Dan Campbell defends decision to punt late vs. Cowboys | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Campbell defends decision to punt late vs. Cowboys

You know nothing about me to label me insecure. You answered my question by stating they scored a TD before the half, as if that's an indication they can score easy TDs. That is incorrect.

You asked when we last scored an easy TD, which misses the point btw, and I gave you two instances ( I also never claimed this is some indication we score easy TDs). You came back with a reply as if I attacked you. That's insecure, dude.

The bottom line is that in situations like these, if coaches had trust in their QB, they want the football in his hands. To me it showed that Campbell has no trust in Tannehill whatsoever.

I think I was pretty clear in my post that my scenario is what "could" have happened like yours was, so I don't need to address that again.

But what you are saying is the situation played out perfectly until it didn't. That doesn't really do anything for me.

Look, there was risk in either decision he made.....no question. But going for it in that situation would have supported all of the rhetoric coming from Dan Campbell up to this point. He chose the safe route.....instead of the aggressive one. I would have expected Philbin to make the exact same call that Dan did......and while I wouldn't have liked that either, I at least wouldn't have been surprised by it.

Aggressive doesn't necessarily mean irrational. 4th ad 6 from your own end while down two scores is a do or die situation. I believe I showed that punting, getting the D to stop them, and giving the offense a fresh set of downs is a viable option in that scenario and not the "career ending" decision some people want to make it.

Aggressive doesn't necessarily mean irrational. 4th ad 6 from your own end while down two scores is a do or die situation. I believe I showed that punting, getting the D to stop them, and giving the offense a fresh set of downs is a viable option in that scenario and not the "career ending" decision some people want to make it.

and when has this d ever stopped anyone situationally in the last year at least? if I got seattle d in the last 3 years yep im punting but when im running out there with the worst damn lb core maybe in the history of the game screw that we going for it

and when has this d ever stopped anyone situationally in the last year at least? if I got seattle d in the last 3 years yep im punting but when im running out there with the worst damn lb core maybe in the history of the game screw that we going for it

Then the call to punt didn't matter. We needed two scores and if the defense is just going to fold after the first "assumed" score, what difference does it make if we will never get the ball on offense again?

Then the call to punt didn't matter. We needed two scores and if the defense is just going to fold after the first "assumed" score, what difference does it make if we will never get the ball on offense again?

theres a thing called an on side kick...but regardless getting within a score to tie or win and then asking our d to get a stop there should have been the call...now do I think this d would have gotten that stop? nope...not if they called a draw or a screen if we did get them in 3rd and long

You asked when we last scored an easy TD, which misses the point btw, and I gave you two instances ( I also never claimed this is some indication we score easy TDs). You came back with a reply as if I attacked you. That's insecure, dude.

Verbatim you said:

We could have easily scored a TD before the two minute warning from there and kickoff normally, stop Dallas and use our timeouts to get the ball back around our 20-40 yard line with 1:30-2:00 minutes left to go for the tying or winning score.

You're saying Miami was going to be able to score easily from midfield. You back yourself up by telling me they scored a TD before the half which is why they'd be able to score before the 2 minute warning.

The two situations aren't synonymous with each other.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

If the D was going to be able to stop them, you go for it on 4th and 6. If you fail, the D can stop them anyway. You said so yourself.

It was a very, very poor decision. Of course we all knew what he wanted to have happen, but winning after punting requires a bunch of variables to line up perfectly as opposed to just making a 6 yard conversion. The offense was going to have to convert either then or later. Punting made winning a long shot if not an impossibility.

You're saying Miami was going to be able to score easily from midfield. You back yourself up by telling me they scored a TD before the half which is why they'd be able to score before the 2 minute warning.

They would have had to score "easily and quickly" even if they converted the 4th down. We were down two scores with a little over 6 minutes left. If you don't think we can score easily, then I guess we should have just quit on 4th down and left the field.

The two situations aren't synonymous with each other.

Sure it is. They're both require hurry up offenses, two minute drills, or whatever you want to call it.

If the D was going to be able to stop them, you go for it on 4th and 6. If you fail, the D can stop them anyway. You said so yourself.

Stopping a team on D inside their own 10 yard line and from your 40 after giving the ball up on downs ARE NOT SYNONYMOUS.:lol:

Campbell knew that with a 4th and 6, Lazar would have dialed up a 4 yard pattern and they would have iced the game with another score.
All three phases of the game played poorly. We were not winning that game. The decision didn't matter.
Dallas, at 2-7 played like a team that wanted it more.
We are playing out the string now.

The offense was not functioning yesterday we are playing with 2 touchdown Tanny and a lot of hope. Game over if Tanny does not convert and lets face it we have missed converting 4 and 1 a few times this year even at the goal line so why "bet" 4th and 6 will work. Suh and Vernon were making some plays at least if I gamble yesterday it would be on those guys not the offense. Under 5 minutes sure but 6 plus minutes was the margin. Plus our defense was already worn out after being on the field 88 plays last week against a terrible Philly team that got blasted by Tampa Bay yesterday. We won last week because of a blocked punt and lots of defense with a little offense spread in. This team is reminding me of the Marinio days where the defense spent the majority of the time on the field but with Marino we were scoring some not so much now.

6:37 is an eternity. Had it been 4th and 3 or less perhaps he goes for it. Not going for it earlier in the game was worse.

They would have had to score "easily and quickly" even if they converted the 4th down. We were down two scores with a little over 6 minutes left. If you don't think we can score easily, then I guess we should have just quit on 4th down and left the field.

An easy score to me is an 80 yd TD pass where the WR goes uncovered. Miami is notorious for methodical drives that take all day to materialize. You're arguing this?

Back
Top Bottom