Dan Campbell defends decision to punt late vs. Cowboys | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Campbell defends decision to punt late vs. Cowboys

Sorry, Dan. I'm pulling for you to succeed, but punting was the wrong call.

While I understand your thinking......it was the wrong call. I believed it was wrong when he made it and I believe it now.

What you are describing is what "could" have happened. I think that doesn't jive with both the condition of the defense at the time and the mind set of the team.

What also "could have happened"....is that he showed some guts, had faith in his offense (about as iffy as the faith in the defense) and picked up the first down and continued on to score. This would have supported his ongoing comments about toughness, aggressiveness and playing to win.

He chose the weaker mentality in my opinion.

Yeah, I know my post is what "could" have happened but so is yours. You made assumptions about us scoring and stopping them based on our "mindset." Come on! They proved they could ram it down our throats so the decision to go for it or not is really meaningless since it was a two score game. Regardless, I'm just saying not going for it isn't the worst call in the world. The situation was playing out perfectly until we gave up a first down on a 3rd and 14 RUN.

buddy we have the worst obvious situational play defense in the league...3rd and 15 screams draw play or screen and we are so lost on either of those it's not funny...what could help with that?

a god dang mike with freaking instincts who can alert everyone to situational tendencies...

Well, they did at the end of the first half yesterday and they did at the end of the half last week so you were saying....?

Do you think you "told me" or something? Miami had 200 yds of offense all day and was 1-10 on 3rd downs. They weren't getting TDs easily.

It was the right call. Offense was **** yesterday, like most of the season.

It was defintely dumb. You have to go into strike mode at the point. Get points at the very least that drive THEN rely on the defense

Dan Dumbell is an idiot. This is an NFL franchise, and we have a guy who doesn't know when to call a time out, or know when to punt as our HC.

This isn't a place you get the job as a HC, and then do on the job training.

He needs to go back and learn from a competent HC.

His fate is sealed. After doing and saying all the right things for a couple weeks dude went from Rambo to Phailbin. Hes as queasy as Joe. Time to find a new guy.

I wonder if Campbell would be happy to stay with the team and go back to TE coach lol

It was the right call. Offense was **** yesterday, like most of the season.

That makes no sense. The call to punt was done so because Campbell expected to get the ball back twice and the Dolphins would score on those possessions. If the offense was ****, as you say, the call he went with made no sense.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Told you? I answered you question. Don't be so insecure.

You know nothing about me to label me insecure. You answered my question by stating they scored a TD before the half, as if that's an indication they can score easy TDs. That is incorrect.

People look at this without thinking. IF we had stopped Dallas from getting a first down on THIRD AND FOURTEEN, we would have had the ball back with 4:30 left around the 40-50 yard line. We could have easily scored a TD before the two minute warning from there and kickoff normally, stop Dallas and use our timeouts to get the ball back around our 20-40 yard line with 1:30-2:00 minutes left to go for the tying or winning score. We could have even kicked a FG if the first drive after getting the ball back stalled out. Of course, the defense didn't step up in crunch time.

In the end, the punt and subsequent defensive collapse is all meaningless anyways. So what if we made the 4th and 6 and went on to score a TD? Dallas proved they could just run it down our throats in crunch time and our defense would collapse. So, what difference does it make?

That's what happens when the defense is on the field for over 40 minutes a game
while the offense is well rested only playing 20 minutes

Yeah, I know my post is what "could" have happened but so is yours. You made assumptions about us scoring and stopping them based on our "mindset." Come on! They proved they could ram it down our throats so the decision to go for it or not is really meaningless since it was a two score game. Regardless, I'm just saying not going for it isn't the worst call in the world. The situation was playing out perfectly until we gave up a first down on a 3rd and 14 RUN.

I think I was pretty clear in my post that my scenario is what "could" have happened like yours was, so I don't need to address that again.

But what you are saying is the situation played out perfectly until it didn't. That doesn't really do anything for me.

Look, there was risk in either decision he made.....no question. But going for it in that situation would have supported all of the rhetoric coming from Dan Campbell up to this point. He chose the safe route.....instead of the aggressive one. I would have expected Philbin to make the exact same call that Dan did......and while I wouldn't have liked that either, I at least wouldn't have been surprised by it.

Back
Top Bottom