cutler to lions doesnt make sense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cutler to lions doesnt make sense

Take it easy guys, Nick's not gonna give picks away.We need more than just one player anyway.I think we'll go Greenway or Huff at 16 or move down instead of up.Plus a lot of what we do will depend on free agency.

Ozzy rules!!

Actually, Cutler's accuracy has been praised by many, it's not a weakness at all. I can't speak for his decision making though.

Hm. Every scouting report I have read says one of his biggest question marks is accuracy.

And Smith wasn't a winner, he was a product of a gimmick offense, I know that is a cliche or overused phrase but he was, Alex Smith on any other team or system would not have been a 1st rounder, nevermind the #1 overall.

i am not a Smith fan and didn't mean to imply that I was. My point was that he was not a good compare to Cutler.

To say CUTLER can't win because his TEAM'S record was 5-6 is ridiculous, without Googling it, or looking it up aywhere, name me 3 more players from Vandy, hell, name me ONE more?

I didn't say he couldn't. But he hasn't proven that he CAN. That was the thing, for example, about Rivers. Rivers proved that he had that quality of finding a way to win one way or another. Cutler hasn't.

Not saying he can't. Just saying there's no reason to believe he can.

And I think it DOES make a difference when you're looking at someone like Cutler, who is used to losing and a guy like Vince Young, who was 34-2. Not ALL the difference, but you have to take it into account. Young found ways to win games he should have lost.

The team was wretched and yet Cutler still got them wins and had good numbers, he carried that team on his back, and, to me, that is MUCH more impressive than anything Matt Leinart ever did with his "SUPER" team.

Shrug. We could debate the context... whether Leinart's team helped him more than Cutler's team hurt him... but I'd take Young or Leinart every single day of the week over Cutler. Cutler has a ton more question marks than either of those guys.

Please don't compare him to Alex Smith or Eli Manning. Eli has proven that he is a bad decision maker. The first bad decision he made was going to the Giants instead of the Chargers. He has been very inaccurate all season. At the beginning i gave him praise and thought he was gonna be great. But after seeing more and more of him play I realize he isn't as great as he is hyped out to be.

As for Alex Smith he's another guy that I haven't really seen anything good from.

Compare Cutler to a Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is the best quarterback out of that group that have gotten their chance so far.

houtz said:
Please don't compare him to Alex Smith or Eli Manning. Eli has proven that he is a bad decision maker. The first bad decision he made was going to the Giants instead of the Chargers. He has been very inaccurate all season. At the beginning i gave him praise and thought he was gonna be great. But after seeing more and more of him play I realize he isn't as great as he is hyped out to be.

As for Alex Smith he's another guy that I haven't really seen anything good from.

Compare Cutler to a Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is the best quarterback out of that group that have gotten their chance so far.

Cutler/Roethlisberger isn't a good comparison.

Big Ben was HUGELY accurate (69%) with an incredible touch. He had 30 points higher rating in college.

He was also very successful.

Cutler isn't close to the draft prospect Ben was.

The only player I'm willing to trade up for is Vince Young.

If Saban is confidennt enough with Cutler and Cutler falls to us then sure take him.

There are plenty of guys that will be there at #16 that will be able to step in and help us right away and have little downside to their career.

I'm gonna love quoting some of you experts a year or two from now, you that base your sole judgement on one all-star game where a player has to learn a new playbook in one week, with all new teammates, all new coaches etc etc......

I read thru some of these threads and just roll laughing at some of you.

Vertical Limit said:
We don't have anything to worry about? How do you know that Cutler is the real deal and won't turn out to be the next Joey Harrington? Joey Harrington had a great combine as well, and he actually had a good game in the Senior Bowl, unlike Cutler.

Stop buying into the Cutler hype. We have to draft defensively the first round. Since Sammy Knight and Patrick Surtain left, and Junior Seau is now washed up, we need defensive backs.

And how do you KNOW he's not? This crap of "playing it safe" and drafting defense instead of addressing our #1 need - QUARTERBACK is outrageous. We have not had a QB since Marino. Let's stop the madness and land a QB! NO MORE LEFTOVERS! If Cutler is there at #16...WE GRAB HIM! No question about it! :refuse:

If Harrington is the starting QB next year without drafting a replacement the Fans are going to not show up. My step dad has had season tickets for 20 years and him and all of his season ticket buddies are all going to give up there tickets if Harrington is brought back and might either way unless Millen is fired. Boy do they all hate Joey up there.

Brad528 said:
If Harrington is the starting QB next year without drafting a replacement the Fans are going to not show up. My step dad has had season tickets for 20 years and him and all of his season ticket buddies are all going to give up there tickets if Harrington is brought back and might either way unless Millen is fired. Boy do they all hate Joey up there.

That why I really look for them to bring in a FA like Ramsey or McCown to compete with Harrington. Drafting a rookie QB would probably mean a 2 yr. development period. Millen KNOWS if the Lions do not show improvement THIS year...his "goose is cooked".

BlueFin said:
I'm gonna love quoting some of you experts a year or two from now, you that base your sole judgement on one all-star game where a player has to learn a new playbook in one week, with all new teammates, all new coaches etc etc......

It's almost like Wanny and Speilman have multiple identities and sign-ons. :sidelol:

nopony said:
Cutler/Roethlisberger isn't a good comparison.

Big Ben was HUGELY accurate (69%) with an incredible touch. He had 30 points higher rating in college.

He was also very successful.

Cutler isn't close to the draft prospect Ben was.

Big Ben also played on a MUCH better team than Cutler. Keep that in mind. :wink:

BlueFin said:

No kidding

Agent51 said:
I agree. I like Cutler, but I'm not sure I wanna trade up for him, depends on what we have to give up. I'd LOVE to have him on our team, but as QB is the easiest position to bust at, it's not a risk I'm willing to take in our "rebuilding" years. I'd be VERY happy with Jay Cutler in round 1 assuming we took him 16 or moved up one or two spots, and I'd be VERY happy with Huff in round one (I love that guy and want to see him on our team, he was in on like EVERY PLAY in the Rose Bowl, against the "unstoppable" USC offense) and Croyle in round two. Not Sure how I feel about Whitehurst, and I'm not even CLOSE to being sold on Jacobs, but I could go for Brodie. I go back and forth everyday though. Sometimes I think we can't wait any longer for a QB and Cutler is within reach and a great talent so lets do it, then other times I think, well, Gus ended up getting the job done for us with the win streak at the end and it looked like they finally found rhythm and we could get by with Gus for a little longer and the D, mainly secondary, got beat a lot which in a few games may have been a direct cause of our loss so we should get a DB with our 1st rounder.

Actually, Cutler's accuracy has been praised by many, it's not a weakness at all. I can't speak for his decision making though.

And Smith wasn't a winner, he was a product of a gimmick offense, I know that is a cliche or overused phrase but he was, Alex Smith on any other team or system would not have been a 1st rounder, nevermind the #1 overall. To say CUTLER can't win because his TEAM'S record was 5-6 is ridiculous, without Googling it, or looking it up aywhere, name me 3 more players from Vandy, hell, name me ONE more? The team was wretched and yet Cutler still got them wins and had good numbers, he carried that team on his back, and, to me, that is MUCH more impressive than anything Matt Leinart ever did with his "SUPER" team. To lead a miserable team to 5 wins basically by yourself shows leadership, poise, and skill, and that is a player I want on our team, especially as our leader. I'd much rather have a QB in that situation than one in Leinart's, who, with the exception of my Longhorn's beating him in the Rose Bowl, doesn't know what it is to lose. Who do you think is going to be more comfortable stepping into the role of a team that has some struggles, the "wonder boy" who never loses and had 2 1st round RBs, great WRs, great OL, and a great TE around him in college, or a guy who comes in already knowing how to deal with losses and struggles and who WASN'T surrounded by talent and still went ALMOST .500? I'd rather have a kid who had no weapons or help and GIVE him weapons and help to work with then have a kid who had every offensive weapon you could possibly want and then not be able to match that here. Yea, our offense got the job done, but ever single guy on it isn't a star like USCs.

So you don't like Leinart because he won at the college level? Yea thats some serious logic there. Look you like Cutler, thats great but Leinart did everything possible at the college level and has the size, arm and intangibles to make it at the pro level. Sorry taking a bad team to .500 isnt more impressive than taking a team that everyone is gunning for to like 20something straight wins. Thats a feat on any level, regardless of talent. He played great in clutch situations against great teams, he didnt lose that Rose Bowl. Youre stretching to dump on Leinart, theres no question that he was easily the better college player, theres no arguement to it.

Back
Top Bottom