Cutler headed for a fall?

lazareth

get your chief on...
Reaction score
[admin] This belongs in the draft forum. [/admin]

Interesting speculation...let the flames begin:

ProFootballTalk said:
CUTLER HEADED FOR A FALL?
Over the past few months, we've offered up opinions from various league sources regarding a potential draft-day free fall for quarterbacks Matt Leinart and Vince Young.
We're now hearing that Jay Cutler could be the one who ends up sliding.
Of course, this is the season of misinformation in the NFL. Some teams will hype a guy in the hopes that a franchise selecting in front of them will draft him. Other teams will knock a guy in the hopes that he'll fall to them.
But as to the insights we've recently picked up regarding the assessment of the three quarterbacks projected to be taken in round one of the draft, we're persuaded that the source has no horse in the race -- making his observations far more credible.
The question of when Leinart, Young, and Cutler will be drafted depends in large part on the structure of the teams assessing the picks. "Teams that have a strong G.M. and personnel department draft based on production and value," said the source. "When a coach has more to do with the final say, then they seem to go more on workouts. Scouts spend about eleven months going over the players in their area, finding out about character, work habits, coachability, etc., only to get nudged out by a coach who has worked part time for two months on the same thing and then seems to have all the answers."
But what about the buzz surrounding Cutler?
"I have read over and over the last few months that Leinart and Young have dropped and Cutler has risen in scouts eyes," said the source. "What a joke. What has Cutler ever won? He never had a winning season at Vandy. He lost six games in a row this year. Looked very average at the Senior Bowl and very average at the combine, yet people seem to think he should be drafted in the top ten. Why? Because he has a strong arm?
"Let's see, Leinart and Young have won three national titles between them, have great stats, are very strong leaders, won a ton of games, have solid character and they aren't as good as Cutler who lost six games this year alone and never had a winning season? I thought that a real good quarterback was supposed to make his team better and lead them to wins."

So has Young overcome the hit that he took based on reports of a low Wonderlic score?
"All that sh-t about his test score is bogus," said the source. "He could not have done what he has done at Texas if he was real dumb.
"You mentioned that Young's stock rose after his workout last week. Well, a good scouting dept should have had him near the top of their board all along. All he has done is win. If a team is interested, they will bring him in, get him on board with their offensive staff, and find out how good his aptitude for football is. They will find out that he has a very strong passion for the game and is football smart."
Where, then, should Cutler land? "He doesn't deserve to go in the first round," said the source. "He is not anywhere as good as Patrick Ramsey was four years ago. He went at 31 and has been a bust."
Yikes.
Don't expect this debate to die down. After all, there are plenty of teams with coaches who have a lot of say in the draft process, giving Cutler's workout results greater weight in those cities. And when Leinart, who isn't a big T-shirt-and-shorts guy, has what likely will be received as an average workout on April 2, look for the opinions and projections to continue to conflict and jumble.

Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

lazareth said:
Interesting speculation...let the flames begin:
This article is a joke, the first thing it mentions is that the information is more credible becuase it is not BIASED. That is bull****!! This information is all biased, they are just trying to rise Young stock. What a joke. Well I hope Young stock does rise and he goes in the top two of the draft, it will be fun watching him be another great college athlete and a medicore QB at best. Just like Mike Vick, Randall Cunnigham, Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, Ryan Leaf and the list goes on and on and on. Being a great QB in college does not translate into being a great QB in the NFL.

good, i hope the Jets dont read this article. Then they will have two "busts" on there team and one with an amputated throwing arm.

"Let's see, Leinart and Young have won three national titles between them, have great stats, are very strong leaders, won a ton of games, have solid character and they aren't as good as Cutler who lost six games this year alone and never had a winning season? I thought that a real good quarterback was supposed to make his team better and lead them to wins."

Most of the article seems reasonable but I find question in this segment. Jay Cutler was in a strength and power-loaded SEC conference which caused Vandy to lose more games than say a team in the Pac-10 or Big East would. Leinart had Reggie Bush, a great O-Line, a great everything....What did Cutler have? Thank you for that stunning silence. Texas and Vince Young are the same way.

Would you all say that Dan Marino was a bust (despite the fact that he could be called Mr. Dolphin himself and is arguably [on my list he's the greatest] the greatest QB ever) because he never won the Superbowl?

I think that many people are under the misconception that you need to be Superman to be able to make your team rise and win a National Championship or a Superbowl. All it takes is well coached talent, and a few key players that would step up when the time is needed (hmm sounds a lil' like the new Miami Dolphins :))

rvicious said:
This article is a joke, the first thing it mentions is that the information is more credible becuase it is not BIASED. That is bull****!! This information is all biased, they are just trying to rise Young stock. What a joke. Well I hope Young stock does rise and he goes in the top two of the draft, it will be fun watching him be another great college athlete and a medicore QB at best. Just like Mike Vick, Randall Cunnigham, Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, Ryan Leaf and the list goes on and on and on. Being a great QB in college does not translate into being a great QB in the NFL.

but the article does raise some good points.

I'm not saying I'm in the know, I've only seen the Cutler kid play in the Senior Bowl. Based on that, I want him nowhere near my beloved Dolphins, and won't be scared at all to seem him go to the Jets.

greatwade said:

I'm not saying I'm in the know, I've only seen the Cutler kid play in the Senior Bowl. Based on that, I want him nowhere near my beloved Dolphins, and won't be scared at all to seem him go to the Jets.

I feel quite the opposite. I've seen him play many many times with a weak supporting cast and go toe to toe with much higher competition.

This reminds me about a qb that fell in the draft.... MARINO!!! we all know how he turned out... i think jay will be a top ten pick... if he happens to fall to us i would not have a problem drafting him

this guy talks about cutler not winning enough games at vanderbilt lol. i guess he's overlooking the fact that vanderbilt plays in the SEC and probably has less talent than any other team in that league.

ya this is totally a biased article that I do not believe was written by a journalist or scout, or any anyone with coaching experience. This is either something written by a fan or some hot headed radio personality. Almost comical, that whole thing about victories doesn't mention that the QBs played at USC, Texas, and VANDERBILT(who?).

SpeedRush99 said:
I feel quite the opposite. I've seen him play many many times with a weak supporting cast and go toe to toe with much higher competition.

as a Gator fan, I gather you've seen him a heck of a lot more than me. As I said I only watched the senior bowl. Did you watch that??? He looked below average.

Maybe its the haircut, something about him I just don't like. Time will tell I suppose. He sure seems to have a ton of fans, so maybe he'll be a great pro.
It is such a hard thing to predict and the deck is always stacked against young QBs, especially ones that go early first to crap teams.

greatwade said:

And considering the situation we have now with Culpepper, i'd much, much rather have a veteran backup and the Lemon on the bench.

Back
Top Bottom