin is still an effective player, it's just not a smart move in the long term.

Nice updates, also agree about the Boldin comment. Love the guy, but you simply cannot INVEST a first day draft pick on a guy who's in the bottom half of his career.

Although Boldin is still an effective player, it's just not a smart move in the long term.

do you think the person we draft in the 3rd round will be better than boldin would? i really doubt it

do you think the person we draft in the 3rd round will be better than boldin would? i really doubt it

Probably not right away, but I just don't see the fins drafting a WR even in the 3rd round.

I'm kind of torn on the Boldin situation. I wouldn't be pissed if we got him for a good deal but like the quote says in the original post, he's a descending player and not good for the future.

Tough calls to make, but the front office will have their options of which ways to go, and I hope they go down the path of youth in the WR department.

They all saying the same thing we need a playmaker out wide for Henne and that guy should be Dez Bryant and draft LBs later on in the draft there has been talk about maybe Brandon Spikes falling out of the first round so just imagine pick number 1 dez bryant and pick number two brandon Spikes

Probably not right away, but I just don't see the fins drafting a WR even in the 3rd round.

I'm kind of torn on the Boldin situation. I wouldn't be pissed if we got him for a good deal but like the quote says in the original post, he's a descending player and not good for the future.

Tough calls to make, but the front office will have their options of which ways to go, and I hope they go down the path of youth in the WR department.
if we dont get a #1 play making WR IMO we are going to be in the same spot next year as we are this year

if we dont get a #1 play making WR IMO we are going to be in the same spot next year as we are this year

I disagree. No way does our defense perform worse this year. With Ronnie back in and even with some minor additions to the offense we will not be sitting at 7-9.

Even if our D doesn't step up like Denver did last year under Nolan, no way does this defensive corp. let up all those big plays and get spanked early to put our offense in a bad spot to come from behind.

But adding a "#1 play making WR" would obviously only help. And trust me I am all for getting Dez Bryant if he is there, but I just don't think he will be.

I disagree. No way does our defense perform worse this year. With Ronnie back in and even with some minor additions to the offense we will not be sitting at 7-9.

Even if our D doesn't step up like Denver did last year under Nolan, no way does this defensive corp. let up all those big plays and get spanked early to put our offense in a bad spot to come from behind.

But adding a "#1 play making WR" would obviously only help. And trust me I am all for getting Dez Bryant if he is there, but I just don't think he will be.
i only see a couple teams attempting to take Bryant maybe the Seahawks, if the cheifs get rid of Bowe i could see him going there, or the broncos if they end up trading Brandon Marshall. i under stand where you are coming from on the defense part but this draft if loaded with Defense and if we have a shot at Bryant i think that would be to good to pass up that would just make our Offense complete

#1: the rams arnt going to take him with the first pick they will most likly go suh
#2: the Lions already have calvin Johnson who is a stud NFL wr
#3: the bucs might see that as two early for him plus they need to fix other spots more to fill
#4: the redskins will mostly likely go Oline
#5 and 6: i explained already
#7: the Browns i think they really like Massaquoi
#8: the raiders he doesnt have enough speed for al davis plus they just drafted Hayward-bey last year
#9: the Bills they have evans who they really like
#10: Jags Sims-walker
#11: Broncos: already explained it

i only see a couple teams attempting to take Bryant maybe the Seahawks, if the cheifs get rid of Bowe i could see him going there, or the broncos if they end up trading Brandon Marshall

on top of that you have to factor in parcells and company even wanting to make that pick if he is there. I hope they would pull the trigger.

I agree with not trading for Boldin. Stay young. The youth movement is going well. Trading picks for players on the back end of their career is never a wise move. The only time I'd pick up a veteran is in FA.

on top of that you have to factor in parcells and company even wanting to make that pick if he is there. I hope they would pull the trigger.
i agree if he is there i think he is to good to pass up a lot of people last year were saying that he didnt draft skilled postion players and look how that draft went pretty much the whole draft was skilled player i think Dez is a player you cant pass up just like Vontae was a player we couldnt pass up last year

i agree if he is there i think he is to good to pass up a lot of people last year were saying that he didnt draft skilled postion players and look how that draft went pretty much the whole draft was skilled player i think Dez is a player you cant pass up just like Vontae was a player we couldnt pass up last year

Fully agree. Since White and Turner were picked earlier on in the draft and did not make an impact, I'm hoping that won't affect our drafters decision to shy away from skilled players.

With that said I am too pumped for this draft while we are only in February! lol

Back
Top Bottom