Croyle vs Whitehurst | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Croyle vs Whitehurst

I posted this in the VIP section, but this is Brodie Croyle's numbers over his past 15 starts:

3,033 yards
61% completion percentage
20 TDs
4 INTs
7.5 YPA

I think a true reflection of what Brodie brought to that Alabama team is this fact. Over his last 15 starts, Alabama is 13-2. When he went down in 2004, Alabama lost 5 out 8 games.

This is what I have to say about Charlie Whitehurst. He's a 1st round talent with 5th round production. He impressed the hell out of me during his sophomore season, and I was anticipating him to continue to rise and become a first round pick in LAST YEAR's draft. He really bombed his junior season though, and though his play picked up as a senior, he has never been able to match that sophomore season.

Charlie has great size, has a great arm, and is very nimble on his feet. Over the past two years though, it looks like the coaching staff at Clemson didn't trust him to do some things or make certain reads. They got monotenous with their short passingl It's almost as if they were limiting the chances that Charlie had of making a mistake.

whithurst had a good senior bowl, croyle had crap reivers who couldn't catch a balloon. that guy dj hall hes horrible i rmeber seeing drop so much balls

WaxOn WaxOff said:
That doesn't jibe with what I've been told from the combine. I saw a report on NFL network from one of their 'experts' that Whitehurst, despite a shoulder surgery 3 month ago threw 2nd best at the combine (behind Cutler). I've got it TiVo'd.

You may want to check that again because if memory serves me correct Whitehurst choose not to throw at the combine and Mike Mayock beleived that it could come back to hurt Whitehurst especially seeing he threw at that college all-star challenge in Miami. With that being said I will not discredit either of these kids and what they could bring to the table for our franchise. Both have ability, but it will come down to who Saban thinks is more coach-able and a better leader.

Check it...

D-bolt said:
You may want to check that again because if memory serves me correct Whitehurst choose not to throw at the combine and Mike Mayock beleived that it could come back to hurt Whitehurst especially seeing he threw at that college all-star challenge in Miami. With that being said I will not discredit either of these kids and what they could bring to the table for our franchise. Both have ability, but it will come down to who Saban thinks is more coach-able and a better leader.

Dude...It's on my Tivo, I've watched the replay TWICE already. I doubt it's changed since the last time I watched it. The guy starts out by saying that there was a rumor that Whitehurst wasn't going to throw at the combine that was incorrect. He did throw and had the 2nd best arm at the combine. It played in the sum-up show on NFL network late Sunday night. Anyone else see or record it that can satisfy the naysayers? Heck, if I was smart enough to transfer it into a video clip for you I would. (But then again, that might get me a wrap on the nose by the finheaven staff)

LKAT said:
I disagree with the fact you say his decision making and play under pressure big up red flags?? He won many, many games for Clemson on last minute drives, I would say that is under pressure...he also won some big games in Clemson's past 3 year history, I would say that is being under pressure. As far as decision m aking, chooses the right target way more than he doesn't. I dont see how Croyle is better, but then again i didnt see him play much...id have to study some tape, but Whitehurst's weakness isnt falling down under pressure, he steps up......when clemson has needed wins, he has delivered the past 3 seasons...so that is far from the truth.

wrong type of pressure. he has very good resolve and is a good leader (though he did miss wide open recievers twice to beat miami this past season). i'm talking about in the face of a rush- he's never impressed me in that area, and you can't dismiss his questionable decision making, save for his soph. season, which looks more like the exception than the norm.

Wax,
I do owe you an apology as I never saw that he participated, so I'm sorry about that.
Whitehurst is helping himself. According to ESPN Insider:

There were reports that Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst would not work out at this year's combine, but that was not the case. At 6-4½ and 223 pounds, Whitehurst showed up in good shape and put on the most impressive passing display of any of the quarterbacks not named Cutler. Whitehurst's performance will help his cause as he competes with Alabama's Brodie Croyle and Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs in the competition for the fourth quarterback in this year's draft class.

Here is the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=2346494

Thanks, you are obviously a phin of honor...

and here's to honor....if you get honor, stay on her....

BTW... I'm not totally sold on Croyle (durablity) or Whitehurst (decision making). I'm trying to think of a successful NFL QB that DIDN'T have a stellar college career. I guess Brady would fit that, but Whitehurst is no Brady....It's a toss-up between the two (Whitehurst/Croyle).

The biggest thing that stands out at me when looking at Whitehurst and Croyle, is that Whitehurst has much more upside.

I think we have seen some of the best of Croyle already, yet Whitehurst has not reached his full potential.

Put Whitehurst in a consistant system, let his arm heal back- and I think we will have a damn good QB.

Jnaledu3 said:
The biggest thing that stands out at me when looking at Whitehurst and Croyle, is that Whitehurst has much more upside.

I think we have seen some of the best of Croyle already, yet Whitehurst has not reached his full potential.

Put Whitehurst in a consistant system, let his arm heal back- and I think we will have a damn good QB.

actually they are saying the same thing about croyle. He has alot of upside. Durablility a concern.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/brodiecroyle.html

WaxOn WaxOff said:
and here's to honor....if you get honor, stay on her....

BTW... I'm not totally sold on Croyle (durablity) or Whitehurst (decision making). I'm trying to think of a successful NFL QB that DIDN'T have a stellar college career. I guess Brady would fit that, but Whitehurst is no Brady....It's a toss-up between the two (Whitehurst/Croyle).

Thanks,
I definately have no problem admitting when I'm wrong:refuse: Anyways I just want to see us pickup someone who has upside that we can develop and eventually mold into a franchise QB. I wouldn't mind taking a lateround flyer on Ingle Martin.

if we have to take a flier on any of them id like to see whitehurts, then jacobs, stay away from croyle please

Ryan1973 said:
Why is everybody so high on Croyle in the first place? Alabama's offense was terrible last year. If he is so good, he should have been able to put up more points and better stats.

neither did vandy

You see i Believe the diffence is thier brains Croyle actually has one and is smart on the field however whitehart is dumb on the field... my friend likes whitehurst but i dont , i hate him look at his int to td ratio a few years he threw more ints then tds thats not good for a qb

thecoordinator said:
no idea but it would make perfect since for this franchise to go after croyle to add to the legacy of scrub QBs since marino retired. i'd go with whitehurst.

Please do your research before posting ridiculous comments like that. Out of all the second tier QB's, Croyle has the best chance of being a very good NFL QB. He has an NFL caliber arm and from what I've read he's a very intelligent and instinctive player.
If he were 1-2 inches taller, weighed 15 lbs more and didn't have the injury history he would be getting hyped as a top 15 pick.

Back
Top Bottom