Cutler headed for a fall? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler headed for a fall?

greatwade said:
I'm guessing this thread belongs in the draft forum.

Lol, good way to avoid a heated arguement, jk. I agree though, this has nothing to do with the Miami Dolphins

Argos31 said:
ya this is totally a biased article that I do not believe was written by a journalist or scout, or any anyone with coaching experience. This is either something written by a fan or some hot headed radio personality. Almost comical, that whole thing about victories doesn't mention that the QBs played at USC, Texas, and VANDERBILT(who?).
it is just one guy quoting something that a source told him and his own speculation...take it for what its worth...

greatwade said:
I'm guessing this thread belongs in the draft forum.
probably right...i didn't think of that...i was too busy thinking what fun this could be in the zoo :chuckle:

you kno cutler reminds me of kyle boller... strong arm, good athleticism, rising up the boards...

i remember when boller was coming out, carson palmer and byron leftwich were the top 2 QBs, but after senior bowl, combine, prodays, everyone put boller into that mix and some even said he could/should go higher than leftwich...

kinda like lienart and young, and cutler getting into the mix... boller had all the measurables you could want in a QB, just like cutler does... kinda eerily similar

Re: Cutler

It's difficult to take any evaluation of a quarterback seriously when it begins by impugning a quarterback for not winning at Vanderbilt, the Duke of the SEC. Is this "unbiased" observor really trying to compare Cutler's odds for success at Vandy to those of Matt Leinart at USC, or Vince Young at Texas? How many NFL draft picks does Jay Culter have the luxury of playing with at Vanderbilt? Cutler beat Tennessee. Nearly beat Florida. Culter was SEC Offensive Player of the Year. He put up huge numbers in arguably the best conference in the land. Which is more then can be said for either Leinart, or Young. Comparing Cutler's career at Vandy to Patrick Ramsey's career at Tulane is a farce. What SEC schedule does Tulane play?

Look at a player like Vince Young, whose Wonderlic score supposedly doesn't matter. Young played three years and had one good season. He's famous for three performances, against Michigan, Ohio State and USC. He ran for twice as many touchdowns in those games combined, as he threw. Against Ohio State he threw as many interceptions as touchdowns. He never took snaps from under center. He played in a read-option system where he was required to make one "read" then run with it. He doesn't have a strong arm. Do a thought experiment. If either Matt Leinart, or Vince Young are quarterbacking Vanderbilt would they be any better? Or possibly worse? If Culter is quarterbacking Texas, or USC, are they still national championship contenders? I think so. If winning was the sole measure of a quarterback, Ken Dorsey, Danny Wuerffel, and Craig Krenzel would have been All-Pros in the NFL. I see more and more evidence that critical thinking skills are now extinct, replaced by a video game mentality and desire among the media to create "feel good" hype. How else could you explain the unjustifiable euphoria about Vince Young's limited skill set, or the similar rubbish about Michael Vick when he came out.

I just hate these articles that use these "sources" that provide us no idea as to who is saying it. I'm not talking about names, but what position they hold and in what organization. This could be the janitor for the Texans for all we know. This could be the writer's "alter ego". I mean honestly, who is this "source" to make that kind of an assessment.

greatwade said:
as a Gator fan, I gather you've seen him a heck of a lot more than me. As I said I only watched the senior bowl. Did you watch that??? He looked below average.

Maybe its the haircut, something about him I just don't like. Time will tell I suppose. He sure seems to have a ton of fans, so maybe he'll be a great pro.
It is such a hard thing to predict and the deck is always stacked against young QBs, especially ones that go early first to crap teams.

Yes I saw the Senior Bowl. He did look somwhat average. Although I don't put much, if any, stock into the actual game. Playing with unfamiliar teammates in a different system with only a few practices doesn't say much about his abilities IMO. I put much more stock into his play at Vandy.

If Cutler is such a big star why didn't he go to the U of Miami or Notre Dame or some other major power? Why, if he's so dominant did he end up at Vandy? Was he not that great coming out of High School? I ask these questions because I don't know.

Where, then, should Cutler land? "He doesn't deserve to go in the first round," said the source. "He is not anywhere as good as Patrick Ramsey was four years ago. He went at 31 and has been a bust."

Yikes

Yes and at what spot did Tom Brady get drafted at? Or how about Kurt Warner? Jake Delhomme even? Yes, after spot 30, any QB drafted is probably as good as shorts and T-shirt at the Meadowlands in December.

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

BSQX4 said:
If Cutler is such a big star why didn't he go to the U of Miami or Notre Dame or some other major power? Why, if he's so dominant did he end up at Vandy? Was he not that great coming out of High School? I ask these questions because I don't know.

He went to Vandy because they were one of the very few that wanted him to be a QB. Most the other schools wanted him to be a safety.

WISfinfan13 said:
good, i hope the Jets dont read this article. Then they will have two "busts" on there team and one with an amputated throwing arm.
Well said. :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

I think the article is right on and is what i have been saying all along. I dont care what anyone says, Cutler is overrated and VY is being downed by people who are basing something on what happened at the combine. The combine is becomes a deciever in the market. I only go by what my own two eyes see in the end. VY is a champion and so is Leinert. If you were throwing bank at QB's in the draft, you should start here. peoples assertions are based on what they think the prototypical QB should be and not what the intangibles are required to be a great QB. Dan Marino should not be remembered for his quick release, he should be remembered for being a winner and putting the team on his back.

I am really tired of listening all these experts, saying who will be grat and who won't. I bet if we look back most of the predictions by these so called experts have been inaccurate. I mean how many stories do we need to read about guys who were drafted on the bottom or on the last round and today are starting and playing aon a regular basis for their teams. It is the same thing with their predictions, I dont think that any of them picked the steelers to wint the SB. At the end of the day is just a guess, period.

Back
Top Bottom