Damon signs with Yanks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damon signs with Yanks

Phinz4Life said:
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano
(Dont really want to mention, but, Jaret Wright)

Spot Starter: 10-0 Aaron Small

With the bullpen additions, and the lineup, I'm liking it.

Mussina is trash, as is a "miserable" Pavano, Wang looked pretty good though.

Aaron Small is a career minor leaguer. As a Red Sox fan, if your rotation depends on a guy like Small, I'm loving it.

The lineup is insane though, no questions asked there. But the lineup hasn't been the problem for you guys the past couple of years.

Phinz4Life said:
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano

That's cool if you like that pitching staff.

I think that a lot of Yankee starters pitched over their heads last year (like Small, Leiter and Chacon). I really don't think Small is going to win 10 games for the rest of his life and Chacon in my opinion is going to come back down to earth, give him a full year in the AL and you'll see.

Also you have to watch out for the injury bug with Wright. Mussina always breaks down towards the end of the year. Johnson is another year older. And Pavano wasn't good when he pitched in NY. Wang is pretty good in my opinion but again, like Wright, he's an injury risk.

The Yankees aren't getting younger like a lot of other teams in the AL East. They're going to be in trouble in a few years.

Yankees just keep getting older, though I like the line-up

CF-Damon (L)
SS-Jeter (R)
3B-ARod (R)
1B-Giambi (L)
RF-Sheffield (R)
LF-Matsui (L)
C-Posada (S)
DH-?????
2B-Cano (R)

SMadison29 said:
Yankees just keep getting older, though I like the line-up

CF-Damon (L)
SS-Jeter (R)
3B-ARod (R)
1B-Giambi (L)
RF-Sheffield (R)
LF-Matsui (L)
C-Posada (S)
DH-?????
2B-Cano (R)

They have a great line up. But the Yankee don't realize that they signed Johnny Damon to be Bernie Williams Jr. in CF.

Phinz4Life said:
Randy Johnson
Mike Mussina
Shawn Chacon
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano

The only pitcher I would want on my team from that list is Wang.

Comment from JohnNY Damon:

"New York came after me aggressively and that's what sealed the deal... I'm headed to New York... I'm very excited... It's with mixed emotions... Time for me to look forward.

“They came after me aggressively. We knew George Steinbrenner’s reputation. He wants to have the best players… (I’m) now part of the Yankees with a great lineup. We’re going to be tough to beat. No (the Red Sox did not match the offer), I talked to Tito and I told him they had to ‘really get going’… (I) had other plans, I’m not sure if they knew I meant it but I’m a Yankee. Hopefully now they’ll go off and get one of the center fielders they’ve been courting for the last month or so.

“Our policy with the Yankees is to go out there and win… Goof leadoff men are tough to find and I think the Yankees found the best leadoff hitter in the game.

“(Red Sox) fans are going to be upset. I hope they remember the great World Series and the three out of four years we made the playoffs. I appreciate them… I tried to come back.

“…Go out and win a World Series, that’s what I have to do.†-- 12.20.05, Johnny Damon on CBS4 News Boston

Why cant just once a player come out and say "Hey I took the money"? Also Red Sox fans shouldn't think of Damon as a traitor. Because let's face it the guy came to Boston because they offered him the most money back in 2001. The guy is and always has been a money whore. Now let the war in NY between Damon's stripper wife and Benson's stripper wife begin.

Aaron Small is nothing to write home about. He had a fantastic 2005 but is just as liable to go 0-10 in 2006. Wright stinks. Pavano is unhappy. Wang is good. Mussina is getting older, and Johnson ain't no spring chicken, either. The lineup is strong as usual, but I'd have to agree that the rotation leaves plenty to be desired.

well, this really hurts... it can not be overstated how loved Johnny Damon had become in Boston, and you wonder if he either a) never truly recognized it, or b) never really enjoyed it... i mean, if you have no ultimate loyalty to the team you just won a world series with, don't agree to be such a media darling in movies, commercials, pranks, etc. ...

it's like Roger Moore asking the Nike CEO Phil Knight: "So, you're a billionaire. That's cool and all. But wouldn't it be ok to just be a half a billionaire?"

Yankee fans will crow about this one. And they should. This will get them back to having a fine leadoff hitter, and perhaps their entire lineup back to waiting for pitches like they did when they ruled. Behind that ridiculous lineup, he could easily score 150 runs...

Damon's health will surely be key.... At 32, he's not shown any signs of slowing down, and you might say '05 was his second best year, statistically... Second only to '04... 18-1 steals? .316 average?

Figuratively, about $10 million of this deal is just George's gamesmanship against Boston... Just another example of how New York just outspends everyone to guarantee success...

Nothing ever lasts in pro sports today... Oh well... Here's hoping we get Crisp...

Here's a name i've heard in some circles... Torii Hunter?... a free agent after '06, but the Twins would ask for a lot...

FaninPatsyLand said:
4 years, 52 Million.

Enjoy him New York...

Oh we will! :up:

Defensively, his arm may not be any better than Williams', but he's speedy and can cover a lot of area out there in the big Yankees stadium field, especially left center. Offensively, well we ALL know how good he is in that department, plus he can steal a base or two....one thing that was in decline last season.

CF Damon
SS Jeter
3B Rodriguez
RF Sheffield
LF Matsui
1B Giambi
DH Williams ???
C Posada
2B Cano

That's "Murder's Row" right there! There's hardly any holes in that lineup, if any. I know pitching wins champs and all that, but WOW! I think we got a line-up capable of overcoming that. Not only that, but with the recent signings of Farnsworth and Dotel, we're vastly improved in the bullpen.....clearly a glaring weakness last season. Closing shouldn't be a problem, needless to say. Rivera is one of the best in the business.

Our starters may not be the best in the majors, but they are still a force to be reckoned with. If Mussina can step it up and Johnson stays relatively healthy, we'll have one heck of a one-two punch. Wang and Small, although young, show a lot of promise and upside. Chacon, Pavano, and Wright have their moments as well, good and bad. There's a lot of time left in the offseason, so we'll probably go after another starter or two.

2006 looks like it could be a return to glory for the Yanks. It'll be exciting to see if we could transform all that talent into results on the field. The key is to avoiding another slow start as we had last year. Consistency is going to be the key.

CalDolFan10x14 said:

There's a lot of time left in the offseason, so we'll probably go after another starter or two.

hell, why stop at one or two? why not 3, 4 aces from other teams? i mean, money's no option, right?

i'm convinced George is terminal or something and racing against the clock to remove that sour taste and buy that elusive title...

Cano's the only guy in that lineup not making $10M a season... :rolleyes:

CalDolFan10x14 said:

Blah, Blah, Blah..

Pitching wins, bottom line. Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Small and quite possibly Chacon (i'll hold off judgement on him) are all garbage.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Blah, Blah, Blah..

Pitching wins, bottom line. Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Small and quite possibly Chacon (i'll hold off judgement on him) are all garbage.

We'll see this season, buddy. We'll see. It's not like the Red Sox lineup is that much better. Wakefield may be your best pitcher with that knuckler, but when that fails, it's like watching a homerun derby. Schilling??? How is he going to hold up this season? He's still got game, but his best days are faaaaaar past him. Wells? He has his moments and plays tough all the time, but he's another one who probably won't hold up through the whole season. Clement and Arroyo (when he starts) are good, but nothing special. Beckett may be an up-and-comer, but I haven't seen enough to judge him.

Judging from your current bullpen, it isn't a pen to write home about. Timlin and Foulke are the only ones who would give the opposition a hard time. Other than that, the Sox bullpen is below average. They're going to have to get some big innings out of their starters to get to their one-two punch of Timlin/Foulke. It could be a tough time pitching-wise for the Red Sox unless they get another name or two, or someone out of the 'pen steps up and makes a name for himself.

Back
Top Bottom