Darlington: Suh, Wake jell; Philbin opening up | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darlington: Suh, Wake jell; Philbin opening up

There isn't a person here than can't say they haven't made a mistake before. What's important is if you learned anything from it.

i wish ross would learn from his mistakes of extending subpar people for his team

Personally it appears Joseph Philbin is a decent human being. I have nothing against the man nor the way he has conducted his life. And the loss of his son is a subject I feel we should leave alone and stick to the football stuff.

That said, I have asked the question before, with no legit answers from his supporters on this forum, but WHAT does he bring to the table that gives the Miami Dolphins a WINNING ADVANTAGE week in and week out? Peeps point out his organizational chops or "attention to detail," but those skills are basic requirements for an NFL HC. The problem is that Philbin has demonstrated no SPECIAL ability that qualifies his for such an elite position (1 of 32 in the world). He's just "average," or "adequate."

Some say most NFL HCs are only "average" (or nothing special) as if that justifies Philbin's tenure. But admitting that only underscores the fact that Philbin IS "average," which is precisely the point of being a 500 level performer. So we can only assume that Philbin needs superior talent and everything being "just right" around him to win (above 500). Yet, if he faces similar talent with a truly "above average" HC he'll lose.

So let's cut to the chase; does ANYONE here really believe we're LUCKY to have such a great HC? Seriously, if you're a true blue Philbin supporter, say YES! Tell the rest of us he's a GREAT NFL HEAD COACH. If you can't assert that, without reservations, then you're effectively admitting he's nothing SPECIAL. Once we establish that fact we can then debate if Philbin is just "average or actually "below average."

So far, in my opinion, he's demonstrated a tendency to choke and lose the team. So I'd say a tick "below average" with some degree of upside. But he's NEVER going to be a Great HC.

But hey, I'm like totally OK for him to prove me wrong.

Great players make great coaches. He's been close to average as has the team.

As a dolphins fan I'm rooting for Philbin but it's hard to believe that he is anything but a glorified coordinator. A coaching change sets us back a couple years but the end of last season would of been a perfect time to make a change.

of course not one available coach, nfl coordinator or college coach would be an upgrade over philbin. That's almost laughable and the same reason we kept sparano or why people accepted it

Name them....name these available coaches...

Great players make great coaches.

Interesting theory.

So you think the NFL is like the NBA, a players league with coaches making marginal differences?

I certainly could be wrong, but I still believe the NFL is a coaches league (and of course your have to have a legit QB).

jim harbaugh dan quinn alot of college coaches

Harbaugh only wanted to go back to college...so no?

College coaches...who?

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

I don't think its a fans job to research and develop a list of qualified HC candidates. But that does NOT deny their existence.

So....you say they exist, but you can't name them....

I was once told many years ago that people who complain should do so with identifying solutions to the problem...then the complaint can and should be taken more seriously as opposed to simply whining without any real foundation to the compliant.

I think that in a lot of cases, players can make the coach, to a degree. The coaches that are thought of as great usually have some great talent on the roster. We have talent now, IMO. Time for them to make the coach look great.

So....you say they exist, but you can't name them....

I was once told many years ago that people who complain should do so with identifying solutions to the problem...then the complaint can and should be taken more seriously as opposed to simply whining without any real foundation to the compliant.

People have a right to be dissatisfied and what change. The solution is supposed to be for the "experts." If you want to pay me full time to research HC candidates and evaluate them it’s a different point. Otherwise your "argument" is essentially an attack on having an opinion unless you have ALL the answers. I don't believe that.

I think that in a lot of cases, players can make the coach, to a degree. The coaches that are thought of as great usually have some great talent on the roster.

You mean Phil Jackson?

People have a right to be dissatisfied and what change. The solution is supposed to be for the "experts." If you want to pay me full time to research HC candidates and evaluate them it’s a different point. Otherwise your "argument" is essentially an attack on having an opinion unless you have ALL the answers. I don't believe that.

Then, if you don't mind, give some detail as to your reason why Philbin should be removed. Granted, having an understanding of the college and NFL coaching landscape is something I don't expect many except the football nerds like myself to have more the a laymen's understanding so as far as replacements we can leave that as TBD. I assume though you have reasons...potentially an under achieving team (though most have consistently argued quite well that many faults rested in the overall roster especially when you consider the low number of players voted into the pro-bowl or on the top 100 list, the poor play of the o-line, the number of injuries...). Could it be his questionable calls at the end of the game, though I don't think any are near as bad as the decision Pete Carroll made in the Super Bowl (a coach who most believe to be significantly better then Philbin). His bland personality?

Personally, I root for Joe every day. He's the coach and you should root for him too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom