Darlington: Suh, Wake jell; Philbin opening up | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darlington: Suh, Wake jell; Philbin opening up

Go on record right now and tell us if Chip Kelly is a good coach or not. On one hand he failed at motivating his team at the end of the season(s). On the other hand he had Mark Sanchez (and basically a rookie Foles after a red shirt year in 2013). I honestly don't know if he's good or not, did he make Nick Foles or if Nick Foles make him? Finding out the answer is one of the most intriguing aspects of the 2015 season for me.

As for Philbin he's average, he's dependent on talent to have success. But imo like 90-95% of coaches are in the same boat, including many super bowl winning coaches. There are very few truly elite coaches in the league at any moment, Jim Harbaugh and Belichick for sure, maybe John Harbaugh, maybe Bruce Ariens. Then you've got a bunch of average guys. Then you've got a few dimwits like Tony Sparano and Jason Garrett.

In 2011 Ross tried to hire the best coach to come to the NFL this century. In 2012 he made the best choice of his available options by a mile. And in 2014 he (probably) tried to hire Harbaugh again. The team is, albeit slowly, turning around. The fans are coming back. No matter how its ends it'll be one of the most exciting seasons we've had in a long time. Thats a guarantee. I give Ross a lot of credit for making it happen.

I give Ross just as much blame for extending people based on middling work at best. As for Chip Kelly he is a good coach and a bad personnel guy and that will be his undoing.
Also how is Philbin better than Mike MCoy by a mile? Im not a big fan of either coach. Also not sure how Garret is a dimwit and Philbin is not but ok.

Also back to Kelly his team faded down the stretch last season, Philbin's teams have done that every year.

every coach needs talent to be successful. I don't think there's a coach that has taken a team to the big game devoid of talent.

I think Philbin has his strengths and weaknesses as a coach. He has done some good and done bad. Do I think he's a genius? Nope. Do I think he's the hopeless dope some make him out to be? Nope.

As I said last year as well, if a coach wants to become great they are willing to change who they are and what they believe and not do it half assedly. If he's truly trying to change it'll more than likely work. Remember, Tom Coughlin was about to get run out of New York then he changed his entire philosophy. Not saying Joe will lead us to 2 Super Bowls, but change can happen.

Tom Coughlin was one of the most successful inaugural head coaches on in NFL history with the Jaguars, so comparing him in NY to Philbin here doesn't work because he had lead very successful season before while Philbin hasn't.

But his tragedy happened before he took control of the Miami Dolphins. I'm not trying to sound callous, but we needed a coach to come in here with more than a business like attitude. If him and his family were struggling with personal stuff, then maybe it was not time to coach yet. No beef with that, but if you're not in a place to come in here and put all of yourself into the Miami Dolphins, then why interview so soon?

It's amazing how people are giving you thumbs down. Your not being a dick about it just stating facts. I agree, it's a business, if you're not ready then don't put yourself out there. However on the flip side, some people use work as a getaway from the problems surrounding their life. Maybe it was more about the change of scenery for him. Put the past in the past. Some people in here just think " wow what an asshole, this guy has no heart talking about Philbin like that"

Back
Top Bottom