Dave Hyde nails it. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave Hyde nails it.

I know we have a very average at best OL, Im not saying they're good. Im saying if you're going to try and build your OL through the draft, you have to account for the fact it wont be a quick fix, patience is required. Throwing picks at the group and expecting them to be top 10 their rookie year is delusional.
You are making a point, at the end of the day everything is a gamble in between what we think a players ceiling is. Our ceiling was so low in 2019 for our offensive line that three rookies starting seem like a leap in terms of improvement but in real numbers we were still ranked bottom 5.

I already have for height 2 years ago... I didnt do weight because, well I didnt see any reason to tbh. The only thing weight might be a factor is injuries but even then, from the research I've read, it either doesnt matter or is tilted a bit towards more weight = more injuries... So there's that...

Here's the WR height vs Yds/tgt:

View attachment 66131
I assume we are talking about Smith here. I don't see his height as an issue. I have more concerns about him being manhandled, and being knocked off his routes by aggressive DBs.

I already have for height 2 years ago... I didnt do weight because, well I didnt see any reason to tbh. The only thing weight might be a factor is injuries but even then, from the research I've read, it either doesnt matter or is tilted a bit towards more weight = more injuries... So there's that...

Here's the WR height vs Yds/tgt:

View attachment 66131
Love that chart style by the way. Similar to a stock charting method.

The offensive line regressed from the Denver game on, so an argument can be made adding additional lineman would, only help improve the lines final pedestrian numbers.

Whether or not that means drafting Sewell at #3 or someone else later, remains to be seen. But offensive line is still an issue, inspite of the additions in 2020.

As for WR, a lot is being made of lack of separation issues. But in winning 5 of their last 9 games in 2019, without Preston Williams, not much was being said about separation issues. What's changed from 2019?

I've recently read Miami knows it needs better options at WR, specifically in the slot. So its possible and very likely they'll address the issue early and quite possibly often in the 2021 draft and potentially in F/A?

If you have lineman that can't open holes in the run game and WR's who can't get open consistently; you get what you saw in 2020. It was a **** show. Fitzpatrick for the most part utilized the jump ball skills of all of his recievers. Kudos to him. Miami needs to fix both problems if they are going to maximize Tua's abilities. No other options.

I see where you are coming from but I disagree brother. In terms of roster distribution and building, adding another tackle doesn't fix the main issue that crippled our offense. We have already invest significant resources into the line and adding another 1st rounder on top of the money and picks used on the line means somewhere else will suffer.

Our running backs and recievers simply are not good enough to compete with the best teams in the league. Adding Smith, Harris etc plus free agency is the biggest priority. I'm all for getting another linemen, just not at 3. Let's face it, anyone other than Parker and gesicki needs to be out the door because that performance the the last three games was ugly. No separation, dropped passes just one mistake after another. It has to be fixed and be the biggest priority
Jazz come on brother, you are in the Smith Harris wagon too lol. No one in here is even giving players like Gaskin the benefit of the doubt. Harris wouldn't be able to do anything here with our run blocking ability. We are actually not a very good run blocking team right now, and yet you guys want to upgrade everything except the line. That is like upgrading to a new car and still using 4 tires that got no thread left.

I actually like Dave Hyde and have enjoyed reading his articles over the years.

I haven't agreed with him in about 15 or 20 years.

Something happened along the way, and since then all his takes have been wrong, wrongy, wrongo.

I assume we are talking about Smith here. I don't see his height as an issue. I have more concerns about him being manhandled, and being knocked off his routes by aggressive DBs.
Smith was 2nd to only Pitts vs press in college. His long arms and technique far outweigh is lack of bulk. And how much does 10-15 pounds really change when you think about it? There's also the fact that 1st round SEC WRs pan out at much higher rate(double) than players who arent, weight really is not a concern for me. And like I said, there's really no tangible evidence that it should actually be a concern.
Love that chart style by the way. Similar to a stock charting method.
Yeah they really dont work the same obviously but its a quick and easy way to look at different distributions.

For those not familiar:

1613584058574.png

Phins have many paths they could take. If they think Sewell is head and shoulders better than the rest of the tackle class, I don't think it's unreasonable to take him. #1 priority is keeping Tua upright and giving him a clean pocket. The o-line did a good job of keeping him upright, but not so much on giving him a clean pocket. Not to mention run blocking needs significant improvement, which would also help Tua. More help is needed on the line, whether it's a tackle, and moving Hunt to guard or it's another guard and maybe a center. It doesn't need to be Sewell, of course, it will all depend on the opportunity cost.

I actually like Dave Hyde and have enjoyed reading his articles over the years.

I haven't agreed with him in about 15 or 20 years.

Something happened along the way, and since then all his takes have been wrong, wrongy, wrongo.
I don't care for his writing, but I do enjoy the Xs and Omar show on You Tube.

Smith was 2nd to only Pitts vs press in college. His long arms and technique far outweigh is lack of bulk. And how much does 10-15 pounds really change when you think about it? There's also the fact that 1st round SEC WRs pan out at much higher rate(double) than players who arent, weight really is not a concern for me. And like I said, there's really no tangible evidence that it should actually be a concern.

Yeah they really dont work the same obviously but its a quick and easy way to look at different distributions.

For those not familiar:

View attachment 66138

I really haven't been against Smith being drafted cause of his weight. In fact I am more likely to talk about Marvin Harrison, and other receivers that have had success in the nfl. His route running , and things he does in routes make him a good prospect regardless of how much he weights. Now at 3rd overall that is where I have a problem.

Phins have many paths they could take. If they think Sewell is head and shoulders better than the rest of the tackle class, I don't think it's unreasonable to take him. #1 priority is keeping Tua upright and giving him a clean pocket. The o-line did a good job of keeping him upright, but not so much on giving him a clean pocket. Not to mention run blocking needs significant improvement, which would also help Tua. More help is needed on the line, whether it's a tackle, and moving Hunt to guard or it's another guard and maybe a center. It doesn't need to be Sewell, of course, it will all depend on the opportunity cost.

Drafting Sewell is just what people only see. Drafting Sewell actually improves the synergy of the line by moving Jackson to Right Tackle, Hunt to RG, and keeping flowers at Left Guard.

Back
Top Bottom