Damar Hamlin | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damar Hamlin

Commotio Cordis most likely. Trauma to the chest causes your heart to stop. Luckily medical professionals were on stand by and probably did cpr and aed within 1-2 minutes. The chance of survival usually depends on how fast you receive treatment.

It has been speculated it was caused by blunt force trauma. The scary thing is is that it was a routine hit.

Per Damars Media Agent

“I can’t speak specifically on his medical condition,” Rooney told Robin Roberts. “I will say that he’s fighting, he’s a fighter. . . . The family is in good spirits. We’re honestly just taking it minute by minute, hour by hour.”

It has been speculated it was caused by blunt force trauma. The scary thing is is that it was a routine hit.
My understanding of commotio cordis is that it doesn’t take much force. It’s the freak timing of a hit in the chest at a certain instance of your heart beat cycle that shuts it all down. It would explain how he got up before passing out. You’re still powered by the last heartbeat for a few seconds. It happens mostly to young athletes getting hit with a ball in the chest. Chris Pronger caught a slap shot to the chest once, got up skating a stride and then went down. He made a full recovery but his situation, while scary as hell, didn’t appear as severe as Hamlins.

The good news is that they had people there to get him started again as quickly as he could be. Hopefully that will be enough for the best outcome.

My understanding of commotio cordis is that it doesn’t take much force. It’s the freak timing of a hit in the chest at a certain instance of your heart beat cycle that shuts it all down. It would explain how he got up before passing out. You’re still powered by the last heartbeat for a few seconds. It happens mostly to young athletes getting hit with a ball in the chest. Chris Pronger caught a slap shot to the chest once, got up skating a stride and then went down. He made a full recovery but his situation, while scary as hell, didn’t appear as severe as Hamlins.

The good news is that they had people there to get him started again as quickly as he could be. Hopefully that will be enough for the best outcome.

Commotio Cordis most likely. Trauma to the chest causes your heart to stop. Luckily medical professionals were on stand by and probably did cpr and aed within 1-2 minutes. The chance of survival usually depends on how fast you receive treatment.
As a lacrosse coach and father of an ex goalie, commotio cordis is something I’ve been acutely aware of for years.

Here in atlanta, a school had to use an AED on a lax goalie about 5 years ago.

My school has 10-15 AEDs on campus and all coaches have been trained on their usage. In fact, a bball player had to be shocked at my school about a year ago because he went into cardiac arrest (not commotio cordis).

Anyway… The nature of the hit to his chest suggests that may be the cause.

What doesn’t make sense is that I haven’t seen that they used an AED on him.

My understanding is that commotio cordis is almost like a short circuit —- and that a shock will get the heart going again 99% of the time.

They must have AEDs on site at games.

As we have all been saying, my heart goes out to the young man and his family.

But as a coach responsible for young people, I want to know what happened, why, and if they treated him properly. If something like this happened to one of my boys, I don’t think I could step on a field ever again.

I mean to be honest how and the Hell do the Bills get ready to play Sunday. No player is gonna want to play football until Hamlin is awake and stable.

Think of the mental trauma Soldiers First responders get watching CPR on a co worker. You have to imagine the same if for a fellow player that is essentially your family for 6 months.

As a lacrosse coach and father of an ex goalie, commotio cordis is something I’ve been acutely aware of for years.

Here in atlanta, a school had to use an AED on a lax goalie about 5 years ago.

My school has 10-15 AEDs on campus and all coaches have been trained on their usage. In fact, a bball player had to be shocked at my school about a year ago because he went into cardiac arrest (not commotio cordis).

Anyway… The nature of the hit to his chest suggests that may be the cause.

What doesn’t make sense is that I haven’t seen that they used an AED on him.

My understanding is that commotio cordis is almost like a short circuit —- and that a shock will get the heart going again 99% of the time.

They must have AEDs on site at games.

As we have all been saying, my heart goes out to the young man and his family.

But as a coach responsible for young people, I want to know what happened, why, and if they treated him properly. If something like this happened to one of my boys, I don’t think I could step on a field ever again.

Yeah they used an aed that’s how they got his heart started again.

CC is an incredibly rare thing not only does it have to be an impactful hit but it also has to be timed just as the heart is beating. If they hit took place in between beats then nothing would of happened.

Back
Top Bottom