cut mare | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cut mare

LarryFinFan said:
Here we go again....Mare is still the 4 or 5 most accurate kicker in the league and his KOs are better than just about anyone elses...
I would tend to agree with you if we were living in 2001 or maybe 2002, but the facts are that for the last 2 years Mare has been loosing his accuracy while getting his leg stronger. Can he improve this year? I am not a fortune teller...

He is the best IMO at boomimg KOs, but that does not equal to points...

Using the Stats section in ESPN

In 2002 he was ranked 11th in the NFL in FG accuracy...

In 2003 he was ranked 23rd in the NFL in FG accuracy...

In 2004 he was ranked 31st in the NFL in FG accuracy...

Kind of a trend here, IMO...

Wow, thats pretty cool. Anyway I really hope he has a come-back season, but, like everyone has been saying, he is getting waayyy too much for a kicker.

In 2002 he was ranked 11th in the NFL in FG accuracy...

In 2003 he was ranked 23rd in the NFL in FG accuracy...

In 2004 he was ranked 31st in the NFL in FG accuracy...

You will also notice that the 1st three kickers in accuracy are ALL Dolphins kickers (Welker, Gramatica, Bryant). And that Mare only had 16 FG attempts. There is no doubt he had not a good year, but this shows one should not overrate stats

Lederhosen said:
You will also notice that the 1st three kickers in accuracy are ALL Dolphins kickers (Welker, Gramatica, Bryant). And that Mare only had 16 FG attempts. There is no doubt he had not a good year, but this shows one should not overrate stats

You are absolutely right, Mare had a bad year last year, he also had a bad year in 2003, and had a good year in 2002...

He had only 21 FG attempts in 2001 (only 5 more than in 2004), and made 19...

The fact is ever since 2001, he has never been close to the same. Since Blevins (kicking coach), got fired for conflict of interest in the end of 2001 (I think), he has not been the same.

IMO, he was one of the best a few years ago, now he is just an average FG kicker who should have an incentive ladden contract to boot (no pund intended). He defenitely not "Mr. Automatic," as he once was, and like a poster on this thread stated, "he will win a few games for us and will also loose a few games for us."

I am not saying that he cannot rebound and have a good year, but the stats are a fact, he is on a downtrend for the last 3 years, not just one...

BrazForPhins said:
the problem is that if he was cut, is someone out there capable of being a starter for us?

chances are if we cut him we would end up with somone worse. the guy has talent i think he could pull through for us this year. I will agree though that he shouldnt have too many more chances. Wish we could grab Janikowski :D

Janikowski????Not the Polish Partier.Fact is Mare is still one
of the best,he is just way overpaid.He need to get back to
his level of play from a few years ago or take a pay cut.

The salary amount is ridiculous for a kicker. Kickers should only be paid higher after re-negotiations on contracts of 1 year, and no more than 3 years, and only upon 99%-100% on extra points and above 50% on FG's over 45 yards. They play sparingly, rarely are involved in contact. A kicker should be a last resort weapon, not like it recently has been...having mare kick 3 FG's and hope the fins d can shut em down. There are far too many areas on the fins roster that need that cap $ more.

no way

dolfan2010 said:
im tired of this guy's bad kicks,we need a new kicker!!!!Last yr he missed alot the yr before he cost us the pats game by missing (2)30 yard kicks!!!missing 40 yard kicks at mini camp..wow has he fallen from the RANKS!!!!But the biggest thing im tired of is his high salary too!!!! What do we pay this guy anyways over 2 million a yr....way too much money on a kicker!!!
:nate: dude that's crazy,been an orange fan all my life and there has been no better kicker to ever come through the big east
he's consistent,,just give him time to heal and you'll regret every word you said...except of course for being overpaid...all kickers are overpaid..but then again that's the nfl...where a mediocre player can make enough in one season to retire on...isn't that what america's all about...lol
go fins

Back
Top Bottom