cutler to lions doesnt make sense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cutler to lions doesnt make sense

amir7

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
in alot of mock drafts i see the lions taking cutler, why? im hearing that they plan on giving harrington another try. im also pretty sure millen fired mariuci becaused he started garcia over harrington. plus, millen knows he on really thin ice and this year will determine his future with the lions. so why would he take a qb that would need 2-3 years to develope. i think he drafts a player who can jump in and contribute right away such as michael huff,tamba hali,winston justice etc. so i dont think cutler will go to the lions, but weirder things have happened in the past. any thoughts

you are exactly right the only team we need to worry about is arizona and i think they will land culpepper but with that it brings up a nother team the Vikings.

amir7 said:
in alot of mock drafts i see the lions taking cutler, why? im hearing that they plan on giving harrington another try. im also pretty sure millen fired mariuci becaused he started garcia over harrington. plus, millen knows he on really thin ice and this year will determine his future with the lions. so why would he take a qb that would need 2-3 years to develope. i think he drafts a player who can jump in and contribute right away such as michael huff,tamba hali,winston justice etc. so i dont think cutler will go to the lions, but weirder things have happened in the past. any thoughts

look i would rehire spielman before i hire millen....3 WRs in the first round...that tells you
A-he doesnt have a head on his shoulder
B-he can do ANYTHING with that pick-just becuase a pic doesnt make sense doesnt mean he wont go for it...i will be suprised if he doesnt go with Senorice Moss in his first rounder

dolfan3431 said:
you are exactly right the only team we need to worry about is arizona and i think they will land culpepper but with that it brings up a nother team the Vikings.

true, but im hearing a 2nd rounder could do the trick, so we would only have to worry about a trade up from them

We don't have anything to worry about? How do you know that Cutler is the real deal and won't turn out to be the next Joey Harrington? Joey Harrington had a great combine as well, and he actually had a good game in the Senior Bowl, unlike Cutler.

Stop buying into the Cutler hype. We have to draft defensively the first round. Since Sammy Knight and Patrick Surtain left, and Junior Seau is now washed up, we need defensive backs.

Vertical Limit said:
Since Sammy Knight and Patrick Surtain left, and Junior Seau is now washed up, we need defensive backs.

What does Seau have to do with defensive backs:confused:

Im sorry but we can't keep ignoring the QB position anymore, If we can get cutler you get him you dont pass up on QB's that are 6-4 225 pds and have an arm.He is a prospect just like ELI just like Alex SMith.

Vertical Limit said:
We don't have anything to worry about? How do you know that Cutler is the real deal and won't turn out to be the next Joey Harrington? Joey Harrington had a great combine as well, and he actually had a good game in the Senior Bowl, unlike Cutler.

Stop buying into the Cutler hype. We have to draft defensively the first round. Since Sammy Knight and Patrick Surtain left, and Junior Seau is now washed up, we need defensive backs.

when did i say we had nothing to worry about with cutler. of course there is a chance he wont be the real deal along with every other player in the draft. how do we know this DB of yours wont be the next jamar fletcher? players get hyped up for a reason, they have loads of talent and are drawing attention for one reason or another. like i said before, i dont know if cutler will be the great qb people make him out to be but its better than trying to turn some teams 2nd stringers into probowl caliber qb, or trying to find a tom brady in the 6th round. by the way, im pretty sure the last time we drafted a qb in the 1st round it worked out pretty well:wink:

FinAtic8480 said:
Im sorry but we can't keep ignoring the QB position anymore, If we can get cutler you get him you dont pass up on QB's that are 6-4 225 pds and have an arm.He is a prospect just like ELI just like Alex SMith.

i totally agree:up:

I say if by some chance Cutler falls to us at #16 fine, draft him with our 1st round pick...however, I do not think he's valuable enough to trade up for...If he goes before us which he more than likely will, then so be it, we draft a player like (Huff/Williams/Greenway) in the first and grab a Qb in the 2nd or later rounds like (Croyle/Whitehurst/Jacobs)...but again I trust Saban and his evaluation of talent, and whatever he decides I will back 100%..

FinAtic8480 said:

Size and arm strength... the two most overdrafted qualities a quarterback can have.

Sure, they're both great to have... but when you are drafting BECAUSE of those two qualities... be very nervous.

I would be far more impressed with Cutler if his two biggest strengths were accuracy and decision making... instead they are his two biggest weaknesses.

And he's not just like Eli or Alex Smith... they were both winners who did well in important games. Cutler was 5-6 and tanked on his big chance at the Senior Bowl.

I am not saying Cutler stinks. I AM saying that the mania for him is way overblown... and I think largely driven by people who never watched him.

In_Flames said:
I say if by some chance Cutler falls to us at #16 fine, draft him with our 1st round pick...however, I do not think he's valuable enough to trade up for...If he goes before us which he more than likely will, then so be it, we draft a player like (Huff/Williams/Greenway) in the first and grab a Qb in the 2nd or later rounds like (Croyle/Whitehurst/Jacobs)...but again I trust Saban and his evaluation of talent, and whatever he decides I will back 100%..

I agree. I like Cutler, but I'm not sure I wanna trade up for him, depends on what we have to give up. I'd LOVE to have him on our team, but as QB is the easiest position to bust at, it's not a risk I'm willing to take in our "rebuilding" years. I'd be VERY happy with Jay Cutler in round 1 assuming we took him 16 or moved up one or two spots, and I'd be VERY happy with Huff in round one (I love that guy and want to see him on our team, he was in on like EVERY PLAY in the Rose Bowl, against the "unstoppable" USC offense) and Croyle in round two. Not Sure how I feel about Whitehurst, and I'm not even CLOSE to being sold on Jacobs, but I could go for Brodie. I go back and forth everyday though. Sometimes I think we can't wait any longer for a QB and Cutler is within reach and a great talent so lets do it, then other times I think, well, Gus ended up getting the job done for us with the win streak at the end and it looked like they finally found rhythm and we could get by with Gus for a little longer and the D, mainly secondary, got beat a lot which in a few games may have been a direct cause of our loss so we should get a DB with our 1st rounder.

nopony said:
Size and arm strength... the two most overdrafted qualities a quarterback can have.

Sure, they're both great to have... but when you are drafting BECAUSE of those two qualities... be very nervous.

I would be far more impressed with Cutler if his two biggest strengths were accuracy and decision making... instead they are his two biggest weaknesses.

And he's not just like Eli or Alex Smith... they were both winners who did well in important games. Cutler was 5-6 and tanked on his big chance at the Senior Bowl.

I am not saying Cutler stinks. I AM saying that the mania for him is way overblown... and I think largely driven by people who never watched him.

Actually, Cutler's accuracy has been praised by many, it's not a weakness at all. I can't speak for his decision making though.

And Smith wasn't a winner, he was a product of a gimmick offense, I know that is a cliche or overused phrase but he was, Alex Smith on any other team or system would not have been a 1st rounder, nevermind the #1 overall. To say CUTLER can't win because his TEAM'S record was 5-6 is ridiculous, without Googling it, or looking it up aywhere, name me 3 more players from Vandy, hell, name me ONE more? The team was wretched and yet Cutler still got them wins and had good numbers, he carried that team on his back, and, to me, that is MUCH more impressive than anything Matt Leinart ever did with his "SUPER" team. To lead a miserable team to 5 wins basically by yourself shows leadership, poise, and skill, and that is a player I want on our team, especially as our leader. I'd much rather have a QB in that situation than one in Leinart's, who, with the exception of my Longhorn's beating him in the Rose Bowl, doesn't know what it is to lose. Who do you think is going to be more comfortable stepping into the role of a team that has some struggles, the "wonder boy" who never loses and had 2 1st round RBs, great WRs, great OL, and a great TE around him in college, or a guy who comes in already knowing how to deal with losses and struggles and who WASN'T surrounded by talent and still went ALMOST .500? I'd rather have a kid who had no weapons or help and GIVE him weapons and help to work with then have a kid who had every offensive weapon you could possibly want and then not be able to match that here. Yea, our offense got the job done, but ever single guy on it isn't a star like USCs.

FinAtic8480 said:
6 Jay Cutler QB 6-3 219 Vanderbilt this was taken from the senior bowl website

dolfan3431 said:

culpepper wont pass the physical.

Back
Top Bottom