Darlington: Suh, Wake jell; Philbin opening up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darlington: Suh, Wake jell; Philbin opening up

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Observations

1) On the day Ndamukong Suh signed his monster deal with the Dolphins, the hulking defensive tackle went out to dinner with an interesting and appropriate person: Cameron Wake. Talk about getting off on the right foot. This partnership might actually be football's version of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade joining forces on the Heat. Suh and Wake are getting along great -- and that's bad news for opposing teams. The Dolphins' defensive front, which already was stocked with talent -- don't forget about underrated 24-year-old Olivier Vernon -- should be one of the absolute best units in team history, now that Suh is a part of the group. Both Suh and Wake look spectacular in training camp so far. Expect Miami to field one of the league's most productive pass-rushing units in 2015 and beyond.

Extra point

After failing to make the playoffs or post a winning campaign during his first three years in Miami, head coach Joe Philbin obviously enters this season on the hot seat. There's no question about it. But rather than acting nervous in the face of immense pressure, Philbin seems to be taking a different approach: He's opening up.

During a team meeting on the day veterans reported to camp, Philbin deliberately talked about his personal life, trying to help his players form a better understanding of who he is. This is a good move for a coach who has struggled to create much of a connection with his players to this point -- especially since so many of his former players in Green Bay still say what a tremendous person Philbin continues to be to them. Few in South Florida have seen that side of Philbin in his role as a head coach, so maybe this new transparency will help build some important camaraderie during a critical year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ins-training-camp-ndamukong-suh-cam-wake-jell

I can't blame Philbin for being closed off in previous years. He (and his family) went through some tough personal ****. That's hard to talk about for awhile for some people.

I can't blame Philbin for being closed off in previous years. He (and his family) went through some tough personal ****. That's hard to talk about for awhile for some people.

But his tragedy happened before he took control of the Miami Dolphins. I'm not trying to sound callous, but we needed a coach to come in here with more than a business like attitude. If him and his family were struggling with personal stuff, then maybe it was not time to coach yet. No beef with that, but if you're not in a place to come in here and put all of yourself into the Miami Dolphins, then why interview so soon?

Another article about how Joe is being more human. Shocked. Just don't know what year this is from. Joe is so lucky to have this job. Should have been canned last season.

Joe Philbin can be a human, a cyborg, half-man/half-pig, whatever.

Just don't make any boneheaded late game decisions, Joey, and we should be okay this season, mmmkay?

I like Philbin and wish him the best....those that understand their shortcomings and are willing to work on them can find success. Honestly there wasn't much out there as far as coaching candidates that I saw as an upgrade over the current head coach.

Like most of our guys I'm rooting for him. I never thought about it before, but if he does attain great success, there may be made for tv movie in his life, what with GB success, his son, bullygate, and then an ascent to world domination for 10 years straight. You hear me Lifetime?

But his tragedy happened before he took control of the Miami Dolphins. I'm not trying to sound callous, but we needed a coach to come in here with more than a business like attitude. If him and his family were struggling with personal stuff, then maybe it was not time to coach yet. No beef with that, but if you're not in a place to come in here and put all of yourself into the Miami Dolphins, then why interview so soon?

I can guarantee there is not a day that Joe does not think of his son. That **** never goes away. Time helps.

And you cannot blame him for still trying to improve his professional life in the midst of the chaos. If anything, that's admirable.

He understood that life goes on and he was still trying to better himself and put his family in a better position, while dealing with the personal ****.

Also, which candidate, at that time, that we interviewed was the unquestionable better of the two? Zero.

Philbin was a rookie when they hired him, and the roster he got that first year was horrendous with a rookie QB with less than ideal experience at the position. His gm was Ireland ffs... Now as much as I think he should have got canned after last season... I'll still root for him and hold on hope that he improves, which he seem to be committed to do.... he got a raw deal at the most crucial point in his professional career. There's tons of reasons why I don't like him as a HC, but I'm willing to let it play out for one last season and see if he can pull it off... At the very least, that QB he inherited just keeps on improving, that's a positive...

Personally it appears Joseph Philbin is a decent human being. I have nothing against the man nor the way he has conducted his life. And the loss of his son is a subject I feel we should leave alone and stick to the football stuff.

That said, I have asked the question before, with no legit answers from his supporters on this forum, but WHAT does he bring to the table that gives the Miami Dolphins a WINNING ADVANTAGE week in and week out? Peeps point out his organizational chops or "attention to detail," but those skills are basic requirements for an NFL HC. The problem is that Philbin has demonstrated no SPECIAL ability that qualifies his for such an elite position (1 of 32 in the world). He's just "average," or "adequate."

Some say most NFL HCs are only "average" (or nothing special) as if that justifies Philbin's tenure. But admitting that only underscores the fact that Philbin IS "average," which is precisely the point of being a 500 level performer. So we can only assume that Philbin needs superior talent and everything being "just right" around him to win (above 500). Yet, if he faces similar talent with a truly "above average" HC he'll lose.

So let's cut to the chase; does ANYONE here really believe we're LUCKY to have such a great HC? Seriously, if you're a true blue Philbin supporter, say YES! Tell the rest of us he's a GREAT NFL HEAD COACH. If you can't assert that, without reservations, then you're effectively admitting he's nothing SPECIAL. Once we establish that fact we can then debate if Philbin is just "average or actually "below average."

So far, in my opinion, he's demonstrated a tendency to choke and lose the team. So I'd say a tick "below average" with some degree of upside. But he's NEVER going to be a Great HC.

But hey, I'm like totally OK for him to prove me wrong.

I always ask, if not Philbin, who? we were left at the alter again, and he was a hot coordinator.

I like Philbin and wish him the best....those that understand their shortcomings and are willing to work on them can find success. Honestly there wasn't much out there as far as coaching candidates that I saw as an upgrade over the current head coach.

of course not one available coach, nfl coordinator or college coach would be an upgrade over philbin. That's almost laughable and the same reason we kept sparano or why people accepted it

of course not one available coach, nfl coordinator or college coach would be an upgrade over philbin. That's almost laughable and the same reason we kept sparano or why people accepted it

What are the odds?

Like I've said before, we've been saddled with crappy (or "average" at best) HCs for so long peeps don't have a clue what a really good HC is all about -- and what a DIFFERENCE he makes!

There isn't a person here than can't say they haven't made a mistake before. What's important is if you learned anything from it.

For sure, hiring the wrong HC is a big mistake.

Back
Top Bottom